Subaru WRX Forums banner

41 - 60 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Ah okay. Will the RacerX FMIC work with the first one. The direct bolt up?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Ive heard from a couple guys that fmic has some fitment issues fyi

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Okay Old thread Im bring back to life. Well I got a good bit back on taxes. Now I am really looking for a turbo upgrade. I decided lets do away with the VF52. Spend a little more and get to really what I want to sit at. I would love to sit at like 350WHP-400WHP and same with WTQ. And I want to do this with 93 pump.

So that said What turbo options do you guys recommend. I was looking at these.

1. GT3071R Turbo Kit for Subaru WRX/STI, stock location - INTERNALLY GATED (From ATPturbo)

2. AMR CXR500 (AMR turbo LOL)

3. GT2871R Turbo Kit for Subaru WRX/STI, stock location INTERNALLY GATED (From ATPturbo)

4. Subaru WRX/STi Dominator 1.5XT-R Ball Bearing Turbocharger

5. Or any of the Blouch that will get to my goal.

If you guys have other turbos that are good or even better let me know. I want to make the right decision.

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I'm not too familiar with the AMR turbos but I'd look at the dom1.5xtr or atp3076r. IMO I think the other middle of the road 2871/3071 are a waste as the 1.5xtr spools like a 20g but makes more power. I'd order the 1.5 with a 3" inlet so you'd need to delete your tgvs and run a 3" inlet.
What supporting mods for you have?

·
Registered
957 Posts
scuby, are you still on the stock 08 block? i would be worried if you are

also jason is right, anything smaller than a 20g / dom 1.5 will leave you wanting for more someday, and wont be able to scale. 2.5 liters means we can spool bigger turbos faster than the old 2l blocks!

also jason, if we can trust his sig, he is on stage 2 with CAI, so add injectors and pump to make things safer :)

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
1. Have funds ready for a motor build if you want to approach 400.
2. Skip the 2871 and 3071...3076 is the best balance of spool/power IMO. The other turbo I'd go with is a 20G or variant of it.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
I'm stage 2 with cold air intake I'm looking 4 350 to the wheels to 400 nothing more. I know I'll be getting injectors just don't know what size and fuel pump. I rather have a blouch because they are a much better turbo. and is it really necessary to do a 3 inch and t v g delete.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
and why would you be worried if I'm still on the stock 08 block

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Because many stage 2s have blown up even with a protune, as well as a few more of us more modded ones.

·
Registered
957 Posts
and why would you be worried if I'm still on the stock 08 block

Sent from my DROIDX
because 08 and early 09's have the weak crank and spin rod bearings left right and sideways, 75% of the 08's of the site had to get them replaced. the later 09 and 2010's have the nitrided crank from the STI as a fix, wich makes for a much sturdier engine (but still carry the crappy pistons). Also keep in mind those "revised" engines still often break down at the 350 WHP mark on pump gas (mostly due to shitty gas, but hey, its worth noting).

Just saying, if you swap turbo, keep the credit card handy. And get a new clutch!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
I would really what about that I had the motor replaced at 28,000 it was stock a blew up. I have a stage 2 for almost a year no problems.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I'd stick with either 20gxtr or dom1.5xtr then, 750cc injectors if you don't plan on going E85. You don't need the 3" inlet but if you have it apart, why not try and get it to spool as quickly as possible?

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
that's a good point there sd and what about the deletes.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
lol if I don't know much about them are they necessary. also which brand of 3 inch turbo inlet do you recommend.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
If you go with a 3" inlet stock location turbo you'll need to delete the tgv's. KS Tech sells a kit that basically plugs the ends, see pic below but it leaves a divider wall if you will inside each opening. You could send yours out to get ported like these or just run the delete kit.

I recommend the 3" inlet if you don't mind removing the manifold etc...but you don't need it ideally. You could go with the 2.4" inlet, slip the stock inlet over and you're good to go as well.

·
Registered
404 Posts
20g+ on an 08 is in fact a bomb waiting to go off, and it will. When i mentioned doing a turbo swap the first thing people ask me is if im driving an 08 lol just know your risks and mod accordingly. I wouldnt touch a 20g on pump gas unless the motor is built already...

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
Umm man then what kinda numbers am I looking at with a 18g. I really don't want to build a engine. ....lol this kinda sucks. What 18g would be good then.

Sent from my DROIDX

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Umm man then what kinda numbers am I looking at with a 18g. I really don't want to build a engine. ....lol this kinda sucks. What 18g would be good then.
Don't waste your time, an 18g isn't going to put out much more than a stock vf52. Just have the 20g or dom1.5xtr limited at whatever power your tuner thinks is acceptable.

41 - 60 of 77 Posts