Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys - I'm planning very minor mods for my 2.5i for a while. Should get the SPT STI pink springs in the mail tomorrow (from JPatrosso), and will probably order a sway bar F/R set from rallitek as well as the rallitek rear endlinks and whiteline front endlinks. Additionally, an AVO panel filter. (Maybe a lightweight crank pulley down the road - would this be a problem with an automatic transmission?).

Anyway, I've seen people recommend throttle body spacers as and easy, inexpensive way to give a couple extra horsepower and a little extra fuel economy. Does anyone have a throttle body spacer on their car, or have had one? What are your thoughts on its value? As a side question, I assume it will work on an automatic as well?

Thanks a bunch!

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
I've heard of throttle body spacers doing some good on v6 or v8 engines...i don't really know how much good they will do on an h-4 engine....although maybe a little bit of power.

I'm pretty sure they have been made for previous gen NA imprezas, they also made TGV deletes that might gain you some power, although they will make your emissions more dirty.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
http://www.groupa.ca/PR_throttle_Cable.html

this one looks good should fit... also comes with throttle body bypass which keeps your intake cooler (only necessary when its very very cold i believe)

i might get this when i attempt my hybrid intake... read up about it on NASIOC if you wanna know what that is.
As far as the link... isn't the 2008 2.5i a drive by wire system for the throttle?

As far as the hybrid intake setup: I've read about it on williaty's thread. However, I've heard that the hybrid setup doesn't fit with a throttle body spacer. Perhaps I misunderstood or something. Anyway, gotta run but I'd be interested to hear your results.

·
Registered
333 Posts
well the way he says to make it requires cutting and welding so im sure you could manage the extra inch the TBS adds somehow... prob have to make the second turn (im going from manifold to airbox) come about 1.7 inches sooner (use trigonometry...)

and the bypass is just redirecting the flow of this intake coolant away from the throttle body... it goes against the throttle body in the first place for some weird reason involving temperature regulation but its not needed outside of the harsh winter...

·
Registered
26 Posts
I would look into the throttle body bypass. I did it on my SE-R, as others dynoed (Intake/Headers/Exhaust) with + 2 whp. Not much more power, but for not costing anything its a definite a power gain 8)

You don't even need to buy a kit, just re-route the coolant hose away from the throttle body.

·
Registered
53 Posts
In the Jeep community Throttle Body Spacers are as good as buying a tornado or other HP gainer/gas sipper device lured to get you to buy them for a small amount of money but promise big gains. I'd pass on it. It's just one more thing that will void another part of your warranty.

Garbage!

Junk!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the Jeep community Throttle Body Spacers are as good as buying a tornado or other HP gainer/gas sipper device lured to get you to buy them for a small amount of money but promise big gains. I'd pass on it. It's just one more thing that will void another part of your warranty.

Garbage!

Junk!
I'm under no illusion that it would produce large gains. From what I've read, it is worth a couple to a few horsepower and a few more tens of miles from a full tank of gas. However, for about $100, that wouldn't be bad. The warranty consideration is a significant one though. Also, a little more digging turns up some information that in CA, a throttle body spacer would make a visual inspection for emissions fail because there is no CARB number for the part. Gotta love CA...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
TB bypass is a bad idea if you live anywhere that has winter seasons.

for NA performance, the best thing you can do is lose some weight and learn to drive.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts