Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 1898 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
just wanted a place to save my thoughts, progress, modifications, photos, etc. i'm going to try to start taking more photos and videos to update this thread with as time goes on. unfortunately, i'm probably starting this too late but i'd rather start now than never. i really appreciate all the support i've received through this site and a few key members. figured if even one person benefits from my tribulations and trials, then this thread is worth while.

2008 wrb sedan

mod list updated, 08.04.12
** = purchased and to be installed

engine:
- built short-block
- full-race twin-scroll kit
- bw 70/64 IWG twin-scroll turbo
- bw 76/70 EWG twin-scroll turbo
- aquamist hsf-4 meth injection system
- jdm powdercoated long-runner intake manifold
- custom intake
- kstech 6.5mm phenolic spacers
- kstech air pump delete set
- kstech air injection delete
- gs ebcs
- beatrush pitch stop
- custom vibrant fmic
- killer b optimal oil pan
- killer b ultimate oil pick up
- killer b ultimate baffle windage tray
- walbro 255lph fuel pump
- id1000 injectors
- ngk "one step colder" spark plugs
- crawford AOS
- invidia q300 dual-exit resonated cbe

transmission & drivetrain:
- 05 sti 6 speed transmission swap
- dccdpro (spiider) universal dccd controller w/ oem sti controls
- act xtreme performance street disk/pressure plate
- act streetlite flywheel
- dss custom carbon fiber driveshaft
- cobb or TWM 6mt short shifter
- jdm v7 r180 rear differential
- hybrid rear axles (GR outer w/ jdm v7 inners)
- beatrush 6mt transmission mount
- group n motor mounts
- group n crossmember transmission bushings
- whiteline rear differential mount inserts
- cobb front/rear shifter bushings

body & exterior:
- quad bi-xenon projectors
- jdm power folding mirrors
- jdm spec-c roof vent
- ccfl "angel eyes" on all four projectors
- camlock bumper fasteners
- kstech scoop delete
- triple a-pillar pod
- grillcraft lower grill
- k2gear side mirror indicator lights
- beatrush skid plate
- custom antenna delete
- 20% tint all around, 5% sun strip

braking:
- sti brembos (front/rear)
- stoptech performance pads
- 04 wrx master cylinder/booster
- goodridge ss brake lines
- ate superblue
- dba slotted rotors

cooling:
- koyo radiator
- mishimoto radiator hoses
- subtle solutions radiator shroud

interior:
- jpm coachworks interior
- jl audio 10w6v2 sub
- jdm black trim/pillar pieces
- jdm candy-red hazard button
- srp pedals
- pioneer avic-z120bt headunit
- audio integrations custom sub enclosure
- alpine mono 1000w amp
- alpine 4 channel amp
- infinity 2 way component speakers front/rear
- infinity custom recessed tweeter in door cards
- battery relocation to trunk
- smy dual gauge pod
- damd d shape blue stitch steering wheel
- defi boost and oil pressure gauges
- lc-1 w/ db gauge
- vei vrd v1 radar gauge
- STI shifter trim swap
- STI front seats
- STI airbag
- avojdm av panel
- lathewerks shift knobs
- custom black microsuede headliner

suspension:
- feal 441 coilovers
- perrin subframe lockdown system
- whiteline anti-lift kit
- whiteline rear diff mount inserts
- whiteline gearbox mount bushings
- whiteline roll-center & bump-steer kit
- whiteline upper control arm rear camber kit
- whiteline front inner control arm bushings
- whiteline rear trailing arm bushings
- whiteline rear adjustable lateral/toe arms
- avo steering rack bushings
- perrin f/r endlinks
- perrin f/r "hard" sways
- cusco type II lower bar
- cusco front member power brace
- cusco rear member power brace
- cusco rear lower power brace
- cusco front strut tower bar
- paranoid fender braces
- megan rear lower control arms

wheels & tires:
- dunlop direzza sport z1 star spec 265/35-18 (summer duty)
- rota DPTs 18x9.5 +44 (summer duty)
- 04 STI BBS on dunlop wintersport 3Ds (winter duty)
- roll & pull all four corners

maintenance:
- 39.3k miles filled with motul 5w-40 oil change due at 44k
- 42.3k miles UOA received 08.29.2011 with 3k on oil (3k on oil)
- 44.3k miles UOA received 12.11.2011 with 5k on oil (5k on oil)

i'll try to be diligent and keep the list updated and keep the thread updated with plans/goals accordingly. thanks for reading...

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: monkiboy - build journal

congrats on this, you can now be totally stalked! Everyone hit the subscribe button!

I plan on making one of these as well
thanks. it'll be nice to be able to keep track of things and the various milestones. i wish i started earlier.

it'd be nice to have a section specifically for people's build journals as there is just so much you can do and we all have different goals, it really is helpful and enjoyable to read someone's elses progress.

g'luck getting yours started!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

Dang, you have a lot of mods done and your list is uber long! hahaha... What do you do often with the car other than a DDer?? Do you do frequent auto-x/track? Drag?

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

so quick synopsis. i'm stage three on a tp map w/cai and fmic on my 08 with a pretty comphrensive suspension build that i'm happy with for the time being.

the shop that does the work i can't do is IAG in westminster, md. they are a subaru specialty shop that does it all and does it all very well sans body shop work while providing exceptional customer service.

current situation is that my car is at iag getting the ppg setup/tranny removed and replaced with the stocker tranny that i thankfully kept and didn't sell. the ppgs, despite being a helical setup, had a whine that i could not handle as i suffer with migraines on the regular and drive at times in excess of 100 miles a day. i'm sure someone else can put this setup to very good use and actually enjoy the amazing build from rallispec.

with this in mind and what i have planned for the car, which i'll discuss in a moment, i wanted to make sure i had an adequate drivetrain setup. so the plan for right now is a six speed swap from an 05 sti. i'm researching and sourcing the few parts now.

i've locked down an appt for june 28 july 12 (earliest available) to have the wheels and tires mounted, the whiteline roll-center & bumpsteer kit installed, the perrin psrs/alk installed, have all four corners rolled and pulled, and finally to have it aligned. i've very excited about my uber cheap wheel setup, but alas it's a month away.

i'm doing the wheels/tires end of june, then rather immediately the six speed swap, selling the stocker 5 speed, and then working "the build."

the build currently, which has been completely revised at least six times in the last year, will be a twin scroll gt3076R with the .82ar housing or perhaps if i go bigger a twin scroll borg warner s300sx 83/75. this obviously involves the appropriate headers/manifold, uppipe with dual EWGs, downpipe, intake, etc. now i've done a good bit of research and am continually reading and have narrowed my selection to the full-race kit or the currently about-to-go-production moore performance kit, both of which are pretty complete.

another option is to have my shop fab up their own. once presented with my new ts plans, iag seemed very excited to give it a go and up to the task. this would be ideal in regards to fitment as each piece would literally be made for my specific application in house and no modifcations would need to be made to a kit that was designed for multiple applications, different chassis, etc. full-race is obviously a staple in incredible quality and product design so we shall see what happens.

my goals are ~440whp/wtq with full spool @ ~3650 on 93 octane. from the limited twin scroll plots i've been seeing this seems doable with the right mods and tune.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

wow man, you got lots of mods. good job so far!
thanks, a lot of time invested, that's for sure!
Dang, you have a lot of mods done and your list is uber long! hahaha... What do you do often with the car other than a DDer?? Do you do frequent auto-x/track? Drag?
i'm a scca member, so auto-x but i'm just getting into that. once the wheels/tires go on, it'll be as many times as they have events! then once the build is done, i'll definitely be going to the strip to see what kind of trap i can pull. i'm really excited about that, too.

i ride a moto and used to have a 240sx with a good bit of work, so i'm all about suspension, taking and hugging the corners as hard and fast as possible. i have a feeling i'm going to find a nice niche in auto-x. thank you for asking!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts

wow man, you got lots of mods. good job so far!
thanks, a lot of time invested, that's for sure!
i'm a scca member, so auto-x but i'm just getting into that. once the wheels/tires go on, it'll be as many times as they have events! then once the build is done, i'll definitely be going to the strip to see what kind of trap i can pull. i'm really excited about that, too.

i ride a moto and used to have a 240sx with a good bit of work, so i'm all about suspension, taking and hugging the corners as hard and fast as possible. i have a feeling i'm going to find a nice niche in auto-x. thank you for asking!
Sweet! I wanted to also ask! How did you get into Auto-x? did you just end up trying out auto-x with a friend and jumped on the wagon of fun-ness?? or were you born into a family of car fanatics, etc, etc. I ask... because I wanna try out Auto-x but since I've never done it in my life... I'm just a little shy.. HAHAHA. anyways thanks for reading and answering my questions!!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Congrats, monkiboy! I'm excited for this thread, and to see where the car goes! I'm glad I get to see it in real life AND in the in-tar-webs too!

·
Registered
2,435 Posts

Sweet! I wanted to also ask! How did you get into Auto-x? did you just end up trying out auto-x with a friend and jumped on the wagon of fun-ness?? or were you born into a family of car fanatics, etc, etc. I ask... because I wanna try out Auto-x but since I've never done it in my life... I'm just a little shy.. HAHAHA. anyways thanks for reading and answering my questions!!
I am trying to get into autox as well, and it seems like you just need to find your local scca chapter, get in touch with them by e-mail and then just show up to an event to observe. A lot of people will even let you do a ride along while they drive one of their laps. I'm really looking forward to getting into the experience!

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

a large group of us used to have our own "events" at open lots when i had the 240, about ten years ago, and wherever we could find the space without obstruction or too much attention being drawn to ourselves, someone smarter than me laid out a course with pylons and rubber garbage cans. much later i found out there was a legal way to go about doing what we enjoyed so much. i dropped it for a long while and now that i have the wrx and seeing all the folks on here in scca and the auto-x vids, the interest came back to me and i committed to joining and did it.

i was shy even getting back into the sport, no worries. it can definitely be intimidating but i soon found out that group of people in scca are incredibly friendly, helpful, resourceful, and are really dedicated to growing awareness of the sport. they have a great forum and a great audience of peoples at the events. check out scca.com and look up your region. talk to the recruiting coordinator and i'm sure you'll be hooked. it's really cheap, usually around seventy bucks for a year membership and each event is anywhere from 15-30 bucks. this is dependent on your region. you'll have a blast and progressively just learn more and more and again the folks involved, as long as your respectful and not a douche, are the best. g'luck!

pm me if you have any other questions, i'd love to help you get started if you're serious.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

looks like after a lot of searching, phone conversations, pms, etc i've finally found my 05 sti tranny for my 6 speed swap, and it's local'ish (three hours away)! it'll be cheaper to pay for the gas then to have it delivered and i can see it and inspect it first hand before handing over a wad of cash. i'm excited. i will be picking it up next week, thursday at the latest! the swap will happen most likely two or three weeks after that and i make sure i have the dccd and driveshaft worked out. i need to start researching which aftermarket controller i'm going to use.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts

monkiboy!!!! i always had a gut feeling that you have more parts in your car than what you had told me in person LOL everytime i stopped by your house, i always see you layin down on your back, under the car, working on something! haha i enjoy you guys' company.. with summer just gettin' started, i see a lot of fun activities happening our way especially when you get the wheels and tranny installed. at the end of the month, dont forget our little photoshoot!

steve- get your summer wheels already! ;D ;)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts

Yeah...he's always on his back alright :p

Awesome build and great progress so far....I'm definitely going to keep up with this one! But come on now...not a SINGLE picture yet? :p

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

monkiboy!!!! i always had a gut feeling that you have more parts in your car than what you had told me in person LOL everytime i stopped by your house, i always see you layin down on your back, under the car, working on something! haha i enjoy you guys' company.. with summer just gettin' started, i see a lot of fun activities happening our way especially when you get the wheels and tranny installed. at the end of the month, dont forget our little photoshoot!
yeah working on the car is a great stress reliever and really enjoyable! dude, i can't wait for the tires/wheels to get done. gonna be such gratification after a forever wait, haha. swap will probably happen weeks afterwards seeing how backed up the shop is.

Yeah...he's always on his back alright :p

Awesome build and great progress so far....I'm definitely going to keep up with this one! But come on now...not a SINGLE picture yet? :p
i knew the jokes were gonna be coming, haha.

thanks for reading, i'm excited to be blessed enough to have the car and have money to work on it. it's gonna be a stessful but fun next couple months trying to figure everything out.

i dont have the car at the moment to take photos of and i did a piss poor job of photos while i had it, just the isolated random ones floating around here. i'm definitely going to be a lot better at documentation, photos, and vids once i get her back and the build continues, promise!

ps - the six speed ad other required parts for the swap are getting picked up tuesday @ 4pm. now i just need to figure if i got the cheapo route and get a dual piece driveshaft from a early gen or a aluminum single piece, "better performing" dss driveshaft.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

i'll post some pics here tonight. just random ones from random stages of the car.

i updated the parts list...

i bought my 6speed clutch/flywheel combo today along with a beatrush tranny mount, cobb short shifter, and a dccdpro controller for the swap that is supposed to start early next week. shifter bushings, crossmember bushings should all transfer over fine. still need a driveshaft; i'll either purchase the dss one piece aluminum shaft or pick up a used off a early gen legacy at the shop.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #19

um, so here's a bunch of random pics of my sweetheart who has yet to be named. i think as soon as i can create my own gallery with a vip account i'll do that and keep photos and vids in this thread specific to status updates, new parts installed, etc...

·
Registered
587 Posts

wow that's awesome. I actually like those cf eyelids. But man your intercooler looks tiny with the bumper on, and HUGE with it off haha.

1 - 20 of 1898 Posts