Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i am just wondering if anyone else has had their Tire Pressure Light come on? I noticed last week that mine came on and then it went off by the time i got to work. It has been on for a few days now. I think it is weather related. Does anyone else think that freezing temperatures can cause one of the sensors to pick up a false reading?

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
THX to canadian model, i dont have that feature that, i agree may come useful, but that will be a more a asle than anything else when it come to changing tire...

·
Registered
382 Posts
ok, i am just wondering if anyone else has had their Tire Pressure Light come on? I noticed last week that mine came on and then it went off by the time i got to work. It has been on for a few days now. I think it is weather related. Does anyone else think that freezing temperatures can cause one of the sensors to pick up a false reading?
Its likely not a "false reading" at all, its probably spot on. When you drive the pressure in your tire goes up as it warms from friction with the road. I have no experience with Subaru's brand of sensor maker, however my brother had a GM that had them and it would cycle on and off depending on how long he drove.

Bottom line is to check your tire pressure when the tires are cold (Not driven on for at least 3-4 hours) and fill them to the proper level indicated on the door well. If it comes back spot on then you do have a problem, however in all likelihood, you are low on pressure. It is normal for tires to fluctuate over time.

·
Registered
752 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the tire pressure was checked/filled yesterday during an oil change and the light didn't turn off when was driving. i still think the sensor doesn't like the cold.

·
Registered
382 Posts
the tire pressure was checked/filled yesterday during an oil change and the light didn't turn off when was driving. i still think the sensor doesn't like the cold.
My EE background tells me you have a faulty part if thats the case, the sensor should be able to handle the cold fine. Dealer time...

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
I'm sorry, the canadian wrx comes with pressure sensors and indicators?
U.S. yes.... but canadian models dont have it

·
Registered
24 Posts
yeah, my light came on as well with just 1000 miles on the car. The temperature was around 20 degrees. I pulled into a gas station and kept adding air until the light went off. ended up with about 39-40 psi in each tire.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
I have the sensor on since the crash, or even maybe before? I have had new tires put on since and still there, had my oil changed and they checked my tires then also and was still fine. So I have been ignoring the sensor all together. I probably should check my pressure before I go to work though...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Here's a stupid question. Will the light come on if you have too much pressure? Ala, adding air before autocrossing.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My dash light came on Sunday. We had temps in the 20 degree range that day. I stopped at the nearest gas station and eyeballed the tires. The RF looked low; lower than than the LF anyways. I checked both front tires, and found the RF to be at about 27 lbs, and the LF holding fine at 33. I added air until my wifey said the light went off. I think it went off around 30 psi. I added the balance to get it to 33, and haven't had the light come on since. If the light comes on again, I shall pull the wheel and look for a nail or other foreign object.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Here's a stupid question. Will the light come on if you have too much pressure? Ala, adding air before autocrossing.
I do not believe so.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Another data point:
Recently was in an area that was -18F when I started to drive. My sensor gave me a warning, just as it should.

Reminder:
As the temp. drops, so does the tire pressure.
To ensure you are running the right pressure, you must take the tire pressure reading before driving the car. If you are attempting to measure it at a gas station you will get an inaccurate reading. Typical suggestion is 3 hours of cooling time after the car has been driven before you will get an accurate measurement.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I have never owned a car with the sensors before, but I do know that tire shops can swap it out on to new wheels for you. The usually charge an extra $10-$15 for the service. (per wheel)

·
Registered
36 Posts
Well it certainly doesn't work with a donut

·
Registered
519 Posts
The manual says that it will come on when low obviously. When you put about 32 psi in the light won't go out immediately you have to drive it some before it shuts off. I did the same added air the light didn't go off got up to about 39 psi, I let air out to 32 drove it about a mile and the light went out. It won't pick up an over pressurized tire though.

Seth

·
Registered
28 Posts
i noticed my light came on a couple of days when it was only like 13 degrees and i called the stealership they said its normal when the tires are that cold but after a while the light should go off which it did.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts