Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive been shopping for a short shifter and i was wondering everyones opinions on which feels the best and looks nice. ive come upon the AVO, RalliTek, Agency Power, Kartboy, or TWM shifters. im not too sure if there is a big difference, i was wondering if anyone could put their $.02 in. i saw this link on another forum, not sure if anyone else saw it. thanks for any help you could give

http://www.twmperformance.com/shortshifters/subarushortshifters/subaruimprezawrxshortshifters.htm

·
Registered
8 Posts
I bought an agency power short shifter from ebay for around 80 bucks. I like it over the stock shifter, even though it sits a bit too forward.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Personally since it's the same price as the Kartboy SS, I'd go for the KB considering it gives you a 40% reduction of throw over the 30% reduction the TWM offers. But after doing much research, and constantly worrying about not liking the height reduction or throw distance. I settled on this SS http://www.rallysportdirect.com/shop/mode-racing-subaru-legacy-forester-wrx-short-shifter-p-4235.html refer to my "Cobb SS reincarnate" thread. I found out basically it's the same SS as cobb (adjustable height and throw) just under another brand name.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I've got the TWM short shifter. Really happy with the quality of it, and the front shifter bushings I got with it. A word though, I'd classify it as a "mild" short shift, in that it doesn't result in the stubby shifter style. It more replaces the redic tall and long throw shifter with a much more reasonable unit.

Our 5-speed transmissions aren't known to take well to the lightning fast shifting anyway, so I like the relaxed style of the TWM.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Steve

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Thanks for the feedback guys!

It's also good to notice that we are the only manufacturer on the market with a one piece design for our 08+ WRX short shifter, which provide the most solid shifter you can get.

Thanks,

Frank
TWM Performance

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
00000138415 said:
thank god i went with TWM shifter.. i just came across a thread about an interest on mode shifters.. people have replied and said they are good shifters but they do rattle on 2nd gear! this was just the thing i was worried about before i had purchased mine. so now im here and wanted to say thanks to steve and TWM for the help! im really happy with my purchase..
Glad to hear that! We went through extensive testing on our short shifter to make sure it was the most quiet and efficient on the market for the 2008+ WRX, it's always appreciated to get feedback from our customers.

Frank
TWM Performance

·
Registered
234 Posts
I have been on the fence about which short shifter to purchase, but after reading this thread I am going to go with the TWM.

Frank, any discounts for us 3GWRX.com members? ;D

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I have been on the fence about which short shifter to purchase, but after reading this thread I am going to go with the TWM.

Frank, any discounts for us 3GWRX.com members? ;D
Hi G(SP)T,

Great choice :D. You can sign up to our newsletter to get a 5% discount :) Let me know if there is anything else I do do for you!

Thanks,

Patrick
TWM Performance

·
Registered
67 Posts
Since I used this thread to make my decision on which short shifter to purchase I thought I would reply with my findings. I own an '08 WRX 5 dr and chose the TWM with bushings based on the reviews I read. I have to say that I am thrilled with the results and I would definitely recommend it to anyone running the stock shifter. On a side note; I called the local subaru dealer to get a quote and they wanted $250 for the shifter and $150 to install.

The TWM gave me almost a full inch of reduction going from 1st to 2nd and feels so much more positive than the sloppy stocker. I took some photos of the before and after with a ruler that can be found in this thread:
http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=10986.msg154039;topicseen#new

One thing to mention about TWM. The instructions that shipped with the short shifter were the wrong set and went with the STI. Not a big deal since I was able to find the instructions on their website but just thought I would mention it. Also, this was the first shifter I've installed and took me just over an hour following their instructions. The hardest part is getting the spring clip out. I don't have spring clip pliers so I used some hemostats instead. It was still a bugger but I managed to get it out without bending it.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Snap Ring Pliers FTW!

It took me longer to adjust the new knob than it did to install the short shifter! LOL. First time installing a shortshifter, but #1 my dad worked with me and #2 he works on cars for a living and I did it for about 2 years after high school.

·
Registered
214 Posts
twm short shifter was a breeze to put in. This was my 2nd from them. Both awesome. Just wondering how the bushing install will go

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Bushings install on the WRX is not too bad, I've done quite a few on 08+ and it went smoothly since the cars are still pretty recent, easy to work on.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I've got the TWM short shifter. Really happy with the quality of it, and the front shifter bushings I got with it. A word though, I'd classify it as a "mild" short shift, in that it doesn't result in the stubby shifter style. It more replaces the redic tall and long throw shifter with a much more reasonable unit.

Our 5-speed transmissions aren't known to take well to the lightning fast shifting anyway, so I like the relaxed style of the TWM.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

-Steve

yes be careful i got my ss and as soon as installed i shifted a lot faster which resulted in rippng the teeth off second gear eventually (cars been gone for 3 weeks and will take another 2 weeks) ended up buying mfactory gears and sending the tranny to maryland to get built)

·
Registered
288 Posts
Bushings install on the WRX is not too bad, I've done quite a few on 08+ and it went smoothly since the cars are still pretty recent, easy to work on.

Thanks for the feedback!
I had never done a bushing install on any car before this one. AFTER getting the car jacked up it probably took a total of 8 minutes. Very straight forward.

Anyway my TWM short shifter is the best. I could not be any happier. Totally smokes a different brand one I had in my Tib.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts