Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I just ordered the stage 1 and tactrix cable today. I started reading the directions for flashing the stage 1 file... it says the following after flashing... Turn the vehicle to the off position and back to the on position and wait 5 seconds. Then start the vehicle.

Does that mean the car was originally in the on position? which ignition position? 1, 2, 3, or 4? that's the markings on the round metal plate on my ignition.

I know it says not to have the car running (in big red font), but I didnt see anywhere that said to put the ignition to the 1, 2, 3, or 4 position before plugging in my tactrix cable.

Help please... i have a few days before my cable gets here :)

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
you will flash the map to the car with the key in on position. 1 click before start. then once its complete turn back to off. then start the car like normal. it may take a few seconds of cranking to start right after the flash. dont freak out,it will start. the idle and gas pedal will feel weird for a little while too. its your car learning all the new map parameters.

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
i'm pretty sure those are the instruction i put together and i hope they are clear enough for most but ...

you flash the car in the ON position, correct. position 3.
your key cylinder shows 1, 2, 3, 4. it also shows above 2, ACC. above 3, ON, and above 4, START.

once flashed, you can turn the vehicle off by removing the key, reinsert the key and turn to position three, ON, again. wait 5-10 seconds, then start the car. waiting that period of time will allow the car to start instantly vs it cranking and not starting immediately and freaking you out.

g'luck.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
great help 424wrx and monkiboy. i appreciate it. I'm so excited about getting this flashed.... only heard good things about TP maps. This will be my first :)

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another question.... for the datalogging... how do you guys do the WOT pull in 3rd? Do you just get on the expressway at low speed, put it in 3rd gear (at 2K RPM), then punch it up til redline? What's my speed going to be at redline in 3rd gear? I have an 09wrx...

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
3rd gear goes up to about 95 mph. You can call it quits a little early. Find a safe place to do it. In general I use an on ramp to a highway with little traffic. Or a lightly traveled highway frontage road, yes I am speeding, but low risk.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Eric,

Do you think it will be enough data if i stop around 80 or 85mph?

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It will probably be enough data. If thats the case. Also get a 2nd gear pull so that i can monitor for any issues at higher RPM's

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Lol. I can do it if you take care of my legal fees :D

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys. Got the car flashed and it drives soooo smooth :) I love it. This is a definite requirement for every WRX owner. Thanks Eric!

I finally did some datalogging and have linked it below. Can someone please take a look and let me know how things look after the flash? BTW, i'm driving an 09wrx, stock, TP stage 1.... in GA and some logs are with AC on and some with AC off. Does that make a difference?

also what's going on with the knock correction? It's reading numbers in the thousands... is that right?

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqT-P4fd97GBdEFia1VHekx4Y2FkNlE4emd1R0wzX0E&hl=en_US&authkey=CNCwzP0H

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqT-P4fd97GBdDdpTy1IWlRkdTRZX3R6MFJqMFl1Tnc&hl=en_US&authkey=CIzL-skM

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqT-P4fd97GBdDNlNkRTbV9JWG9hTmlGT3lFYy1GZWc&hl=en_US&authkey=CMXP4uwM

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
It's probably the wrong ecu location. It looks most likely like it would be something like knock correction advance but with bad conversions going on.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks eric. I'll grab a different light file and run it again.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, what's everyone getting as far as gas mileage w/ TP stage 1? Mine is terrible... i'm getting like 17 and I never get on it. I think before I was getting somewhere between 21 and 23 with my commute to work :(

·
Registered
330 Posts
Stage 1 I was averaging about 23-24ish. Stage 2 I average about 25-27ish. Mostly highway and suburban roads, no real city driving.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
eric,

can you check out my latest logs? Not sure if everything looks ok or not. i noticed i dont hit 18psi, but i'm not sure if most people see 18. car seems to run pretty good, only thing i notice is my mileage is down to about 20mpg... whereas before i was about 23 (same commute to and from work)...

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqT-P4fd97GBdHByTzZvNTNzWDBiSjAwUFhnRENucWc&hl=en_US

https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AqT-P4fd97GBdGNkdWVlY2dwYjJTR215MldCeE5tOXc&hl=en_US

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
i average about 24mpg right now. stage 2 vf52 swap. highway is about 25 mpg.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts