Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I really like to do a turbo upgrade. I wanted too see what all you guys think.

I want to keep stock fitment. Goals at least 300/300 but nothing wrong with more power. Recommendations?

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
231 Posts
Just upgrade to a vf-52. Get a down pipe as well. Also Torqued performance had a tune for 08's that upgrade to the 52 so you don't have to worry about a protune

·
Registered
940 Posts
Why spend money on a small turbo when you can get a bigger one for a little bit more? I would say think about where you want to go with the car. Is 300 really going to be your stopping point? For most people who start there, more power usually comes later. I would say save your money for a bigger turbo if you are going to upgrade it. Then spend the money on a custom tune. Not only will you get more power but the tune will be specific to your car = safer! Make sure when you go to buy injectors that you get ones that are bigger than your 1st power goals. Give yourself room to grow into them down the road.

That is my $0.02

·
Registered
957 Posts
from my perspective, if you dont plan on going built, dont get anything larger than a 68HTA / VF52. if you cant afford a built block you cant afford anything bigger. Too many people cracked pistons already.

do you really need over 320-330 WHP? If you do get another car, a WRX isnt made to handle that. You'll save yourself a shit ton of money that way. might sound a bit harsh, but you are bound to have issues down the road.

you'll thank me later trust me :) I helped assemble a built block this summer and all the stuff / fitment job required is plain unreal. cost goes through the roof and if you dont do it yourself, i can see labor being incredibly expansive. The whole deal grossed me out too much, and suddenly my vf52 doesnt seem as bad as people make it out to be :)

food for thoughts ..

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
I've been thinking of upgrading from my VF48 lately. Maybe a TD06 20G or a Dom3...something along those lines. On E85, the VF48 made 378/445. I've realized that I definitely don't need more power. With the right tune, the VF's can be quite impressive. I honestly don't see any need for anything more on a daily driver. With that said, if you have the funds to build your block, why not go bigger?

·
Registered
941 Posts
from my perspective, if you dont plan on going built, dont get anything larger than a 68HTA / VF52. if you cant afford a built block you cant afford anything bigger. Too many people cracked pistons already.

do you really need over 320-330 WHP? If you do get another car, a WRX isnt made to handle that. You'll save yourself a shit ton of money that way. might sound a bit harsh, but you are bound to have issues down the road.

you'll thank me later trust me :) I helped assemble a built block this summer and all the stuff / fitment job required is plain unreal. cost goes through the roof and if you dont do it yourself, i can see labor being incredibly expansive. The whole deal grossed me out too much, and suddenly my vf52 doesnt seem as bad as people make it out to be :)

food for thoughts ..
I agree with this. The VF52 will meet your power goals and can be found used for $500 or so. It is also a direct bolt on and will take very minimal work. With E85 you could push it to around 350WHP.

If you went up to something 20G-size or larger, there is a LOT more work/cost involved. At minimum you need to upgrade the fuel system and run a front mount intercooler. To be safe you would also need to do do a motor build.

I say go with a used VF52 for now. It is by far the easiest and cheapest option, and if you have a craving for more power later, you can probably sell it for about as much as you bought it for.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would go with a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
The one thing no one ever mentions is that you don't have to run 20+psi on a big turbo. If 16 psi tapered to say 14 on a 20g will keep your motor together, and get you in the low to mid 300's then why not go that route.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I would go with a bigger turbo and supporting mods.
The one thing no one ever mentions is that you don't have to run 20+psi on a big turbo. If 16 psi tapered to say 14 on a 20g will keep your motor together, and get you in the low to mid 300's then why not go that route.
i totally agree with you, but who does that. everybody says it but i have yet to see somebody with a low boost tune ::) "conservative" 375 WHP lmfao

·
Registered
173 Posts
^... thats what my plan is... I have decided that since im not going to go e85, im skipping out on the hta68, and am gonna go conservative 20g... not pushing limits since it will be my DD. im a TP stage 3 now with the vf52, so i have most of the supporting mods needed for the 20g.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
i totally agree with you, but who does that. everybody says it but i have yet to see somebody with a low boost tune ::) "conservative" 375 WHP lmfao
I will be once my P&L rotated 3076r & aquamist kit go it, she'll be on low boost for a while....that is while I pile up the parts to build the motor ;D

With all the different turbo options on the market, it does make the choice harder. If you upgrade to a vf52, at some point you will want more power once you get used to it.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I will be once my P&L rotated 3076r & aquamist kit go it, she'll be on low boost for a while....that is while I pile up the parts to build the motor ;D

With all the different turbo options on the market, it does make the choice harder. If you upgrade to a vf52, at some point you will want more power once you get used to it.
its exactly my point. you are building ;) my whole argument is about how nobody makes long term plans on big snail with low boost on stock internals cause without forged internals its not even worth upgrading since you are basically only putting yourself at risk in the middle / long term. if i went for a built engine id like a larger turbo too (think fp hta green :) )

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well I still want strait bolt up. Stock location turbo. For now. So looks like vf52 works

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
As far as the OP topic goes-
VF52 is enough for power/torque range listed. But personally, I would want to go past a stock turbo. And if you pay for something only slightly more power, why buy it at all?
Synergy has some up-turns available that are direct bolt-ons (of various sizes) for our cars.

Some other parts of the topic mentioned-
I plan on getting a bigger turbo and keeping it conservative (w/o over stressing several support components). We'll see how it pans out :)
i'm still weighing out some options, but I believe I may go the 20g Synergy route. And conservative as in the turbo can take/dish out more, but we can keep the tune conservative for the engine (which I believe 3GAWDJunky may be referring to).

Several wrx's and legacy's (granted, some haven't - maybe driving techniques&habits??) seemed to have held up pretty well with (300-350 hp/tq range).

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah but I don't want to get a new dp and stuff. And got a child on the way so yeah lol. Thanks for your inputs.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
173 Posts
even if you go vf52, you should probably upgrade the dp... upgrading your turbo without a dp is absolutely retarded. im 100% sure everyone will agree

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im already stage 2.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
173 Posts
... then you dont need an upgraded dp.. you already have one. if you buy an 18g, 20g, hta68, or any turbo made for our cars, they will bolt right up.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah but most of the more powered turbos are rotated. I want a stock fitment.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Re: Re: Turbo options

Yeah but most of the more powered turbos are rotated. I want a stock fitment.
Um huh? You can get stock fitment turbos that will gernade your motor as soon as you put foot to gas and it spools up.

I think you have the flange vrs non flange turbos in mind due to the top mount...not rotated...thats a different beast all together

Sent from my HTC Inspire using TapaTalk

1 - 20 of 77 Posts