Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'm thinking about covering the chrome strip by either paying a shop to paint over it or buying some type of vinyl film to cover it like what icy did. So its $100+ compare to $10...which option do you guys think would be better/practical.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Another option that you have is Subarugenuineparts.com offers a replacement piece for under $200. Its factory painted to match your car.

·
Registered
369 Posts
^^^ But that's only if you have the hatch.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Who would buy the sedan? Kidding... ;D

Good point though.

·
Registered
164 Posts
its such a small peice that even if you have to re-do it once a year or so its still worth it. I really like the vinyl idea... turn it into like black chrome or something....

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
i was playing with that idea but ive been told by every tint shop ive been to that its not worth it. screw them im gonna do it! haha. even if its only till i have the $ for the color matched piece. ill post some pics once i have it done

·
Registered
51 Posts
ive been told, by quite a few different people now, that the type of plastic its made of "breathes" so if you put a vinyl overlay or paint it, eventually it will bubble.
Vinyl is porous, as well - evidenced by water evaporating from lamin-x installations. Might not be a problem?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it bubbling. I paint cars for a living and painted mine 9 months ago. I have yet to see any blistering, lifting, or any problems with the paint. As long as it is prepped and painted right you shouldn't have any problems. Pretty much everything plastic breaths to some degree, including the front and rear bumpers. Most cases for paint failure on plastic is due to poorly prepped surfaces. There is a mold release agent on plastic, and without using the proper plastic cleaner, leftover mold release creates a poor surface for adhesion. If you are unsure about doing it yourself, take it to a reputable bodyshop and have them do it. Also, if it a good bodyshop, most likely they will warranty their work. At my shop we lifetime warranty all our work, and if there was a problem with the paint we fix it for free no questions asked. Just shop around, and if you can find a good shop that uses Dupont products. I have used many different paints and Dupont is by far the best I have used. Dupont has great color matches and is very durable. Im sure most shops could do it for you for under $100. If you decide to paint it yourself PM me and I can give you good step by step directions on doing it the right way.

·
Registered
37 Posts
has anybody ordered the painted STI Rear Hatch Trim from Subarugenuineparts.com ??
the description is a little vague.. does it come with the stock Subaru logo or is it empty?
and how much stuff do you need to take apart to replace the trim? i can't stand the chrome =\

·
Registered
230 Posts
The STI trim does not come with the Subie logo piece. You will have to order it separately. Make sure you order the STI Subie logo.

·
Registered
37 Posts
i should clarify, i don't have an STI.. i just want to know if there is any badge on the replacement strip at all.. if not, i'm assuming i can use the stock badge. thanks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts