Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so im thinkin bigger top mount and a protune.any thoughts,and specs would really help too

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
I like perrin for a bigger top mount....A stock TMIC is 11 x 9.25 x 2.5 inches, the Perrin units are 11 x 10.8 x 4 inches. The volume is almost doubled, and the internal passages are .375" as opposed to the stock's .2" And run about $900..

As for a protune I would talk to people who tune in your area and what they recommend I like the COBB AP, but that is what most tuners around me recommend..
And here with the tuner I know its $944 with the cobb ap, 3 runs on a dyno and a protune... Hope I helped you a little bit..

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yeah i was kinda leanin to avo topmount, little smaller dimensions but to each his own right.ive heard of a place in conneticut thats suppose to be pretty good tuning but yo thats like 3 hrs away.no torque or hp specs huh

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
No sorry I dont have any specs I do know a bigger top mount enables you to have more boost.. However for the price my take on it is to buy a front mount kit just a few hundred more.. But it all depends on what the end result of you car is going to be.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yo i hear ya,i was gonna do bigger turbo but my boy steered me away.its an everyday driver 40 miles one way, bigger turbo,ahhhh new tranny.if i were to do turbo id go vf40, simple 290hp rating.maybe next year cars only 3 months old.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
maybe increase HP by increasing boost? I saw a 06LGT Stage 2 getting pro-tuned by Dave from MSPT and Clark Turner. Stock everything aside from d/p (obviously), Fujitusbo exhaust, Cobb intake, and Perrin TMIC. He put down 26XWHP. Not sure if thats expected.... dont know too much about stage 2 LGT's.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have not seen it here but LGT owners (on other forums) have reported issues of the OEM intercooler splitting on the turbo side. This is due to running higher boost.. and I believe the LGTs turbo is larger too...

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
thats right, LGT folks w/ stage 2 or more have issues. There are fixes for it and can be found on lgt.com and on nasioc.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
thats right, LGT folks w/ stage 2 or more have issues. There are fixes for it and can be found on lgt.com and on nasioc.
I read the fix on LGT.com... wasn't it plastic straps and JB Weld :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
haha yeah, I wont be going that route. I rather get a used IC or get an aftermarket TMIC (if I plan to keep the car forever).

·
Registered
22 Posts
I went with an AVO TMIC to feed my AVO 380 turbo (equiv to an 18G). After rough experience mixing and matching manufacturers, it just seemed safest.

Pro-tune by Tim Bailey got 260whp/350wtq on a Mustang dyno:

If the graph looks odd, bear in mind that I drive an automatic transmission with a custom torque converter.

On the track, the turbo pulls all the way through once it spools: Horsepower continues to increase all the way to redline. An FMIC and bigger turbo would greatly increase top end speed, but I would pay for it in low-end acceleration due to the increased spool time and longer draw length to the larger turbo. Since this is my DD, I'm sticking with my current setup for now (using SportShift, I can rip around any slugs on the highway just as fast as a manual tranny can).

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
I went with an AVO TMIC to feed my AVO 380 turbo (equiv to an 18G). After rough experience mixing and matching manufacturers, it just seemed safest.

Pro-tune by Tim Bailey got 260whp/350wtq on a Mustang dyno:

If the graph looks odd, bear in mind that I drive an automatic transmission with a custom torque converter.

On the track, the turbo pulls all the way through once it spools: Horsepower continues to increase all the way to redline. An FMIC and bigger turbo would greatly increase top end speed, but I would pay for it in low-end acceleration due to the increased spool time and longer draw length to the larger turbo. Since this is my DD, I'm sticking with my current setup for now (using SportShift, I can rip around any slugs on the highway just as fast as a manual tranny can).
Thanks for the post. do you have a larger fuel pump and injectors too? what other supporting mods do you have? cheers :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
I haven't added pump/injectors yet, but they're next on the list. From what I hear, that's what I'll need to get the most out of my current setup.

Current performance mods:
ProTorque torque converter
AVO 380 turbo
AVO TMIC
Invidia catless DP
Cobb TBE
Cobb AccessPort2 w/pro-tune by Tim Bailey

Also:
Cobb F/R swaybars
Cobb Sport Springs
OZ 17"x8" rims w/F1 Eagle 225/45R17
Hella Super Tones
LoJack ;)

In transit/awaiting installation:
RallyArmor mudflaps
Defi VSDX <a href="http://www.defi-shop.com/product/vsdx/vsdx_top.html">Head-Up Display</a>

Destined to eat up November thru January paychecks:
Larger injectors
Upgraded fuel pump
Cobb heat shield
Defi guages (turbo boost, oil temp, oil pressure)

If, after all that, my girlfriend hasn't left me and my dog hasn't killed me, then I might look into further upgrades next Summer :p

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
would changing injectors be mandatory? I thought the 08 WRX has a very similar fuel system to the 08 STi. And the 08 WRX is supposed to have a better fuel system than even the 06 STi. I read that somewhere on NASIOC. Can we get a new pump and "mod" the injectors and just remove the "screen"?

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
apparently the walbro 255 l pump is not very good from what i have read on the legacy forums. avo is supposed to be the better product w/ less failures. removing the screen on the injectors does indeed improve their performance but i don't know if i would want to remove the screens. i know they are post fuel filter but the thoughts of plugged injectors...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts