Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I officially have a nail magnet. Tonight I got a flat from what looked like a puncture in the tread. Last week I got a nail in the parking lot at work, which btw that nail is still n the tire. Here's my question: my tire shop repairs the tire by removing the wheel from the tire and repairs it frominside the tire. 1. Is this " repair" going to last ? I drive pretty hard and I also wanted to do a couple passes down the drag strip. 2. What's the widest tire I can fit on the stock wheels?

Thanks for the help guys.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i will see it as a oportunity of getting rid of the potenza ;D

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does the goo doctor have a recommendation on size and brand to try out ?

·
Registered
629 Posts
I ran with 225/45ZR17 and they worked good for me.....I really want to see If 235 will fit without any rubbing or modifications?? I would think that 225 is the widest we can go on stock rims.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I have autocrossed on tires that have been repaired. My guy said the trick was to put a plug in then patch from the inside. Never had a problem.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
yeah as long as they do it right it should last for the life of the tire or longer

I've never had a plug/patch fail... the glue basically melds the plug with the rubber of the tire.

·
Registered
717 Posts
like other people have said, as long as it was repaired properly, it should last for a long time.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I appreciate all the help guys. I think I'm gonaa start shopping for new tires while I'm at it.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i think the tires will be fine for a few passes down the track.

225's should be fine on the stock rims. 235's should fit too, but i'm not sure.
the "loaner rims" i have right now are 225/40's with a 35 offset and they aren't rubbing.

if i go with street tires i was looking at BFG KDW-2.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
a 225 will fit with a slight amount of overhang on a 7" wide wheel (oem 08 wrx wheel)...not sure if a 235 will fit.

...but I know for a fact that a 225/45R17 BFG KDW2 will fit on a 17x7" wheel with a 53 offset on an 08...b/c i've done it :)

btw, kdw2 is a great tire, but you WILL notice more road noise over the oem RE92s.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I decided to go with 225/45/17 yokohoma S-drive's. They look wicked, I'll get a driving impression for you ASAP.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The patched tyres from inside will last fine! I'm the unlucky one with a nail in my side wall. So patching it wouldn't do much good.

·
Registered
700 Posts
The patched tyres from inside will last fine! I'm the unlucky one with a nail in my side wall. So patching it wouldn't do much good.
you can plug a sidewall...not supposed too and its highly dangerous. i've seen it done. while i was attending LTI (automotive school) a kid came in with 3 on the same tire and he told us its lasted 5k miles and he did highway driving. crazyness

1 - 13 of 13 Posts