Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, it sucks. it was basically just a big white milk jug lookin thing. it basically just made a lot of resonance through the cabin. huge flat spot in power betweetn 3k-4.5k, lost about 1-2 mpg ???. idk if its just an 08 thing cause everyone else seems to have good luck with it. needless to say, after 40mi its goin back on. guess il just have to wait for a real intake to come out for it

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The snorkus is engineering to reduce water getting into the engine and to keep the intake more quiet...explaining your increase in noise...

I'm sure the loss of MPG is a result of the loss of power...the loss of power is probably a result of there being less of a place for pressure to build-up/store itself in the intake.

Many people complain of a low-end loss of power when switching to a CAI or shortram b/c of their loss of the stock airbox (which tends to build up pressure and increase low end response)...your snorkus is probably acting as a secondary "airbox" of sorts.

B/c the intakes are drastically different on the NA models of 1998-2001 (where I have my experience and where snorkus removal works) and 08, i can only imagine that the snorkus is engineered better in 08 and acts as a secondary airbox to store up pressure and increase performance. The throttle bodies are even different between these years (even though they are both SOHC NA ej25s) as well as the lack of variable valve timing in the 99-01 SOHC RS engines.

In short, leave it on there...but you will lose noticeable low-end throttle response when you use an aftermarket intake as well...even though your top-end will increase.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts