Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two options, I can buy out my lease on my 08 5-door or I can trade in for an 09. Obviously the better horsepower and suspension in the 09 are attractive but I keep hearing that the 08s have better low-end power.

Opinions?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I havent driven an 09, I'm sure several members can comment on the differences. But yes, the 08 does make a good amount of torque down low, and spool up time is quicker on the 08.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I own an 08, drove an 09 when deciding whether to trade up for it.

I did not find it worthwhile to trade nor desirable given my exiting position. I prefer the low end torque to the high end power of the 09. I would change the suspension on the '09 anyway, however if you are a factory guy, the '09 is a better complete car.

Personally I think both are great, however I feel the '09 has gotten undeserved respect in the community simply because Subaru appeared to "listen" to the community. When you put the cars next to one another there is not that much differences in overall value in my opinion.

·
Registered
988 Posts
I was going to trade in my 08 for a 09 but I was going to take a heavy loss on the trade in value. Plus I didn't feel like taking everything off my 08. I'm on stg 2 and pretty happy with the power I have now. I guess if you don't mind taking a hit for the stiffer suspension and better top end go for it. You could always get stiffer suspension and 09 turbo for you 08.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I guess if you can grab the 09 then grab it. Everyone is ditching their 08's anyway. :'( ::)

·
Registered
32 Posts
I guess if you can grab the 09 then grab it. Everyone is ditching their 08's anyway. :'( ::)
Interesting

Carefull what you say about the 08 v 09 least your karma take a hiding, check mine out. ;D

·
Registered
262 Posts
The only reason I said that everyone is trading them in on the 09's is because on various wrx boards there are a lot of people bitching about the 08's and some even trading in for the 09 (god knows why).

I am HAPPY with my 08. For a little bit of money I can get to an 09 hp wise. Am i going to do it? No.

·
Registered
298 Posts
The only reason I said that everyone is trading them in on the 09's is because on various wrx boards there are a lot of people bitching about the 08's and some even trading in for the 09 (god knows why).
i can understand to some extent why people would want to upgrade.. to make an 08 up to the 09 specs completely would be very expensive (exhaust, turbo, tune, coilovers, sway bars, wing, and grill - and other stuff too - and for those without the premium package you'd need the front/rear lips and side skirts). not to mention, you'd have to cut a hole in your roof if you wanted a sunroof ;) granted, you could bring the performance up to 09 specs for a lot less than that, but it's still going to be about as much as you lose trading it in, so it's not like they're losing money. you're also backed by the warranty if anything goes wrong, whereas if you get aftermarket parts, your warranty is questionable on those parts. so if you can get a decent deal and not lose much, why not?

i have my own personal reasons for wanting to switch to an 09 (i autox in a stock class, so i can't mod anything really), but i'm not willing to eat the couple grand i'd lose.. yet.. :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
i have my own personal reasons for wanting to switch to an 09 (i autox in a stock class, so i can't mod anything really), but i'm not willing to eat the couple grand i'd lose.. yet.. :)
The force is strong with this one :)

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Honestly, I would go with whichever one is cheaper. I've owned an 08, and I have an 09 now. I did not trade because of the improvements (my 08 had problems that would have been very difficult to fix), and I can honestly say that it would not be worth it to do so. The 09 is slightly more fun in dry weather, but not enough to take a huge loss on. The 08, in the meantime, is going to be more fun in the snow, or lower speed situations where torque is important. The spool times on the 08 are far superior to those of the 09, though the 09 does make more power up top. It's mainly just a question of torque vs hp.

The suspension is the biggest improvement as far as making the car more fun to drive. I would see if you can get a set of 09 strut/spring take-offs. I would wager that an 08 with an 09 suspension (including sways as big, or bigger than what come on the 09), the 08 would do better in autocross and situations with lots of tight turns and short straights. If you are in a situation where blasting down long straights is important, the 09 would be faster. An 08 with an 09 suspension and decent tires would be tits though and probably slightly more fun to drive day to day than a stock 09. Neither is really significantly better or worse than the other. It's worth noting that I VERY rarely get a chance to really open the 09 up on public roads (unless I wanted to be a huge hazard) even with the relatively high speed limits here in CO, though the entire 08's powerband can be used pretty frequently without being too much of a danger to others.

The only reason upgrading to an 09 might be worth it is if you are really into autocross like fireZ and want to stay in stock class, or if you are going to keep your car stock for as long as you have it in which case the suspension is really the main bonus. Having had both though, an 08 with a 09 suspension would be my preference, though it's hard to justify downsizing the turbo aftermarket. A 16g or something might be fun, though I really don't want to do a turbo swap.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
yeah im talking about the dudes who just up and trade their perfectly fine 08's for 09's just because they think they're faster than the STI for some reason...Boys and girls any car can be faster than any other car, if there really is no reason to trade for an 09 than dont do it, having a complex over a car is the stupidest thing since george bush...

and 19, i tried to even out your karma, whil i disagreed with your topic, i think its silly people raped you karma wise :(

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Getting a car for hp bragging rights is dumb. Getting a car that is more satisfying to drive in the situations you will be driving it in is the only correct decision for any non-douchebag. The 09 is NOT faster than an STI. The only reason it has an edge in lower-speed straightline acceleration is because of the gearing and more shifting required in the STI. Stupid magazine comparisons make it look like the 09's are so much faster just because they beat them half to death while launching.

Interesting

Carefull what you say about the 08 v 09 least your karma take a hiding, check mine out. ;D
Your karma took a hit because you pissed a bunch of people off with your trolling, making unnecessary threads about something that was beaten to death months ago, and trying to whip people up just because you were mad. I don't know what you expected given that numerous people were telling you to stop and drop it, yet you insisted on continuing to troll. It had nothing to do with your thoughts or opinions on the 08 v 09 topic, but rather the way you decided to express and deal with those thoughts and opinions.

·
Registered
32 Posts
crap,

smite me ;D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Well, I got an 09 because it was out when I was shopping...I liked the spoiler, side-skirts, and no chrome. Other than that, the dealers that are around here didn't have an 08 I was interested in (had to be a hatch...)

LOL, 19, like the signature.

joneSi

·
Registered
262 Posts
Getting a car for hp bragging rights is dumb. Getting a car that is more satisfying to drive in the situations you will be driving it in is the only correct decision for any non-douchebag. The 09 is NOT faster than an STI. The only reason it has an edge in lower-speed straightline acceleration is because of the gearing and more shifting required in the STI. Stupid magazine comparisons make it look like the 09's are so much faster just because they beat them half to death while launching.

Interesting

Your karma took a hit because you pissed a bunch of people off with your trolling, making unnecessary threads about something that was beaten to death months ago, and trying to whip people up just because you were mad. I don't know what you expected given that numerous people were telling you to stop and drop it, yet you insisted on continuing to troll. It had nothing to do with your thoughts or opinions on the 08 v 09 topic, but rather the way you decided to express and deal with those thoughts and opinions.
eh

1 - 20 of 20 Posts