Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been racing for several years now (fielding a Honda Challenge car and now a 944 Spec car for next year) and my wife is now taking Driving Schools with her 2008 WRX. We just tracked it for the first time last week and wow...holy body roll and bad brakes. We really need to address some of these issues but still leave the car comfortable for daily driving.

What is recommended for this car?
- SS Lines (goodrich work ok?...anyone sell SS lines that are also rubber coated for added protection? - I have had a SS line get a knick in it from a rock that allowed the SS braid to sever and the teflon to literally balloon out and pop under hard braking!)
- I run ATE Super Blue
- Track Pads - what is recommended for the WRX? I usually run Hawk Blues on my race cars but don't want to chew up the rotors so quickly.
- Springs (Pink springs are STI? and a good upgrade?)

I've also heard of those doing the "poor man's STI" by picking up the take offs from STI owners looking to aftermarket upgrade. This would include brakes, etc.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I've been racing for several years now (fielding a Honda Challenge car and now a 944 Spec car for next year) and my wife is now taking Driving Schools with her 2008 WRX. We just tracked it for the first time last week and wow...holy body roll and bad brakes. We really need to address some of these issues but still leave the car comfortable for daily driving.

What is recommended for this car?
- SS Lines (goodrich work ok?...anyone sell SS lines that are also rubber coated for added protection? - I have had a SS line get a knick in it from a rock that allowed the SS braid to sever and the teflon to literally balloon out and pop under hard braking!)
- I run ATE Super Blue
- Track Pads - what is recommended for the WRX? I usually run Hawk Blues on my race cars but don't want to chew up the rotors so quickly.
- Springs (Pink springs are STI? and a good upgrade?)

I've also heard of those doing the "poor man's STI" by picking up the take offs from STI owners looking to aftermarket upgrade. This would include brakes, etc.
To address just the questions you asked:
If you are running into heating issues you already have good fluid and stainless lines would be good. I use Earl's myself. Hawk pads, for the street and the track set you mention have higher temp ranges. Metal masters, AEM, ProjectMu also have good pads for the vehicle. As far as chewing the rotors, I wouldn't hassle too much with this as they are pretty resistant to friction, however, I swap out to Brembo slotted anyways. They have a better temp dissipation rate and longevity than stock. Pretty cheap nowadays also.
At this point, I have run into the brake fluid boiling over so the next way to go would be to increase the actual brake surface area for temp dissipations, and/or increasing clamping force and area.
STi upgrades are definitely good hear as you can have front and rear balance from the OEM. There are also a slew of other companies that offer brake packages that are good. There are 4 and 6 pot upgrades now, but I don't know the availability of the rear sets. I think this would have too much front brake bias if swapping only the front.

STi pinks are nice and wont alter the ride much. Neither would COBB, or most springs sets because of the damper limitations and longevity issues. Before springs, I would go with some good sway bars. This will alleviate alot of your rolling issues while still maintaining the already short suspension travel of the 2008s.

Here is a link for parts reference:
http://wrxfanatics.com/blog/2008-parts/

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't know about the blog for the 2008s. Very helpful information.

·
Registered
298 Posts
yeah, the brakes on the wrx are really not meant for track days. i've gotten mine to overheat at an autox, and i fear taking it on the track.. i'd definitely do lines, fluid, and pads (no recommendation on which kind though..) and maybe get some better cooling rotors (or obviously a whole bbk). i've gotten used to the body roll though :) some adjustable sways are never a bad option though.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I've always liked Hawk pads, even though a lot of them do eat up rotors a little quickly, but they also don't leave deposits as eagerly as many other pads do depending on which pads you go with.

There is some upgrade that a couple people have done, I can't remember the details, but it involves swapping out one end's calipers (I think the front) for those of a previous year. It's something to inquire about anyway. You won't be able to use brakes off of an STI due to the different bolt pattern though, I'm not sure about the 04 STI's though (the only US STI with the same bolt pattern).

The STI springs wouldn't be a terrible choice, although a set of coilovers would be nice, or even trying to score used 09 springs and shocks (which people should start selling soon hopefully) would be a pretty nice cheap option. As far as coilovers, Tein SS-P's are the softest coilovers that are out at the moment and would probably be the most appropriate coilover for a dual duty car at the moment.

The body roll is really kind of weird imo. After living with it for a while and paying attention to it, the car doesn't actually seem to roll all that much past the first little bit of initial roll which happens very eagerly, but drastically slows down the car's response to initial steering inputs.

I have whiteline bars (temporarily removed till my group-a endlinks get in), and for a dual duty car (if that's what her wrx is) they would work really well imo. Though they make things feel a little weird to me given how much dive and squat is still present, yet body roll is almost completely eliminated.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I run Hawk Blues on my Honda Challenge car - I replace them every other year as they wear nicely. Also run $20 Autozone rotors which work just as well as $50 Brembo Blanks.

I just ordered a set of EBC Yellows for the WRX so I'll see how they do. A lot of my 944 Turbo buddies who use them for street/track swear by them and they last a good long time. I'm going to fashion a better brake cooling duct off the backing plates than the little vents they made. That'll go a long way in reducing temperatures.

I may pick up some Perrin sway bars and endlinks and move up to STI Pink Springs then dial it in from there. I'm not too worried about making this too track prepared but much easier to drive on the track without making it too stiff and uncomfortable on the street.

·
Registered
651 Posts
if you run the oe calipers/rotors you'll want to beef up the system as much as possible. Uprated fluid is a given. Pad selection for the front is pretty good (we share the same pad as the 03-05 WRX), the rear is a relatively new pad- FMSI D1114. I have an inquiry into Hawk what is available in that size (if any?).

You will also want to provide additional air to the front. The most effective setup would a duct system that dumped air directly into the rear of the rotor. The easiest (albeit less effective) route would be to remove the front dust shields and route air from the fog lamps to the fender well (doing your best to get directed at the rear of the rotor).

A cheap BBK option would be to source a set of LGT calipers/rotors- they use a 316x20 rotor (vs a 294x24). You can source these pretty cheap through salvage yards (Tribeca calipers will work as well, but not their rotors).

Suspension wise front and rear sway bars would be provide a good bump in roll stiffness. Also look into the 09 WRX strut/spring setup- firmer rates than the pinks (firmer dampers too) w/o being overly stiff. RCE is selling this setup complete: http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24101320&postcount=6

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'll be installing a set of Pink springs sometime this month so can't wait to stiffen up the car some. They are not matched to the stock suspension but I'm hoping it will not overwhelm them. I'll also put on ss lines while I'm in there. Won't have another track weekend til next year (finally have majority of my weekends free and nothing major to do) but will definitely give my impression of how the EBC Yellows do - we are keeping the stock pads on for the street.

One of my biggest problems is pedal work as I cannot heel/toe very well in this car. It seems the the space between the brake / gas pedal is quite large and the gas pedal is pretty small and doesn't go down more towards the floor (I can heel/toe in two methods - the rolling of the foot from the brake onto the gas and also 45 degree my foot from brake to the gas - ala a 911/944 style pedal that goes all the way to the floor. I've got size 13" feet and my long legs (I'm 6'3" - which I'm a little too tall and get cramped getting my feet as just not enough room). Even with my normal tennis shoes, my pilotis or my simpson racing shoes I just can't reliably heel/toe. Would putting in the STI pedals help to that affect or just pick up some cheapo bolt on sport pedals?

·
Registered
651 Posts
I use the roll your foot method (not coordinated enough to get my foot at a 45 degree angle :)). Spacing isn't ideal, but not terrible either- lots of practice everyday driving has helped me a ton.

Does the STi pedal set have a wider gas pedal? If it does, that would likely help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I run Hawk Blues on my Honda Challenge car - I replace them every other year as they wear nicely. Also run Autozone rotors which work just as well as Brembo Blanks.

I just ordered a set of EBC Yellows for the WRX so I'll see how they do. A lot of my 944 Turbo buddies who use them for street/track swear by them and they last a good long time. I'm going to fashion a better brake cooling duct off the backing plates than the little vents they made. That'll go a long way in reducing temperatures.

I may pick up some Perrin sway bars and endlinks and move up to STI Pink Springs then dial it in from there. I'm not too worried about making this too track prepared but much easier to drive on the track without making it too stiff and uncomfortable on the street.
Have you run the $20 autozone rotors on the Rex? I ask this because I assume the WRX is a heavier car than your Honda Challenge car and I would think heat buildup would be more of a problem with the WRX therefore making the rotors more prone to warping. If that isn't the case, I would much rather pick up a few $20 autozone rotors and have those eaten up and keep an extra pair around for after track duties.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Haven't had a need to run new rotors yet. I'd think the rotors for the WRX cost more than $20 as they are ventilated and larger than the small / non ventilated rotors for an early Civic. I was confused with the name REX as that was what a lot of folks called the CRX too.

I won't get the WRX out to the track until mid / late summer / fall as I am racing in the 944 Spec series and just built my car and need to get some seat time to develop and sort it out before the first races.

·
Registered
298 Posts
the problem with cheap rotors is that the wrx already has brake cooling issues, they're very easy to overheat and lose a lot of braking. your best bet is to try to brake at 75% or so, otherwise i'd give you 2 laps before your brakes are on fire ;) the front rotors are vented on the wrx, but the rears aren't.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I will eventually modify the dust covers and cut out a hole and create a thin gauge sheet metal plate that'll scoop air into the caliper/rotor (like how Porsche does with some of its cars such as the 944 Turbo).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts