Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Everyone-

I've got a 2.5i Sedan with manual transmission.

As the weather has gotten nicer here in the east, I've of course had the windows open more and more and have now heard noises my car makes on the outside.

I notice when I put the car into reverse, after a second or two of movement to the rear, i sometimes hear some sort of metal clank just once, a noise I presume is coming from the transmission, would this be normal?

Additionally, I have heard what I think was a similar noise several times when shifting from 1st to 2nd, again after a very short period of movement.

I have owned manual cars for the last 10 years and have never heard sounds like these before. I have had 2 GM's (Camaros when I was 16-18 hahaha what did I know), 2 VW's and my Fiancee has a Honda, all have been manual.
I've of course heard normal shifting sounds, but never anything where it's a single "CLANK". I have never owned a subaru.

Any advice?

·
Registered
519 Posts
That could be your brake pads shifting back and forth in the calipers and not your transmission at all. It is "normal" LOL.

Seth

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Some other folks have discussed this before.....and deemed it normal.... I know how you feel about the noise, I was a bit uneasy myself at 1st.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
strange... Brake pads shifting into place?! WTF is that nonsense.

Is it Japanese? ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Subarus make all kinds of weird noises. I've gotten used to it.

My car's driveline has whined pretty loudly since the day I drove it off the lot. My Forester's did too. The shift linkage is also ungodly loud.

People on the sidewalk hear brrrrrrrrrCHANKmmbrrrrrrrr when I drive by.

All normal. :)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
subarus are loud

the transmission will whine and make a semi grinding noise when coasting in-gear

THIS IS NORMAL

also your brake pads will "snap" forward/backwards if you've been sitting or holding the brakes for a while

THIS IS NORMAL TOO

if it really bugs you, take the pads out and put some brake pad grease on the tabs and on the backs -- this should prevent them from getting stuck in the first place

1 - 7 of 7 Posts