Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help! I’ve used the search option and I’m suffering from information overload.

Hopefully, one of you can set me straight. I’m pricing out intercoolers and turbo combos for my 08 WRX.

It seems that running a FMIC and an old style WRX/STI turbo would give me the most options, and it is cost effective in comparison to a deadbolt or Ultimate Racing modified turbo. Some posts list the abovementioned (old style turbo + FMIC) as a direct fit (+ tuning); while others say a STI manifold is also required. Can someone with experience tell me what is required?

Thanks for your help. ;D

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
HP goal would help here. Least it will give us a starting point for giving you recommendations. :)

Thanks

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was hoping for ~260-290WHP. It's my understanding that such power levels are as high as one can go safely on stock fueling. Moreover, I would really like something that comes on relatively low and pulls reasonably to redline. Something like an evo16G on a DSM (if you speak DSM ;)).

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Why not just go with an 18g? It's not much bigger than the evoIII and you can get one with legacy fitment (or modify a legacy turbo with an 18g compressor wheel), that way you can still use a TMIC. I don't know why, I just feel like a FMIC wastes a perfectly good hood scoop. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?p=19609338

247whp and 274wtq without a tune.
This should be the most economical for you, uses most stock hardware. Note that the Psi is only at 12.8 and The stock WRX turbo peaks out at about 17psi. This at the very least will net you a 25whp increase to get you about 270 or so.

However, please also note that dynos are all different. Thought I could just give you a starting point until you are "happy with the vehicle's power levels."

BTW, I would never do the mods this person did w/o a tune, but I guess they did this to isolate the added power of each modification.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts