Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi. This morning I checked my engine coolant before leaving home, and noticed it was actually below the LOW mark. :shocked: The thing is, I got my oil changed in March and presumably the dealership topped off all fluids. That leaves me a bit worried.

My question is, is there any reason the coolant would drop so quickly? I will need to pick up some coolant soon. Any brands you would recommend other than Subaru Super Coolant?

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
I have the same issue myself. Coolant mysteriously disappeared every few days. Used to think it was my SARD 1.5kg cap, but took it off and still have the issue. Sometimes I'll find coolant trailing down the pavement, but it's too intermittent and inopportune timing for me to ever track it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting. I think before spending money on Subaru coolant, I will top off the reservoir tank with distilled water and then check it every so often. While warm, it showed low, and while cold, it was below low. Will see what happens.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I have the same issue myself. Coolant mysteriously disappeared every few days. Used to think it was my SARD 1.5kg cap, but took it off and still have the issue. Sometimes I'll find coolant trailing down the pavement, but it's too intermittent and inopportune timing for me to ever track it.

no cooling issues?

I think my overflow is always low too.. I have no idea why.. Ive never seen coolant though trailing out behind my car.

·
Registered
512 Posts
headgasket!...

Do you notice it overflow if you hit boost?

Drive 1 day no boost, the next day high gears / high boost. Maybe your heads are lifiting and causing exhaust gases into the system (like for me)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went to the dealership after work since I'm paranoid. The service rep said a low level in the coolant reservoir is normal for these cars. He said it should be just above the low mark when the engine is warm. He said I could top off for peace of mind, but otherwise don't worry about it. I have no smells or visible leaks, so I'll leave it alone. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
If your exhaust isn't white puffy sweet, if your oil is t contaminated and there's no leaks likely its ok and it could have evaporated a tiny bit. Top it off and monitor it but wouldn't be too concerned

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mine runs low in the overflow. I was just about to top it off and see what happens. It's never been empty and I've never added to it (in 55K miles since new). Doesn't blow smoke, no leaks on the ground and no coolant in the oil.

Hmm...

·
Registered
31 Posts
headgasket!...

Do you notice it overflow if you hit boost?

Drive 1 day no boost, the next day high gears / high boost. Maybe your heads are lifiting and causing exhaust gases into the system (like for me)
This is whats going on with me , running 23psi on e85 and I push coolant out like crazy. Normal driving with mild boost and I don't loose any.

·
Registered
218 Posts
had mine topped off at the dealer about 2 months ago because it seemed a little low. after that it was just above the full line when warm now its just over the halfway point. been wondering if its normal and how to know if ur losing too much.

·
Registered
512 Posts
This is whats going on with me , running 23psi on e85 and I push coolant out like crazy. Normal driving with mild boost and I don't loose any.
I did a few tests on my car with some cheap kits to test coolant for the presence of exhaust gases.

Seems like my theory (engine is at 130k now), the heads will separate slightly under high boost in high gears, and force exhaust gases to pressurize the coolant system. As the systems are pressurized with exahust gas this displaces the system causing the radiator caps to open up and bleed off excess pressure (in this case coolant and exhaust gases) into the overflow container.

After a "spirited" run you can see the coolant bubbling inside the overflow container. And my radiator hoses are hard as a rock after such a high boost run.

None of this is present with normal day to day driving staying below 5psi max boost. I even went as far as to edit my tune map to Null out the wastegate duty cycle table to prevent my turbo from building more than 7psi.

·
Registered
3,869 Posts
Couldn't tell you, clutch would slip if I tried to give it any juice. Not a bad theory, been awhile since I've seen a trail. Still, I'd be surprised if I could lift the heads.

No cooling issues, no issues. Just a chore.

Not headgasket.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts