Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed the UR catted DP this weekend and all I can say is WOW! I havent done any other mod other than K&N filter and the difference is amazing. It feels like it pulls way earlier and stays on clear up to red line. I haven't felt any creep or spike and have had no CEL with out EM. My only concern is that the stock heat shield couldnt be reused on the cat that is right above the CV boot. The one around the turbo fits with 2 bolts and a little modding of the sheet metal. Has anyone installed an after market DP and not used a heat shield for the part of the DP that is above the boot and had any issues with it melting the boot? Thanks.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have the UR downpipe on, I also have the catback so the car really takes off. But, I didn't even bother putting any of the heat shield on, top or bottom. The piping on the aftermarket dps cool a lot quicker then the stock one, so it is not necessary.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet thanks for the info Coop! How you like it? Mine was noticeable difference with out any other mods. Will get AP later when SPT comes out with short ram for the 08.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
When it comes to releasing power from the car the downpipe is the most restrictive part, so it has to be replaced. The AP is great, I have been having some over boosting issues, but I am getting those worked out.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
My shop ordered them. But they looked like the flange, as for the flange that connected to the turbo, just ordered a stock gasket from Subaru.

·
Registered
382 Posts
Any noticeable differences (positive/negative) noted in MPG with the downpipe added?

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I bought the 3" gaskets from Car Quest, and the turbo gasket from Suby dealer. I cant give any numbers on better MPG yet, but I totally agree with Coop, the difference is amazing. Like night and day. I can just imagine what it will be like with the AP too.

Seth

·
Registered
182 Posts
I installed the UR catted DP this weekend and all I can say is WOW! I havent done any other mod other than K&N filter and the difference is amazing.
(...snip...)
You do realize that a K&N lets a lot more dirt into your top end than the stock filter, right? This may be a tradeoff you're willing to make, but you should at least be aware of it.

(Somewhere, in the deeps of USENET past, someone posted the results of oil analyses done on a fleet of construction vehicles with K&N filters as compared to those same vehicles--operated under the same conditions--with stock paper filters. The fleet manager was trying to save costs on filter replacements, because they clogged up quickly. He concluded that the additional wear from the dirt getting through the K&Ns far outweighed any cost savings from being able to clean, re-oil, and re-use the K&N filters.)

For me, that tradeoff isn't worth it. I want my baby to last.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have the stock airbox right now, but I will be swapping back to a CAI soon. Once I get my new maps from Rallitek. More air, more power, but you have to make sure that you are not leaning out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I have the stock airbox right now, but I will be swapping back to a CAI soon. Once I get my new maps from Rallitek. More air, more power, but you have to make sure that you are not leaning out.
The airflow sensor should adjust for the increase flow, as long as you have not changed the inlet size which is set in the map.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well, it is slightly big and the stock AP maps are designed for the stock airbox. It should be soon though.
As most after market solutions have the sensor on a fixed dia pipe, it may be difficult to match this with the actually flow over the standard system within the box. A solution that attaches to the standard box may be more suitable if new maps are not available.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have run K&N filters for years on many vehicles including my 98 RS and Harley. I realise that there is some trade off with dirt entering into the system but in the same instance I am not using the car in an off road capacity so that being said sure some more dirt will flow but to me it is not enough to be of major concern.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The downpipe is awesome Darryl. I had to file a little off the bottom flange of the plate because there is a stud that stuck up about an 1/8th of an inch too high on the turbo outlet side but no other problems at all with the install. I felt the difference immediately, and the sound difference cant wait to put a cat back on. Just waiting for a decent priced one for the sedan.

Seth

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Wow... What a difference with the downpipe... Pipedriver, you will love the car even more when you do a catback. It is loud, not too loud, just right.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was thinking about a custom job with just one muffler but still kind of debating. I would like to here some sedans with TBE to get an idea of which way to go. I love the low rumble of a conservative exhaust on these cars. I need an AP and CAI and I would be happy for ahwile ;D

·
Registered
243 Posts
just out of curiousity hich DP would allow for more hp and still run smooth the catless (OFF ROAD ONLY) or the high flow catted DP?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts