Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just got into track driving with my 2010 5-door Impreza 2.5i (please keep the laughing to a minimum) and am looking for some upgrades I can do to make it more fun/enjoyable. The first is looking into larger wheels. I have 16s on now, and wasn't sure how much larger I can go with the vehicle. Second, was something that one of my instructors mentioned which is an engine chip to program shift points and remap the torque curve. Is that a possibility with this car? Any other suggestions are welcome as well.

·
Registered
957 Posts
send an email to eric @ torqued performance, a stage 1 tune should help throttle response a lot on a NA engine

Other mods would be a good set of coilovers (i think your suspension would be the same as any 08-10 non-widebody WRX.

Headers and cold-air intake will also net you some marginal gains, i wouldnt bother with it.

Large tires, suspension and a stage 1 Opensource Tune will net you a lot of improvement at the track.

Go Get'em! racing a car is always fun, no matter if it makes 180 HP or 500 HP. it's all about going with friends and having a good time.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I think it's generally accepted larger wheels LOOK cooler, but at the cost of added weight. Instead I would look for a wider wheel, maybe 7.5 or 8" so that you can put a wider tire on there. I don't know what your budget is, but if you have the scratch, pick up a set of larger diameter, lightweight rims such as Volk or the classic Enkei Rpf-1s. Then you get the best of both worlds - lighter weight and larger, cool looking wheels that can accommodate a wider tire.

Oh yeah, and definitely contact Eric about getting a tune. His handle on this forum is "eminehart" btw. As mentioned above the throttle response is night and day!

Reactions: shox101

·
Registered
802 Posts
^^+1
Rear sway bar is a MUST. You should be able to pick up a used one from a WRX or STI guy who's upgrading. Watch this forum, IWSTI.com & NASIOC.com.

As a matter of fact...if you're interested in a WRX OEM front swaybar with AVO urethane bushings, I've got one sitting in my garage.
It's a 21mm versus your stock 19mm. The urethane bushings make quite a bit of difference in how effectively the bar controls lateral pitching.
$60 shipped.

*Edit - one caveat I didn't see initially - "WRX sways cannot be used on the 2.5i (without modification) because of the exhaust routing...the cat section on the 2.5i usually hits aftermarket WRX sways. WRX sways will work on a 2.5i with modification though...as I'm doing, you just need to mod your cat section a little bit."

·
Registered
714 Posts
Sways and 2009+ wrx struts and springs would be a great $400 spent...IMHO. Also rear subframe, dif, and front cross member bushings are cheap and fun to DIY.

And to the OP, sorry for getting off the topic a bit, yes email Eric but mainly focus on cost effective suspension changes and buying used. If you want to do coilovers and tires.....that would stick you to the ground quite well!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Sways and 2009+ wrx struts and springs would be a great $400 spent...IMHO.
And I happen to have a set of struts and springs I'm willing to let go (stock 09). OP can PM me if interested :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts