Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed some folks planning on getting an aftermarket up-pipe. Is that really necessary? ???
edit: Sorry, this should be moved to 'engine tech'.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
No it is not. If you had an 04 or earlier models then yes.... The reason you would have changed out the up pipe is because of the cat that Subaru used to put in them... They got rid of that though, so it is not nessecary, even if you were to upgrade the turbo it still is not a must, though nice.

That being said it is a pain in the a$$ to install, so I would recommend it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I agree with coop I do think there are some benefits to the aftermarket pipe just not enough to be needed right away.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
so if there is not cat there, is it ok to change the UP withtout having a AP ?

·
Registered
359 Posts
I can't imagine why not. I don't remeber seeing an o2 sensor in the uppipe or anything you might even increase the spool by a couple hundred RPM. Just my .02

·
Registered
629 Posts
Yup, u can change the uppipe without an AP......it'll help with the turbo being able to spool up faster. In essence, more responsive! .......and yes, It is a pain in the a$$ to install, u MUST have a lift. Using jack stand is useless!!

·
Registered
421 Posts
uppipes are only necessary if you're planning for more power. Its best matched with turbo back exhaust (includes the downpipE) and intakes.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The only reason that you would change that out is if you went to a much larger turbo. Otherwise save your money.

·
Registered
752 Posts
actually the stock UpPipe looks about the same size as an aftermarket one. maybe bigger??
there are no sensors built into it. here is a picture, the heat shield makes it look huge.
i will have to look for the picture comparing the pipe diameter when i get off of work.

oops, sorry for having such a large picture

·
Registered
110 Posts
What's that take to replace... a handful of bolts? Certainly doesn't appear to be too terribly tricky...

·
Registered
359 Posts
What's that take to replace... a handful of bolts? Certainly doesn't appear to be too terribly tricky...
I think the tricky part is where its situated and the bolts I imagine are probably tough to break loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts