Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll be slowly modifying the car over the next several years but want to figure out what is in store for stock like upgrades.

- the 09s are much more powerful and wonder what I can do to my 08 to upgrade it (let's say if I find someone who is selling old parts to upgrade their 09). What would I need to do in order to bolt on the 09 turbo (would I need an ecu, etc.?)
- poor man's STI. Since there are so many out there looking to further upgrade their STI how could I convert an 08 to run 08/09 STI turbo, etc.?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
You will have to evaluate your goals for the car and what you can do financially 1st. But to briefly answer your questions.
-In terms of bolting on a VF52 (09 turbo), since not much as changed aside from turbo, the turbo should bolt up without a problem. However, I havent seen a VF52, but the major parts surrounding the turbo hasnt changed. A tune is obviously necessary. I have my doubts of actually needing an 09 ECU. But until someone does this, no one knows for sure.On a side note, there was someone over at NASIOC theorizing about why the 08 has zero top end and he claimed it's possible the 08 has cams that are made for low end torque. ???
-Converting to the STi turbo is not simple. You will need STi intake manifold, turbo, intercooler, and bunch of other things (but those are the basics). Or you can do Perin's FMIC kit which I believe allows you to use 02-07 WRX and all STi fitted turbos. This methods opens up a lot of options, but can be pricey.
-final thought: VF52 is going to be tough to get at 1st. People on this forum and on LGT will want 1. And since this turbo comes w/ the 09 WRX, owners of the 09 may not want to give it up unless they have plans to go big. If you have can save some more $, I say try for a VF40-18G combo, or AVO turbo.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I've decided to go with either the Zilla TD06-18G or the AVO380. They're $200 apart in cost (and in either case, $$$$), so I'm just trying to decide which one will be the overall best for me.

For mods just to keep up with the 09, get a downpipe, cold-air intake, cat-back exhaust, and a good tune. All that will put you about even with an 09 with a cat-back. Now, once they do Stage 2 (downpipe, CAI, tune), look out... that's when they're gonna be freakin' FAST. That's why I'm tryign to get my turbo plans solidified so I can get the mods all done by Christmas... leaving any 09's that think they had me going "WTF just happened?" when I run off and leave them behind.

Rob

1 - 3 of 3 Posts