Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its cold out by me now, and when i first turn on my car, sometimes its hard to get into gear like its frozen and im not sure if its because my short shifter or it just needs to warm up because once it does the shifting is fine. this is my frist manual car so im not sure what it is, any idea?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
It has to do with the short shifter, since it changes the geometery of the shift linkage you can sometimes not get it into gear properly. It sucks but it is part of the game, with the STI short shifter they actually change the shift linkage too. Something that would really help with the short shifter is shifter bushings, it will make a nice difference in the shifting.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I would have to say it isn't all the Short Shifter although I would not be suprised if it was a major contributor. I am on my third Subaru and thay have all shifted hard when it is cold. If it shifts hard after a few minutes of driving, then you have other problems.

·
Registered
717 Posts
yea i get the same kind of problem when it gets really cold, but its fine after i row through the gears once or twice.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I am not saying the SS is the main cause as I have had this problem both in this car and my old 04 Rex. The cold does affect the trans on the subie at start up.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I was in some -18 degree (F) weather, with -42 wind chill a couple of weeks ago and the transmission felt literally like slush until warmed up. Once I get ~5k on it I'm switching over to synthetic fluid.

But to speak to your question, it was more difficult, but not "hard" so to speak, just more resistance.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea once its warmed up theres really no problem, its realtively smooth but its not effortless which is what i like

·
Registered
519 Posts
My problem is when it is cold the downshift from 2 to 1 is where mine gets hung up a little until the car is warmed up. Once I drive for a while it goes away.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yea same here, first i hard to put back.. so i put second first and after its easier to put in first gear.. but its warming up quickly
im thinking of puttng Royal purple synchromax tranny oil which is great in winter, lots of people i know are using it and it feel less think in cold weather

·
Registered
359 Posts
I've experienced some problems getting the car into reverse, somehow I don't see forty degree mornings in socal being my problem. Could be I have less than 1500 miles on my car?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Hey socal I have experienced that on a couple of different makes of cars. When you can't get it into reverse put into first gear then reverse. Seems to work well for me. I am not sure if it is a safety thing so you cant go from 5th to reverse on the highway or just and nuance in manual tranny.

Seth

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
yea when i have problem shifting its when its -25 morning start

·
Registered
519 Posts
I don't miss the cold Canadian mornings and when I move from Utah I won't miss the cold mornings here either. Looking forward to South Carolina. LOL

Seth

·
Registered
359 Posts
Good call , I'll give that a shot. When the problem presented itself I tried going from 2nd to reverse. Maybe 1st to reverse will work better

·
Registered
519 Posts
It has always worked for me, hope it helps out some.

Seth

·
Registered
382 Posts
Good call , I'll give that a shot. When the problem presented itself I tried going from 2nd to reverse. Maybe 1st to reverse will work better
If that fails, try 3rd to Reverse. I have the same problem and found the 3 to R works the best for me.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
If that fails, try 3rd to Reverse. I have the same problem and found the 3 to R works the best for me.
I usually do 4th then reverse. That has never failed me. And 3rd then 1st also works if 1st gear isnt going.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Remote starter fixed my problem :p
You can't you put a remote start on a MT, can you?
it can be done.... they bypass the clutch to start. Not sure how many installers would do it though..... I know of some installers that have the buyer sign a document stating that the installer is not responsible for the problems involved w/ a remote start on a MT car.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts