Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So if want to install wider tires (225, 235s), do I need new rims?

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
with 235's maybe. the 09 wrx is coming with 225 width tires on the same 17x7 wheel that the 08 wrx's have (although painted a different color).

·
Registered
298 Posts
i think 235s can fit on a 7" wheel, but it's not typical and most places won't mount them. i've even heard some 245s can fit on a 7" wheel. 225 is the standard "max" width tire that'll fit on a 7" wheel. i've got 225s on 7" wheels now and they work fine, though they do bulge out past the wheel some :)

·
Registered
954 Posts
id go with 215's on a 7" wheel but thats just me. i tend to stay on the conservative side

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
The only problem with that is you are stuck with a tire that will throw your speedo off a little more.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
as said, 225 should be max on a 7" wide wheel. 225/45/17 fits nicely. I do have a friend w/ 235 sized tire for a couple years and he's fine..... but 225..

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Any recommendations for high-performance all-seasons? Living here in Wisconsin, where it snows quite a bit, but doesn't get bitter Canada-like cold.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
how much snow is 'quite a bit'? Here in NYC, we get 6"-8" and ppl are going nuts already. Under poor conditions, nothing will beat dedicated snow tires.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Any recommendations for high-performance all-seasons? Living here in Wisconsin, where it snows quite a bit, but doesn't get bitter Canada-like cold.
Bridgestone RE960AS Pole Positions. Awesome tire about on par with Yoko ADVAN S4's. It does good in the snow for an all-season, but it's still an all season so don't expect miracles. Still, it's a nice compromise, though they are a little on the expensive side. I had them on my last car, and am about to order a set for my WRX from tirerack mounted on a set of 17" Enkei RPF1's. They're quiet, comfortable, grippy, predictable, all around nice tires. They do form temporary flatspots though, as will most "high performance" tires like this, but not NEARLY as eagerly as the RE92A's. I swear, I can let my car sit for an hour in 80 degree weather and it will form a flatspot. I hate the RE92A's, they are just bad tires.

Nokian WR are a more snow-tireish all-season that actually do better than some dedicated snows in some tests, and reportedly have some decent treadwear. Kind of hard to get as there aren't a ton of Nokian dealers. Though, dry traction suffers from what I hear. I am considering picking up a set of these at some point for winter duty, though I may go with a dunlop performance winter tire instead, haven't made up my mind.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
all-season are trash, you have snow then get snow tire, you wont regret it

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
all-season are trash, you have snow then get snow tire, you wont regret it
MOST of them may be trash compared to dedicated seasonal tires, but in some areas it really isn't practical to run snows all winter or summers all summer. In situations like that I tend to think it's a better idea to go with high quality all seasons rather than summer tires in the summer, and dry oriented snows/snow oriented all seasons in the winter rather than something like blizzaks or a studded snow. Besides, the Nokian WR beats out some dedicated snows in winter conditions, and it's an all season. Not all snow tires are created equal.

Though tire choice really depends on where you live and where you will be driving. A snow tire can be just as poor of a choice in many situations as an all season can be. I guess my point is that all-seasons have their place (and aren't necessarily "trash" because they are all seasons), and are the only practical option for certain areas of the country (even if you swap your tires out every winter and summer). Not everyone runs all-seasons out of ignorance.

That said, I have a set of blizzaks (that I really don't use because of weather variability), but they have amazing grip in the snow even compared to other snows. They are a lot of fun, especially in heavy snow.

·
Registered
916 Posts
i have a set of 18 maxima wheels on my wifes altima.... and instead of having to have another set of winter wheels and tires...... i bought a good set of all seasons. because 18" snow tires=$$$$$ if you can even find them. so i bought toyo proxes 4 and love them on her car. nice for the summer and pretty grippy for what they are. cant say i have any experience with them in the snow(yet) i havent had them that long. but i read great reviews of the snow capablities.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I don't think you'd want to run snows on 18's anyway. Wider contact patch would just help offset any traction improvements. I will probably get 205/50/17 size tires when I get around to getting a new winter setup.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
So i thought i'd post this here instead of making another thread... want to get the Rota Torque's 18x8.5 and was wondering if I run 245 will it rub..?? about to install STi Pink springs with the stock shocks/struts until somebody comes out with some for the 08... but will it rub a lot with that size tire or should i just go 235 andbe safe.. thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts