Subaru WRX Forums banner

21 - 40 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
blazin knows what's going on :)

Scuby, our cars don't need much (money or complexity) to get your power/torque goals.
Get an top mount intercooler, bypass valve, vf52 ( synergy or any other bigger up-turn) turbo, get it tuned and call it a day.

If you want more and/or safer - intake, injectors and fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Would you think front mount with vf52? Or top mount. It can get real hot hear and there are a good bit of stop lights?

·
Registered
173 Posts
im in chicago with the vf52.. i can tell you that on the 90* days. comparing the pulls from tmic to fmic. the fmic had better pulls do to less heatsoak.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yeah I figured. I just don't know much about the turbo's. So trying to find one that will put a Yeah boy face one me will be great. If any one knows like brands and size and stuff to help compare. It would be real nice. I know the IHI vf52. And I keep seeing synergy turbos? Don't really know much about them? I just hate the shitty TD04 08's came with.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If you want more and/or safer - intake, injectors and fuel pump.
You will need injectors or pump if you go bigger than a vf52. There is no reason not to put an intake on a car "even" if the stocker is fine, with a cai you will get more consistant results, more power etc...

Would you think front mount with vf52? Or top mount. It can get real hot hear and there are a good bit of stop lights?
If you don't mind having a fmic then don't waste thought on a tmic. Just note that there is more maintenance with a fmic as they are more prone to leaks due to the couplers/clamps. I'd suggest getting a vf52 and doing supporting mods, you'll end up around 330ish pending fuel, dyno, elevation etc... and if you need more then slap some injectors, pump in and grab a different turbo. You should be able to sell the vf for around what you paid for it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
SD do you guys sell Vf52's?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Oh what do you guys think about the racerx fmic?

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
SD do you guys sell Vf52's?
I can get you a new one or you can purchase a used one off a 09-11. I'll be upgrading in a month or so if you are interested.
If you want new I would highly recommened going with a Synergy 20g, they are cheaper than the vf, have better midrange and topend, make more power across the board and spool roughly the same as the stock vf52.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well thing is I would need a tune. Who does AP tunes for the synergy turbos? I know Torqued Performance has them for the vf52.

·
Registered
404 Posts
The only problem with the vf52 is the housing is prone to cracking when you hit its peak power levels. the 68 isnt enough of a difference to blow that kind of money on. If you wanted a decent upgrade that you wouldnt have to do a rebuild for do a blouch 18gxrt, little bit more long winded than the vf52 and will hold peak for longer, or their 20g would be fine. Anything more than that and a rebuild will be necessary no question about it. I just feel that anything less than the 18 would be a waste, and maxing out the vf52 will make it have a very short life span indeed. Just my thoughts...regardless though new turbo means you will need this to be safe: Downpipe, bigger intercooler, fuel pump, and injectors at the very least just to make sure its an overall safe configuration. Cant forget a good protune of course.

·
Registered
173 Posts
^ have you seen monkiboys results with the hta68? i wouldnt say that it isnt enough of a difference to spend the money on. and im sure its alot more safe than running big power on a 20g.. Just my .02

·
Registered
404 Posts
Well if your going for big power, benefit always is that if you decide you want more later on down the road you wont have to upgrade again. Point taken though, although I'm planning on the 20g myself haha although Ill read more into the hta68, I don't race so I suppose I don't need anything super huge...I'm curious as to the size difference between my vf52 and that unit...

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
An 18g is a waste on a 2.5L, you might make a bit more power than a vf52 but a complete waste of money. IMO the HTA is a waste of money, if that is what you are thinking step up to some type of 20g, the HTA needs boost/E85 to make power. If you are afraid of "making to much" on a 20g then tell your tuner, you don't need to max out the turbo; hell you could run off the wastegate on a dom3xtr and make 350whp....if thats what you wanted to do.

IMO....If you are looking into upgrading your td04 or vf52 get a Synergy 20g, if you are already thinking 20g then go with the dom1.5xtr (it spools about the same as a billet 20g and will make more power and costs about the same) and if you are considering something larger than the dom1.5xtr jump up to the dom3xtr or atp3076r. Now if you have E85 you can obviously run less turbo and make more power but we in socal are stuck with shitty 91 octane.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Are the synergy as good as blouch?

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
What do you mean as good as? I really wouldn't doubt their build quality as Vince of Yimisport has been on the track quite a few times with his before he parted out his car.

If you mean power-wise, the Blouch offerings flow more so you can make more power.

·
Registered
404 Posts
im just not familiar with the synergy turbos is all so thats why i had asked

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Well What is the difference between. The 2 options with the synergy turbos? Besides Fuel pump and injectors and tune any thing else needed? (and which fuel pump and injectors will be good).

http://www.synergyturbo.com/?page_id=464

OR

http://www.synergyturbo.com/?page_id=143

Will the second link be strait bolt up. I will be getting a front mount when I upgrade the turbo.

Thanks guys for the help.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
The 1st one is a direct bolt on but you'd need STi style piping to hookup to it. The second link requires tgv deletes, a 3" turbo inlet and a little shaving of the block to fit due to the size of the compressor (if I remember correctly).

21 - 40 of 77 Posts