Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about picking up a set of Enkei's from a local guy here. There 18's. Question I have is if the tires that are mounted on them will be a good fit. They are 235 45 18. I have been reading some older tire posts here on the board and I havent come across anyone talking about that size yet. Is there a reason?

·
Registered
114 Posts
I would say no. The 235/45R18 is 26.3" overall diameter, a good 1.3" larger than stock (almost 5% larger). Generally you want to be as close as possible to the stock diameter (25"). 235/40R18 would be a better size.

It might fit fine, but you're increasing your overall rolling diameter, so the car will feel slower, as the final gearing is changed, and your speedo will be quite a bit off.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help guys... Ive decided to pass on the wheel/tires.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We need to sticky this thing somewhere. It's the most useful tool when shopping for tires

http://www.bigcustomwheels.com/info_specs.jsp
And this one I like as well.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html
That site helped out a lot...

Heres an update. Turns out they MIGHT be 235 40 18 and not 235 45 18. Im waiting to hear back from the dude so that he can verify. If they are 235 40 18's, would those work for me ok? I went to a couple local tire places and the size they are all saying to use is 225 40 18. Looks like I would only be looking at a difference in .2" sidewall and .3" diameter.

Also, does anyone know about "spacers" that allow a 5x114.3 wheel to work on a 5x100?

·
Registered
114 Posts
That site helped out a lot...

Heres an update. Turns out they MIGHT be 235 40 18 and not 235 45 18. Im waiting to hear back from the dude so that he can verify. If they are 235 40 18's, would those work for me ok? I went to a couple local tire places and the size they are all saying to use is 225 40 18. Looks like I would only be looking at a difference in .2" sidewall and .3" diameter.

Also, does anyone know about "spacers" that allow a 5x114.3 wheel to work on a 5x100?
235/40R18 is just about perfect. That's probably the size I'm going to go with.

As for the spacer issue... if the wheels aren't 5x100, I wouldn't chance it.. That's IMO though.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I'm also debating tire size. I wanted to ask in this thread rather than start a new one. I am looking at a wheel that is 17x8. I am debating between 225/45/17 and 235/45/17. Which would be more appropriate? I am mainly concerned that the 225 width tire wouldn't be an optimal size for the wheel and would require a bit of stretching, but I'm not sure. Would the 225 tire look like it fits the wheel, or would it look slightly stretched? Any input would be helpful.

·
Registered
298 Posts
225s are about perfect for an 8" wheel. and there's nothing wrong with a stretched tire, it will actual perform better when stretched (less sidewall flex). you can fit 245s on an 8" wheel if you really want though. the 225/45 has a closer circumference to stock than the 235/45 does.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Ya, I just don't like the way stretched tires look, and the little rim protection they provide. Thanks for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts