Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't really know where else to post this, so mods feel free to relocate if needed. I did quite a bit of searching and only found a few posts here and there about those that wanted or needed a trailer hitch on their car so I thought I would put this out there for the people.

I fish quite a bit and need to haul around a little 16' aluminum Lund as well as light duty pulling (snowmobile, general stuff, Home Depot runs) nothing crazy and needed a hitch. I purchased my 09 specifically because of the increased power over the 08 and did not get the 2010 because there is not a trailer hitch available for the car due to the dual exhaust.

I got the DrawTite hitch due to the price point. All of the hitches that I found stated "No Drilling" which is a load of crap. All of the hitches require drilling. The install took me about an hour-and-a-half, but if I were to do it again, I'm pretty sure I could have it done in about 30 minutes.

If you have specific questions about it or the install, feel free to post or shoot me a PM. I have not done the wiring for the lights yet but that looks pretty straight forward.

Here is the hitch:

·
Registered
418 Posts
Can you post some pics with a trailor attached to the car lol? How is it driving because i was thinking about doing this to haul my honda 300ex around. My lil Ranger just doenst have the power to get up the Maryland mountains!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have not hauled anything around with it yet so I can't report as to how it drives. I'm sure it stiffened up the rear end pretty significantly thought. I hope to do the wiring this week and then I need to haul my boat to a guy to get a tune up, so yeah, I'll post a few pics when I have it on the back, no problem!

·
Registered
183 Posts
They tow just fine. I have hauled my small trailer with 3 dirt bikes on it several times. Honestly, if you drive correctly, you wont even know its there other then a slight drag at take off.

·
Registered
418 Posts
lol bet the mpg drops.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I had that same hitch, used just for a hitch mount bike rack. I think it was the same anyways, since the Reese/DrawTite/HiddenHitch brands seem to be the same (the instructions has the part number for all 3 of those companies)

Yeah I had to drill, to insert the carriage bolt washers, but that was it. It immediately rubbed on the stock exhaust, luckily I was at a buddies shop so we pulled it off, and ground some material off to make it fit. Occasionally the muffler would rub on the bar, when the exhaust was hot and the length would grow enough to contact the hitch, like at a track day or if you do a 1-2-3 pull at WOT.

I don't think they test these hitches very well they just make sure they fit statically, but don't leave enough clearance for the exhaust to move around, on the rubber mounts.

I eventually just took mine off and tossed it since I wasn't using it enough. If I need a hitch again I'll do the OEM Forester one.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Looks great man! I might have to help you test it out.... for the best hitch test we'll have to take your boat fishing!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Dear Bonestock,
would you please post me a DIY on how to rig up the brake lights and turn signals on my trailer.
Sincerely, David.

They tow just fine. I have hauled my small trailer with 3 dirt bikes on it several times. Honestly, if you drive correctly, you wont even know its there other then a slight drag at take off.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Sorry to revive a super old thread but I am looking to get a trailer hitch for my 09 WRX hatch. Only problem is I have a q300 exhaust and I am wondering If I can make a curt hitch or draw tite hitch like that fit with some long exhaust hangers? Has anyone seen it done?

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts