Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an FP Green and I was wondering if I should move towards an AVO380 or the GT3071. I think the GT3071 makes about the same power as the FP green, but I know the AVO380 makes less. I am basically worried about spool times, since my car is a DD. I will probably never bring my car to a drag strip to race, so most of time is spent on surface streets and highways. What do you guys think, and anyone with these turbos please chime in.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong,

But don't you have to go rotated with the Green and GT3?

I know the AVO is a bolt-on...

I was looking at the GT3071 but wanted to stay TMIC and not FMIC

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think that both the Green and GT3071 require FMIC. I might be wrong, but I am sure someone will correct me. The AVO380 is a direct bolt on.

I would like to stay with TMIC, but I don't mind a FMIC, just want to know which will work best.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
If it's power you're looking for green and gt3 can put out the higher numbers, but FMIC will add more lag...

And I do believe those turbos have more lag to begin with...

I was looking at the GT3071 because I plan on doing so autocross, not dragging, but I really don't want to go front mount...

The GT3 is the power range I wanted, and I just need to find a setup that will get me there with a TMIC...

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How much is the Green capable of?

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Since it is my DD, I am wanting the low end power to get around traffic, and enough power to make me or someone else sh*t themselves from 40-90. I am thinking that the AVO380 is the way to go unless the GT3 is a direct bolt on as well.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i'm a little biased towards FP ;D

Lag isn't much of an issue. There is some, but nothing to worry about. For a daily driver you don't have to worry about a lack of low end power either... the car is going to move. If you lived in AZ i would take you for a ride.

As far as aggressive driving goes... my car squats and pulls hard. There is torque steer and sometimes the front tires spin a little in 1st gear rolls. Has more top end power than a '01 Saleen S/C with light bolt ons :p

Intercooler upgrade is a must. A TMIC is going to become heat soaked. That's why i went with a FMIC... and there wasnt a way to make a top mount work with the Green anyways.

I'm sure the other turbos are great. But if you already have an FP Green, stick with it. You won't be disappointed. If you want me to make some videos of spool time and turbo lag, i wouldnt mind.

·
Registered
42 Posts
This might be a bit off topic somewhat, but Car and Driver actually have the '09 WRX beating the '08 STI in 0-60 times, and some other catagories. Having said that I'm also a DD, and my main focus is to basically match the '09 wrx and go stage 2, mainly because the spool time is still very quick without a all lag, and still keeps most of its power up until Red line. Other than that, if you're mainly looking at the three turbos you listed. I'd go with the AVO380, you can still keep you stock injectors and go with TMIC, and still have realitivly good spool up time.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey OGB, I knew you had the Green, and I was hoping you would chime in. When does the Green spool up? Did you do anything to help it spool faster? I know you bought your new block, and got everything re worked. Did you stick with the Green? I have to wait for some extra parts to make the turbo worth my time (injectors, pump, and FMIC). I am selling some parts to make way for the FMIC, and then the injectors and pump will be nothing. I am only basically concerned b/c I know if I go with the Green, I am going to need a clutch and gears soon as well. So this is mainly the reason I was asking about the other turbos. Because maybe I won't have to get as many extra parts. Thanks for the input guys, this is helping a lot.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
Doesn't the 380 still need the fuel mods?

Well 'need' is a relative term... But it's less expensive since it isn't 'rotated' thus needed the FMIC...

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
I know 350 is just a number, but I'd really like to break it with a TMIC and am looking for my possible routes...

The 380 doesn't look like it will break that...

Still trying to figure my best bet without going rotated...

·
Registered
752 Posts
Hey OGB, I knew you had the Green, and I was hoping you would chime in. When does the Green spool up? Did you do anything to help it spool faster? I know you bought your new block, and got everything re worked. Did you stick with the Green? I have to wait for some extra parts to make the turbo worth my time (injectors, pump, and FMIC). I am selling some parts to make way for the FMIC, and then the injectors and pump will be nothing. I am only basically concerned b/c I know if I go with the Green, I am going to need a clutch and gears soon as well. So this is mainly the reason I was asking about the other turbos. Because maybe I won't have to get as many extra parts. Thanks for the input guys, this is helping a lot.
i think it spools at around 3-3.5k. As for making it spool faster.... i have a Perrin UpPipe, but idk if it helped at all. For the fuel system, i am still running stock pump with DW 750cc's. I still have my stock injectors if you are interested in them. Deatsch Werks can mod them to flow whatever you want.
Drivetrain.... as long as you dont do clutch dumps or powershift, the tranny should hold on on conservative tune. The stock clutch will last a while if you don't sip the clutch on 5k rpm launches like i was doing... lol.

hit me up on Yahoo Messanger if you want.... TheOgbizzle.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
How much for your injectors, and how much is it to mod them?

·
Registered
752 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts