Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking about using Amsoil SAE 0w-20. Does anyone think that this will cause any issues?

I know that Amsoil protects much more so than does any conventional or even synthetic oil. So I figure I can lower the weight one click to try and squeeze out a few more MPG.... And a little HP to boot.

What problems do you guys foresee?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I run amsoil 0w30 no problem in my car, always have

I use K&N oil filters

only difference I see is it gets up to temperature faster and seems to start quicker on cold days

amsoil is the same consistency when cold so you don't really have to worry much about the issues of protection with a lower weight oil you'd worry about with valvoline or mobil1

·
Registered
988 Posts
I'm thinking about using Amsoil SAE 0w-20. Does anyone think that this will cause any issues?

I know that Amsoil protects much more so than does any conventional or even synthetic oil. So I figure I can lower the weight one click to try and squeeze out a few more MPG.... And a little HP to boot.

What problems do you guys foresee?
Unless you live some where really cold and drive like a grandma I wouldn't get something that thin. Most of us are going thicker on oil. I use 5w-40 all year round. If you are that worryed about MPG get a honda fit.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
amsoil is fully synthetic unlike other brands (which are actually synthetic blends). it protects just as well at 0w30 as other brands do at 5w and 10w, it's the same viscosity at any temperature and amsoil guarantees it for the life of the engine.

I don't even fully CHANGE my oil as often as people normally do. I think I've had the same oil for 20k (but changed filters and topped-off every 6k), its still clean, kind of dark brown, but nowhere near the color conventional oil would be at 20k miles.

unless you're running your car on a track or a full-stage rally, I wouldn't worry about 0w amsoil. you'll be fine.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
amsoil is fully synthetic unlike other brands (which are actually synthetic blends). it protects just as well at 0w30 as other brands do at 5w and 10w, it's the same viscosity at any temperature and amsoil guarantees it for the life of the engine.

I don't even fully CHANGE my oil as often as people normally do. I think I've had the same oil for 20k (but changed filters and topped-off every 6k), its still clean, kind of dark brown, but nowhere near the color conventional oil would be at 20k miles.

unless you're running your car on a track or a full-stage rally, I wouldn't worry about 0w amsoil. you'll be fine.
The 0w really wasn't what I was concerned with. It's using 20 instead of the 30 that I'm wary of.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I trust them a lot more than valvoline or pennzoil, which let inexperienced pimple-faced teens working at franchised quick oil change places be associated with their brands

you can buy amsoil at a few places, I get mine at the andersons

·
Registered
988 Posts
I use Castrol and Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I trust them a lot more than valvoline or pennzoil, which let inexperienced pimple-faced teens working at franchised quick oil change places be associated with their brands

you can buy amsoil at a few places, I get mine at the andersons
Where do you live where you have an andersons? I thought that was a one-off store (Located in Toledo, OH)? Or am I grossly mistaken?

·
Registered
382 Posts

Dark oil is not really a valid indication if you need to change your oil. The color of your oil is more a function of your oil filter and where you drive then an indication of the quality of oil. In fact, an oil that has no detergents in it will actually appear "cleaner" over time because its not suspending the particles in the oil instead leaving it behind to generate sludge.

That said, I believe Amsoil is quality oil and can be used safely in the application asked about.

·
Registered
114 Posts

Why the heck do you change oil filters without draining the oil?? ??? It's not that much more work if you're already under there..

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
because the oil is still good and it would be wasteful to just throw it out, amsoil is guaranteed for 1,000,000 miles... I wouldn't go that long but it is long-lasting

I take off the filter and put a new one on and top off the oil (some will come out from the filter line, about 1/2 to 1 qt)

·
Registered
382 Posts

Why the heck do you change oil filters without draining the oil?? ??? It's not that much more work if you're already under there..

Yup, its very common just to change the filter. In the automotive world, people way over-change their oil. Science has shown that most oil is disposed of way before its end of life, its pretty unfortunate really I imagine it is having a large environmental impact and is fleecing people out of a lot of money.

Consider this:
There are many companies that do oil analysis for a fee. On my previous car, (a non-turbo car,) I used Mobil 1 synthetic. After my first use I changed it 5000 and sent a sample in for analysis. Results: Oil is in "like new" condition (5 out of 5). So the next time I let the oil run for 10000 miles and sent in a sample for analysis. (replaced filter at 5k) Again, I got "like new" rating from the company despite my oil being nice and dark.

At this point I started to get concerned, what if the company I was sending the sample to was simply incompetent? So I decided to send the sample to 2 companies next time. This time I decided to let the oil run for 15k miles. Analysis from both companies came back with the equivalent of 4.5 out 5 for the oil's quality.

So at 15k we finally began to see some deterioration in the rating, this caused me to wonder if the oil would fail at a rapid pace or would just gradually continue to wear down. I'm a gambling man, a gambling man who happens to not like changing oil if I don't have to, therefore I decided to go to 20,000 on one oil change (replacing filter every 5k). The results after 20k miles was the same as at the 15k mark, from 2 different companies!

Anyway, I don't expect you to take my word over the internet. Just keep in mind that the oil industry as well as dealerships have an interest in getting you to change your oil often, I don't have such an incentive. By the way, the car has 120k on it now and no problems whatsoever yet.

Please note: I used synthetic oil for my "analysis", and the car was non-turbo which definitely will have an affect. However, I did autoX on several of these oil changes. I am currently working on a 25k data point...

·
Registered
114 Posts

Yup, its very common just to change the filter. In the automotive world, people way over-change their oil. Science has shown that most oil is disposed of way before its end of life, its pretty unfortunate really I imagine it is having a large environmental impact and is fleecing people out of a lot of money.

Consider this:
There are many companies that do oil analysis for a fee. On my previous car, (a non-turbo car,) I used Mobil 1 synthetic. After my first use I changed it 5000 and sent a sample in for analysis. Results: Oil is in "like new" condition (5 out of 5). So the next time I let the oil run for 10000 miles and sent in a sample for analysis. (replaced filter at 5k) Again, I got "like new" rating from the company despite my oil being nice and dark.

At this point I started to get concerned, what if the company I was sending the sample to was simply incompetent? So I decided to send the sample to 2 companies next time. This time I decided to let the oil run for 15k miles. Analysis from both companies came back with the equivalent of 4.5 out 5 for the oil's quality.

So at 15k we finally began to see some deterioration in the rating, this caused me to wonder if the oil would fail at a rapid pace or would just gradually continue to wear down. I'm a gambling man, a gambling man who happens to not like changing oil if I don't have to, therefore I decided to go to 20,000 on one oil change (replacing filter every 5k). The results after 20k miles was the same as at the 15k mark, from 2 different companies!

Anyway, I don't expect you to take my word over the internet. Just keep in mind that the oil industry as well as dealerships have an interest in getting you to change your oil often, I don't have such an incentive. By the way, the car has 120k on it now and no problems whatsoever yet.

Please note: I used synthetic oil for my "analysis", and the car was non-turbo which definitely will have an affect.

Interesting! I had no idea oil would last that long.

Why does the manufacturer recommend changing every 3-4k then?

·
Registered
382 Posts

Consider this:

Please note: I used synthetic oil for my "analysis", and the car was non-turbo which definitely will have an affect.

Interesting! I had no idea oil would last that long.

Why does the manufacturer recommend changing every 3-4k then?

I assume its a combination of
and covering their butt. For example, if you drive on dirt roads every day, you will need more frequent oil changes. In other words, their recommendation is based on "worst case" scenario's not necessarily "average case" use. Everyone's situation is different. My miles were autoX miles and driving nice paved roads, with very rare off roading.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
profit, pure and simple.

I drive on dirt roads and my oil is fine, I just need to change my filters more often.

they cover their butt by saying they aren't responsible for anything.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I guess the part about covering their ass makes sense, but Subaru as a manufacturer doesn't really see any profit from oil changes made by the dealers, would they?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
no. but I'm sure they see profit from oil companies for saying "change your oil every X miles at your dealership"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts