Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, i finally started having issues with the stock tires.

I was racing my friends procharged '05 Mustang GT and was spinning all 4. I still won though :)

Then i was on my way home and decided to get on it a little bit. From a roll i was spinning in 1st.

If you plan on making more power, you will need to get some better tires.

I'm sure most of you know this. I just wanted to share my experience.

Next week i hope to have drag radials for the rear.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Even if your car is stock, good summer performance tire will do wonder to the car trust me.. with more power it will be illogical to keep all-season tire on the car...

·
Registered
646 Posts
i achually know alot of people run all season or winter tires on higher horsepower wrx's at the strip and stuff, just because its less shock on the tranny and other drivetrain componets because its able to transfer a little shock into wheel spin, but the 08s are supposed to be alot stronger then previous models, but i dont know how much stronger. id watch getting an ultra sticky tire that wont give any or u may have some expensive bills down the road

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You got your eyes on a tire OGB ?
not sure yet. I am going to try some BF Goodrich drag radials for the rear when i go to the track Saturday. My friend also has some slicks but i think he is going to use them.

i have heard good things about KDW2's but am still undecided.

the NT-01's look like they might work well with AWD on the drag strip. Since i wouldn't be doing any burn outs. too bad they cost alot.

·
Registered
59 Posts
not sure yet. I am going to try some BF Goodrich drag radials for the rear when i go to the track Saturday.
Danger Will Robinson !!!

If your front and rear tires don't have the same radius, you will soon be a very unhappy camper.

Also, Rexxx is correct that the fastest times are normally had with some degree of wheel spin. It keeps the revs higher at launch. With 100% traction, you'll tend to bog off the line.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I'm sure you'll make a wise choice as you have many times before. I'm ready for some time-slip action from OGB!!! Represent homie !!!!

·
Registered
243 Posts
yeah jeff is right i also build hot rods on the side and youd be suprised how many guys try to mix radials w/ biply... let me tell you they ussually dont try it twice ;D

·
Registered
64 Posts
not sure yet. I am going to try some BF Goodrich drag radials for the rear when i go to the track Saturday.
As stated, I would really, really not put different tires on just the rear or front......

And the RE92's are not the greatest tire, but they are predictable and scrub speed safely. They are decent to learn a little bit about the characteristics of the car before getting real tires. And getting real performance tires makes a bigger difference than you might think on the WRX.....

·
Registered
519 Posts
All stock car and tires, at Las Vegas Speedway in November I ran a [email protected], I can't wait to get back out and try again it was a blast. Not the fastest drag car but will beat most cars off the line my 60 foot time spanked alot of other much more powerful and faster cars. I beat 2 brand new 911 in 60 because they spun with so much power. Needless to say they left me in the dust after that LOL.

Seth

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
As stated, I would really, really not put different tires on just the rear or front......

And the RE92's are not the greatest tire, but they are predictable and scrub speed safely. They are decent to learn a little bit about the characteristics of the car before getting real tires. And getting real performance tires makes a bigger difference than you might think on the WRX.....
my friend has 2 new drag radials on rims with my bolt pattern. i'm not buying anything, just trying them out :)
i also have access to some M&H slicks, but i dont think i will use them.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've owned BFG kdw2s and falken azenis rt-615s...both are great tires..

bfgs have alot of road noise but last a while (y-rated: 30-40k miles for me on my '00 impreza RS).

Azenis are quieter but grip better and have a shorter life. The thread depth is kinda shallow on them when brand new also.

I used BFGs for daily driving and the azenis for dedicated autox tires.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I've owned BFG kdw2s and falken azenis rt-615s...both are great tires..

bfgs have alot of road noise but last a while (y-rated: 30-40k miles for me on my '00 impreza RS).

Azenis are quieter but grip better and have a shorter life. The thread depth is kinda shallow on them when brand new also.

I used BFGs for daily driving and the azenis for dedicated autox tires.
those are exactly the two tire im looking at.. but will probably go with the BFG.... still quite unsure

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
If you use the azenis for autocross, many people have said that they get greasy after they get too hot... and cooling them with water after about 3 runs is a good idea. I never had a problem with that...but maybe I wasn't sliding around as much as others.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts