Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't mean to keep flooding this board with all of this "blown strut" stuff, but I'm also trying to look out for the next guy so I thought I would keep everyone updated.

Yesterday I installed my replacement OE struts. The install was a breeze since, well, it was the second time I did it. I did not find any tell tale signs of air in the struts so I went ahead with the install. Since these struts were new, I didn't need to worry about removing the nut from the top. To install the nut, I simply used an open-ended 14mm socket (not sure why so many instructions say 17mm for the rear) and put the allen wrench down through the hole to hold the strut shaft in place. I then used Vice Grips to HOLD THE SOCKET and turned the socket to tighten the nut. I'm not sure if it even matters, but I took care not to spin the shaft. My reasoning was that it's not a natural movement when the strut is on the car so why take the chance. One other thing I did just to cover my ground, was pop the dust cover back into place before putting the strut back into the car. Pushing on the bump stop was enough to hear it "pop" into place.

So that's it. Nothing spectacular, but hopefully this will do the trick. If the struts blow out again I think I'll have a strong case against the springs themselves being responsible for the problem.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, it was bad enough with just my rears. I can't imagine having all 4 go out.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I think this is great information. The "blown strut" stuff is important, especially to others wanting to install pinks (like me). Especially, when an SPT part could be causing problems to an OEM Subaru part. If so, then there is an issue that Subaru needs to know. Keep us updated!

·
Registered
220 Posts
I have had the H&R progressives on for 4000 miles with zero issues on all 4 corners. I'm fairly confident in saying that the blown strut issue sounds a lot like the probelm is somewhere between the steering wheel and drivers seat.

·
Premium Member
5,664 Posts
I have had the H&R progressives on for 4000 miles with zero issues on all 4 corners. I'm fairly confident in saying that the blown strut issue sounds a lot like the probelm is somewhere between the steering wheel and drivers seat.
Thats quite a strong acusation, if it ends up if i can prove that wrong with subaru, i hope you feel like an ass for a while. if it ends up the other way, hey sh!t happens.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wow, thanks for being a dick. Good luck with that.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Is this forum going to turn into Nasioc now?

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Is this forum going to turn into Nasioc now?
That's exactly what I thought when I read his comment too. So far this site and it's members have been extremely cool. Then this guy drops his enormous wealth of witticism on us. ::)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hehe, I suppose so.

Anyway, to get back on topic, I freaked myself out a couple hours ago. I'm working a late night tonight so I figured I'd go grab some food and bring it back to the office. Well, out of curiosity I thought I'd check my struts for any signs of leaking. That's when I noticed all sorts of spots on the pavement directly underneath both of my rear struts. Well a quick check and a dumb realization later told me that they're fine and I'm seeing those spots on the ground because that's where I park everyday haha!

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have been lurking around this topic - thread/issues people have been having... At some point I am going to be making the plunge and I got to say is WOW!!!! :eek:

That's a hell of a
::)

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow, I can't believe you're still waiting. Maybe they're realizing that they have a weak part on their hands? Hehe, yeah I doubt it too...

·
Premium Member
3,839 Posts
I'm not quite sure what blown struts would feel like...

But since my STI springs install, anytime I go over a speed bump, I hear a very muted thunk from the drivers side rear (almost sounds like a deflated tire slapping against the ground)... That same corner sits about 1/8 inch lower than the passenger side rear. I did get them installed at the dealership and that was only about 5 days ago... The ride feels normal otherwise, but sort of ondulates and dances during hard cornering... I should probably just take it in... How can I check for a blown strut? leaking fluid? Seems to compress and rebound fine when I push that corner of the car down (shrugs)

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
The easiest way to test for blown struts is to feel around the strut housing (the black part below the spring)...most times the black housing will be coated in fluid if it blows out...They will be dry if they are not blown (and you have not driven through a deep puddle of course) :)

Thunks and clunks (if you don't have something bouncing in your trunk) are sometimes a sign for blown struts, but it's hard to tell exactly what it is without hearing it in person.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What Rallyshark said.

Both of my rear struts were covered in oil. You'll also see dark spots on the pavement under the struts.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
Or you could push the front or rear end of the car down really hard. If it bounces instead of just returning to normal ride height then you might have issues.

About struts, unrelated story. I saw this neon the other day, he hit an expansion joint in an overpass and his back end was bouncing up and down for at least 10-15 seconds. It was hilarious. I don't know why people do that to their cars (he was way lowered and obviously destroyed his struts).

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Or you could push the front or rear end of the car down really hard. If it bounces instead of just returning to normal ride height then you might have issues.

About struts, unrelated story. I saw this neon the other day, he hit an expansion joint in an overpass and his back end was bouncing up and down for at least 10-15 seconds. It was hilarious. I don't know why people do that to their cars (he was way lowered and obviously destroyed his struts).
He probably cut his stock springs...so when he is put on a lift, the springs will fall off of their perches.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts