Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, so I was wondering if there was a general consensus on when the stock clutch begins to slip? I'm planning to pick up a td06 20g...some people say it's too much for the stock clutch, some don't...another thing I'm planning to do is clock the compressor housing so that the outlet is straight up(will almost positively require going EWG) in hopes of allowing for a larger core with the tmic I plan on putting together...I have been looking into end tank design and my idea is to have the inlet at the bottom of the IC and pointing downward to mate very closely with the turbo outlet...outlet of the IC will also be facing downward, but at the upper right corner of the IC...this should allow for a more even flow and also allows for the largest core possible...I have been considered contacting Bell Intercoolers ( Bell Intercoolers - Custom Intercooler and Core Solutions ) about this after I make a mock-up of the intercooler with cardboard to see how it might work and what size core i can actually fit. I would be grateful for any input you all have to offer...thanks for reading everyone :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A custom Bell IC is a waste of time and tons of money. Process, Spearco, tons of solid FMICs out there.
I am aware of the options that exist, at this time i don't desire a FMIC, both the PW and Spearco are designed to work directly with everything stock, I however would like to change a few things in order to use a larger core and less deflection of the airflow...I only know how much the Bell cores cost, not how much the entire unit would cost...and besides, whatever happened to doing something fun and making something on your own?

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Well, my point is, the largest cores possible are already available in tight units. As for deflection of airflow, yes there is a more ideal design for the endtanks, but whether it is a plausible design considering available space, I don't know. And, the benefits would be marginal for the effort and money. Plus, a custom Bell is a bit overkill for ~375whp. But, I understand the sentiment. Still, you're addressing a pretty saturated field of options and you're not 'making it on your own' so I don't see where the personal rush of fabrication is going to come from. I'm just trying to sway you so you spend your money on something you'll end up enjoying more in the end, assuming you are looking to stay in 20g territory with a minor build.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If I knew how to weld, wait as the wise Jeremy Clarkson would say, "How hard can it be?". Seriously though, if I could weld, I would consider building a TMIC, but since I can't I bought the Process. But concerning the original question, I would also like to know at what point the stock clutch will start to slip. I know once mine does I'll be getting the ACT street clutch and their lightweight flywheel. But I'd like my stock clutch to hold on for a while after I install my TP Stage 3 tune.

·
Registered
295 Posts
From my understanding at around the 350whp mark you can start to run into issue's for slippage.

For the TMIC if you want something more unique then the mentions units. Try Frozenboost.com for some Air to water kits. You would have to do some fab work but the people who have done them have been very pleased. Its what I have been planning on for awhile myself.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Well, I run on a TD06H 20g, at 420WHP on E85, with the stock clutch and I am alright, Cant go any more power though or it slips.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Well, I run on a TD06H 20g, at 420WHP on E85, with the stock clutch and I am alright, Cant go any more power though or it slips.
So, you're not alright? Are you saying it slips when you get on it or launch or you're speculating it would slip if you made more power?

Clutch, to a great degree, is how you drive it. Mine is done with 60K miles on it and a TD04, but I drive it hard and also have the firewall issue that likely increased wear.

·
Registered
47 Posts
A lot of tuners have told me 1 in 3 stock clutches hold past 350tq. Mine held 350wtq for about 11k miles and now slips. Going to try the South Bend Endurance clutch i picked up soon.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Clutch, to a great degree, is how you drive it. Mine is done with 60K miles on it and a TD04, but I drive it hard and also have the firewall issue that likely increased wear.
This definitely isn't the "norm" on this forum as most seem to go through them by 30k. We swapped mine at 65k but that is due to my wife learning how to drive the car, operating it full time and wanting to swap it before it actually went. The car held 365wtq for 40k miles....not too shabby in my book.

A lot of tuners have told me 1 in 3 stock clutches hold past 350tq. Mine held 350wtq for about 11k miles and now slips. Going to try the South Bend Endurance clutch i picked up soon.
How many tuners does one talk to? Most people don't make enough power to cause the stock one to slip; I'd bet most are driver induced, be it someone beating on the car, this is their first stick shift and they are learning to drive the car or they just cant drive. The stock clutch has been shown to hold 400+ but that will obviously limit its lifespan.

·
Registered
787 Posts
So, you're not alright? Are you saying it slips when you get on it or launch or you're speculating it would slip if you made more power?

I never launch the car, it is street driven 9/10 times. It did slip when i made more power, so we backed it down to 420whp.
I cant comment on the firewall issue you have, as I am not familiar with it.
I don't expect the clutch to last me 60K miles at this power level.
but I rarely am actually up above the 350whp mark anyways, during daily driving uses.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I never launch the car, it is street driven 9/10 times. It did slip when i made more power, so we backed it down to 420whp.
I cant comment on the firewall issue you have, as I am not familiar with it.
I don't expect the clutch to last me 60K miles at this power level.
but I rarely am actually up above the 350whp mark anyways, during daily driving uses.
That's a pretty worthless example when we're talking about the limits of the stock clutch. 'My car makes 836whp and my stock clutch is fine. Oh, well, I baby it everywhere and never pucker any assholes with a solid launch.'

·
Registered
51 Posts

Is the firewall crack really that much of a factor? Mine started slipping a month or so after going TP Stage 3 with the Spearco TMIC. I thought it was simply just the power level that was causing it to slip, but I've had the firewall cracks for quite a while.

·
Registered
342 Posts
The OEM stg 1 exedy that comes factory is limited at 286 torque. I 80% think my factory clutch is on its way out. I have glazed the clutch bad twice trying to learn LC. /feathering. I've been at tp stage 2 cat less from 20k to 63k current odo.also drive her like a baby. get made fun of by friends that I don't drive a sports car why'd I get it unless I spirit drive it occasionally lawll. Just ordered an exedy stg 2 clutch n matching flywheel. Only recently the car in fourth and fifth gear it has slipped quite often only when at 3-5k rpm trying to pass truckers.
Any thoughts or input? Did I spend 835 for nothing when the stock clutch holds 20g wrxs and 350+ subies?!

·
Registered
787 Posts
The OEM stg 1 exedy that comes factory is limited at 286 torque. I 80% think my factory clutch is on its way out. I have glazed the clutch bad twice trying to learn LC. /feathering. I've been at tp stage 2 cat less from 20k to 63k current odo.also drive her like a baby. get made fun of by friends that I don't drive a sports car why'd I get it unless I spirit drive it occasionally lawll. Just ordered an exedy stg 2 clutch n matching flywheel. Only recently the car in fourth and fifth gear it has slipped quite often only when at 3-5k rpm trying to pass truckers.
Any thoughts or input? Did I spend 835 for nothing when the stock clutch holds 20g wrxs and 350+ subies?!
Well, aftet reading what you wrote in another thread....

Any thoughts in the exedy stg 2 plus exedy flywheel for 91 pump pro tune plus e85 tune? I'm waiting to install Dw65 pump and id10000 injectors.
I feel that the clutch you chose is a good choice, and here is why.
a stock turbo will give you around 350-370 whp with everything in the world supporting it, including e85. Although, i feel as though your idle will be epic bad with "10000cc injectors"
just becuase my stock clutch held 420whp, doesnt mean it was going to last very long, in a macro scale, im sure it was slipping holding that power, just not enough for me to feel.
i have since upgraded to a HDSS becuase I put a DOM3XTR on.
A flywheel will give a nice small difference on "revvability" (i made that word up)

So, did you overspend for what you are looking for, well, at the moment yes. but you gave youself enough room to grow to where it shouldnt become a headache when you throw on e85 and take it to a dyno.

·
Registered
787 Posts
That's a pretty worthless example when we're talking about the limits of the stock clutch. 'My car makes 836whp and my stock clutch is fine. Oh, well, I baby it everywhere and never pucker any assholes with a solid launch.'
Zulu - it is absolutely NOT a worthless example.
I reached the limit of the stock clutch, why destroy the car "launching"? thats abuse, any way you want to put it, launching is abuse.
I dont feel like i need to abuse the car to get what i want out of it.
if i want it to be faster, ill put a bigger turbo on it, and treat it right - becuase this transmission was never designed for any sort of abuse.

the fact is, when we did more than 420whp out of the clutch, it let go, so we backed it off. that is the limit.

as far as assholes, If i want to "pucker assholes" there are faster cars in my garage to do that with. i row through my gears, and get enough power out of the car to make me happy. and thats the only thing that matters, not the passengers, not your shitty opinions, only mine, and what I like.
/cheers

·
Registered
342 Posts
OOOPS! Typo on the other thread. 1000C IDs lollll. I'm the guy that bought your old HKS SQV black edition at McDonalds that one time. (Smdavis)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Well said, Smdavis. My local crew says things similar to that too and also the subie guys' responses are similar, if not identical, to what you posted to zulu

1 - 19 of 19 Posts