Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at replacing the 08 struts with the 09 struts. I'm not really interested in the springs, as I plan to get aftermarket springs, as well as sways/endlinks. Will I need to order anything beyond the struts? New mounts, etc?

Thanks for any info and I apologize if this has been answered already!

·
Registered
988 Posts
I would order the Group N strut mounts from the dealer or who eva has them for a good price.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Gotcha! Thanks!

·
Registered
217 Posts
but are the STi group n top mounts out yet?

·
Registered
493 Posts
I'd wait till all the 09'ers start buying coilovers then im sure someone will list there stocker's for sale. Then buyem :)

·
Registered
651 Posts
RCE has the struts, springs, tops packaged together- they were impressed enough w/ the 09 setup- they decided to carry it for the 08 guys :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
RCE has the struts, springs, tops packaged together- they were impressed enough w/ the 09 setup- they decided to carry it for the 08 guys :)
+1 - might as well get the whole package since it was designed to work together. and if it fails, it could arguably be under warranty... the springs on the 09 are 40% stiffer than the 08, and you won't get much stiffer with any of the aftermarket brands

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
yeah but for the price of what RCE is offering them, you could spend an extra $100 and get BC coilovers.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
yeah but for the price of what RCE is offering them, you could spend an extra 0 and get BC coilovers.
You could, though the 09 shock/spring setup is pretty solid. I like it a lot. They would be a great upgrade for anyone who DD's their car and doesn't want to deal with harsh coilovers or aftermarket springs that blow their shocks. Just use slightly larger sways and that setup would be about perfect for anyone but track hounds or people who absolutely want the best handling possible (at the expense of comfort).

The only better alternative for people who don't drive in conditions where coilovers are appropriate would be to wait for Koni to release something, which will probably run 500-800 for the shocks alone. Koni makes GREAT stuff though, so that's hardly a bad alternative either. Currently I do not plan on changing out my dampers/springs, however, realistically, if I EVER decide to it will be to konis. The adjustability of coilovers, without having to settle for a harsh ride. I love it.

Both of those choices will likely last longer than most similarly priced coilover setups, and will provide people with more handling potential than they will likely use on public roads.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I just wish the 09 suspension was lowered.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
I sure wouldn't have complained if it was 10mm lower :)
couldnt you just cut the stock springs down a bit?

would putting aftermarket STI springs on 09 struts work/give any benefits?

·
Registered
651 Posts
never cut a spring- bad juju

yes- if find a suitable aftermarket STi spring- the 09 WRX damper should work just fine

1 - 17 of 17 Posts