Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After waiting for what felt like forever, i finally got my car down to Sepang F1 Circult in Kuala Lumpur Malaysia, about 2+ hours (at our speed) to get to from Singapore.

And the VDC. Just like to state that we should all be extremely proud to own a 08 WRX. The VDC is just awesome. The VDC makes the car point into the direction you want!

But anyway, the awesome handling is not only from the VDC. Its the lighter chassis, the wider wheelbase, the great balance in the factory and the VDC that gives our car such great handling. If your car were to slide, it will slide on all 4 wheels easily (w/o vdc input yet). If the awesome balance of the car fails, thats when the VDC kicks in.

The highlight of the day was me getting some driving tips from Denis Lian, a pro driver in Singapore (In the afternoon track session after Courteau and Anticode left). I swear there were some times i thought "thats it. My car's gonna be wrecked by Singapore's finest", but there he goes, with the car firmly stuck to the ground... Inspired, i swear my driving improved significantly after that, just by watching him drive. At least i know what to work on from now on, instead of driving around aimlessly w/o knowing what i'm doing wrong.

Just one example of what a pro driver can do. His top speed on the track, on my car was 193km/h, while mine was 187km/h. This was done simply by going faster around turn 15 and accelerating earlier after turn 15. Awesome stuff.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

Video of my drive pass.. roughly 170km/h at this point. Car reaches abt 187km/h+ before braking.

Finally getting my ass on the track!

Down the grandstand!

Back to the pits! High oil temp, high water temp...

Finally got some pointers from Denis Lian, one of the few pro drivers in Singapore...

Back from the eye opening experience. "the car can do that?!?!??!"

More pics

What my rims look like at the end of the day.. its all covered by brake dust.

My trip back. Attempted to take pics of my car's topspeed. here it is at about 215km/h, thought not really well taken.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nice, i like the pic from the front... was that guy there in the morning or he just came in the afternoon ? which car is he driving ?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nice, i like the pic from the front... was that guy there in the morning or he just came in the afternoon ? which car is he driving ?
that guy wasn't therein the morning! haha he drives a formula car.. hahah nah joking. he came in someone else's car. he basically hangs around trackdays for singaporeans whenever he's off season.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yea its what i mean which kind of racing car he's driving haha
i should have stay and go for another spin with you after your class... but the sun hit me hard that morning i was feeling a bit not so good cause i didnt drink enough and the track was dam hot !

·
Registered
0 Posts
you manage to hit 215km/h on the way back?
i was trying to "race" my fren's GTi on the way back but i was hinder by the 180km/h JDM speed cut.
manage to hit 188km/h (reading off my GPS) on the 3rd gear before the speedcut kicked in and drop my rev down to 4.5k.
am excited to know what's the 4th gear speed would be after the ecu flash.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
i went at 200kmh once but didnt dare to try more cause the road was really cold...

·
Registered
0 Posts
i was trying to "race" my fren's GTi on the way back but i was hinder by the 180km/h JDM speed cut.
manage to hit 188km/h (reading off my GPS) on the 3rd gear before the speedcut kicked in and drop my rev down to 4.5k.
Bro are you driving a SGT??? Wat ECU flash u going to do ah??? Getting my SGT soon... Need lots of pointers from you guys... ;D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
stupid speed cut!. my car could easily have gone to the redline on 5th gear, but due to traffic and temperatures, i did not want to go all the way..

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bro are you driving a SGT??? Wat ECU flash u going to do ah??? Getting my SGT soon... Need lots of pointers from you guys... ;D
There's only ECUTEK for now.

·
Registered
0 Posts
There's only ECUTEK for now.
Oh ok how much increase will there be? which workshop is doing ECUTEK?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for a stock wrx, you could be looking at a 30-40 increase with catless and aftermarket exhaust setup.

But do note that if you do increase power, do spend some money on cooling if you're serious about racing the car.

·
Registered
0 Posts
for a stock wrx, you could be looking at a 30-40 increase with catless and aftermarket exhaust setup.

But do note that if you do increase power, do spend some money on cooling if you're serious about racing the car.
Oh ok... Very new to TC car... Need tips and guidence from you guys...
So in short am i right that if do ECU flashing must go with exhuast setup and bigger intercooler? Do we still need to mod the air intake?
BTW mine is SGT so is the modding the same as manual rex? Sorry to be asking so many questions. Haha ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So in short am i right that if do ECU flashing must go with exhuast setup and bigger intercooler? Do we still need to mod the air intake?
BTW mine is SGT so is the modding the same as manual rex? Sorry to be asking so many questions. Haha ;D ;D ;D
Yes you're right in the sense that tuning should be done after at least exhaust and intake mods. Otherwise you're kinda wasting the tune, though you will see more power after tuning a stock car anyway.

For a TC cars, the most bang for the buck mod would be knocking thru the Cat converter. The turbo can breath easier, spooling up earlier, faster and harder.

For a more balanced mod, you'll need to have better cooling as well. Otherwise you'll see yourself running too hot etc. So getting gauges 1st would be a good idea.

For SGT, there's the gearbox to worry about. There's things like ATF Cooler and torque converter (or simply swapping gearbox with a manual) to think about.

from our experience on a stock wrx that day at the track, the car's handling is too lousy to supports its own power. So I'll recommend getting some handling upgrades too after getting the exhaust etc. (don't see u talking about handling :mad:)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi to all,

Am currently driving a 2 1/2 month old S-GT. Based on my experience from the track yesterday, some of the MUST DO stuff on my almost stock S-GT before i hit the tracks again are as follow (I was struggling to even do 3 laps before the oil temp hit 120 degree.)....

Oil cooler (Blitz), Coilovers (Tein Monoflex), big brake kit (Red Rotora 6 Pot)!

My current mods are Defi Gauges, Hayden ATF Cooler, Blitz Open pod.
As per Pehon advise, do get the handling right first before HPs come in. The S-GT handling on the track is really bad as we don't have VDC on our ride.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Yes you're right in the sense that tuning should be done after at least exhaust and intake mods. Otherwise you're kinda wasting the tune, though you will see more power after tuning a stock car anyway.

For a TC cars, the most bang for the buck mod would be knocking thru the Cat converter. The turbo can breath easier, spooling up earlier, faster and harder.

For a more balanced mod, you'll need to have better cooling as well. Otherwise you'll see yourself running too hot etc. So getting gauges 1st would be a good idea.

For SGT, there's the gearbox to worry about. There's things like ATF Cooler and torque converter (or simply swapping gearbox with a manual) to think about.

from our experience on a stock wrx that day at the track, the car's handling is too lousy to supports its own power. So I'll recommend getting some handling upgrades too after getting the exhaust etc. (don't see u talking about handling :mad:)
Understand... Actually i'm coming to handling... Thinking of getting Tein Coilovers for handling... But don't know which model to go for...
Is it a must to upgrade into 6 pot even if not tracking after doing exhuast, air intake and ECU tunning?

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi to all,

Am currently driving a 2 1/2 month old S-GT. Based on my experience from the track yesterday, some of the MUST DO stuff on my almost stock S-GT before i hit the tracks again are as follow (I was struggling to even do 3 laps before the oil temp hit 120 degree.)....

Oil cooler (Blitz), Coilovers (Tein Monoflex), big brake kit (Red Rotora 6 Pot)!

My current mods are Defi Gauges, Hayden ATF Cooler, Blitz Open pod.
As per Pehon advise, do get the handling right first before HPs come in. The S-GT handling on the track is really bad as we don't have VDC on our ride.
well, at least u will appreciate ur modification next time. that's why i also want to experience a stock handling first on track first. cant wait to get back on it after such a long time, hehe... ;)

·
Registered
0 Posts
Understand... Actually i'm coming to handling... Thinking of getting Tein Coilovers for handling... But don't know which model to go for...
Is it a must to upgrade into 6 pot even if not tracking after doing exhuast, air intake and ECU tunning?
I would do the brakes first if i had the choice (safety first). Current pads is only good enough if you don't intend to speed :p

also, if you want to keep your wallet intact, keep clear of Pehon's car. it's like a mobile showroom. Really hazardous.

·
Registered
519 Posts
JDM cars cut at 180 km? I wonder about the USDM I had mine to 210 (130mph) and it was still climbing but I was on a two lane back road. I am sure I could have gone another 10-15 km to probably about 140-45 mph if not more.

That would be an awesome track day!!! We have Miller Motorsports Park here in Utah. The largest in North America. I haven't got to drive it but I have heard other Suby owners say it was a blast.

Seth

1 - 20 of 39 Posts