Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else as tired of waiting for the SPT as I am? I am considering saying forget it and spending the money in a different way. Does anyone know how hard it would be to have a shop cut off the stock mufflers and weld in some aftermarket ones? Maybe magnaflow or borla universal ones? By leaving the resonator in place I would hopefully get a somewhat nice but still not super loud tone.(right?) I really want the SPT because it just gives it a little bit of growl, and still not super loud but am getting sick of waiting.(Placed order on 6-April-2008)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
patience grasshopper. :D you will not find a better exhaust for the price. if you get out of the $300 deal now and the sale ends, you may end up w/ a dented butt from kicking yourself. you might pay more for couple of mufflers installed but you will be still stuck w/ the restrictive stock pipes. if you do plan on going w/ a custom setup... get rid of the resonator to help bring it to life. only my $0.02 but hang in there!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I removed my muffler and replaced it with a pipe-only... it sounds nice even with the resonators intact.

it cost $40 at a local muffler shop. 2.75" stainless steel with a pretty stainless steel tip on the end. (the tip is made by Aero Exhausts... it's their "NASCAR" series... nascar is dumb but its a nice looking tip!)

eventually I'm installing an Invidia catless Down Pipe... so I'll probably remove the resonator and install a borla or something (splice it into the straight pipe I had made).

·
Registered
42 Posts
wow saturn, that straight pipe exhaust sounds great and looks very nice. sounds just like other full custom exhausts ive heard on the 08 wrx. props!

i was fed up w/ waiting also. so for the meantime i got a muffler shop to delete the resonator and weld in a y-pipe cutout. all i do is adjust the wingnuts for that wide open growl. it is very loud and powerful, shakes the rumbles the whole car. you can hear the turbo whistle loud. anyone interested in buying it off me when i get my spt? i would sell the whole midpipe for about 60 bucks plus shipping. would make for a simple 6 bolt install. ill try to post a sound clip soon.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So basically Saturn you just got rid of the mufflers? I am thinking about going to an exhaust shop and having a quick custom pipe made from where the Y attaches to midpipe and then back to replace the mufflers w/just an exhaust tip to get some sound out of it. I am sick of my pissed off sewing machine threading it's way through traffic.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So today I removed my mufflers. A buddy and I custom fabbed up an adapter and piping to replace the mufflers. Took longer than expected due to the mig welder we were using having not been used for a number of years. All in all...wow. Started this baby up and it sounds WAY mean. Way nicer than the sewing machine from before. It's not horribly loud but it's not silent either. When my SPT comes I can just unbolt this and put the SPT on. Did not hack/chop the stock system at all. Cost $66 total for all parts which included - 2 flanges, 4 piping adapters, 2 clams, 2 flex sections about 18" each, 2 hangers, and 2 tips.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts