Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my AP yesterday and just had a few questions. First, should I wait to change any maps until I get past my 1k mile break in? Secondly, the grade of gas varies around here, would I have to change the map each time I went from 91 to 93 octane fuel? And last but not least, I'm guessing to just run the live data you just leave the AP plugged in instead of removing it? I just want to make sure I don't damage anything by being ignorant. Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have 700 miles on my car, and I installed the AP with 91 map. I'm not abusing the car, so it's not going to be a problem. As for your question, make a choice on the map and stick with that octane. Don't put the 93 octane map when it takes you 30 miles one way for you to fill up or vice versa.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have 700 miles on my car, and I installed the AP with 91 map. I'm not abusing the car, so it's not going to be a problem. As for your question, make a choice on the map and stick with that octane. Don't put the 93 octane map when it takes you 30 miles one way for you to fill up or vice versa.
Ok I should be able to consistantly get 93 octane that isn't too far out of my way. I don't plan to drive the car aggressively just yet, I am still waiting for the 1k mile mark, so I should be ok installing it now. To run the LiveData I just leave it plugged in after installing the map correct? Thanks!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Ok I should be able to consistantly get 93 octane that isn't too far out of my way. I don't plan to drive the car aggressively just yet, I am still waiting for the 1k mile mark, so I should be ok installing it now. To run the LiveData I just leave it plugged in after installing the map correct? Thanks!
That's correct ;D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I installed Stage 1 93 Octane...it is a pretty sweet set-up. Now how can I tell if I'm losing mpg using this map? I'm really concerned about it messing anything up. Also, is there any way to just use the AP gauges and things without installing a new map on the ecu? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Im alway putting 94 into the car since the second fill-up (my dealer gave me a full tank of 91)
but i do alway carry a can of octane booster for when i have no choice to pump 91

·
Registered
717 Posts
as far as i have read about octane boosters, they're don't really produce significant effects. i had a good website to prove it, ill post it if i find it again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
as far as i have read about octane boosters, they're don't really produce significant effects. i had a good website to prove it, ill post it if i find it again.
advancing your car's timing to near perfection on Octane 98 (for example cos thats what i have here at home) will make your car very efficient with 98.

However, if you were to decide to pump 95 into the tank, you risk early detonation in the engine, causing loss of power and damage to the engine if that happens alot.

This is very significant with the engine on high temperature (on the track, when oil temperature goes past 110 deg C).

Using the octane booster in performance application simply ensure your engine's fuel doesn't detonate on meeting the hot cylinders on tuned cars. It isn't a magical pill that gives you 5 HP

1 - 9 of 9 Posts