Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I've decided to join the WRX Legion after longing for one since I took my first test drive in 2002. I have always loved big ol' american powered cars and this will be a change for me. My list of cars chronologically are 89 cherokee->93 Bronco->01 Wrangler->03 Z71 Tahoe->05 Magnum R/T->01 Neon.

I most recently bought my neon to serve as an efficient, money saving, basic transportation and sold my magnum to save money to buy a house. Well, that didnt materialize to well. My neon has been towed 5 times since this summer, I heli-coiled the head, put a clutch kit on it, replaced an axle, net cat, new head, and a few other things. So long story short, I'm 5 grand out of pocket for a car that was meant to save me money, still has no a/c and basically sucks.

During this last stint at the repair shop, I decided i had enough and told my wife I'm buying something new this spring. I told her I wanted something small and efficient to cummute in. The real reason is that I wanted something small and quick, a project car, just for me, screw everyone else, I made the sacrifice selling a perfectly good car and driving a crappy, no-air conditioned car in the Bakersfield, CA 105* summer. So at first i looked at the cooper S. It was cool enough, but front wheel drive. Then that lead to the volvo c30, really nice car, more powerful, turbo, but still, front wheel drive. I went down to the local Volvo dealer and took a look at one. He just so happened to be a Subaru dealer, and while there, he had a new STI.

That was the end of my Swedish fetish. I found the perfect car for me and knew exactly what I wanted. Then I saw the sticker --$38,000!?!?! :-\ Then I found the perfect car for me and knew exactly what I wanted. . . again, a WRX. Priced right and would fulfill a want that I had since 2002.

For the last month or so, I've been cruising boards and learning in a hurry. I think I know what I want and how I want it. This board seems to be better than the others because I rarely see folks bitching about how they don't like the 08's because of looks and other reasons. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but it gets old and kills threads fast.

So to make a very long story short, I cant wait to get a WRX (this spring) and look forward to learning and help others learn about an awesome car.

-Shelton

·
Registered
717 Posts
Welcome to the forum. It might take you some time to get used to the power delivery of the tubro vs any other V8 you have driven. But good choice on the car, and definately a nice future upgrade over the pos neon.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Welcome... Glad to have you... This site is really great and helpful so if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
before getting my WRX i test drove:
2008 WRX
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2008 GTI
2008 volvo C30

they were all around the same price, the mazda being slightly cheaper and the volvo a bit more expensive with almost no option (and 2 door less)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
before getting my WRX i test drove:
2008 WRX
2008 Mazdaspeed3
2008 GTI
2008 volvo C30

they were all around the same price, the mazda being slightly cheaper and the volvo a bit more expensive with almost no option (and 2 door less)
Obviously the WRX came out on top, but what did you think of the others, especially the c30

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Welcome!! Ask Q's if ur not sure about it.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I have owned a VW, and you don't want one... Mazdaspeed3, not that great, heard a lot of problems with the turbo.... Volvo, nothing bad to say about that other then it doesn't have AWD... WRX, well it can get really expensive ;)...

I looked into all the same cars and I will tell you that you will not regret going with the WRX.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
the look of the C30 is nice... but i cant stand to own a 2doors, didnt like the way that everybody can see whats in your trunk.. and the salesman didnt take me seriously i think

the second closest choice to the wrx was the Speed3... but were i live its winter half the year.... and a speed3 is definitly not a winter car, no heated seat and oem wheel are 18 and maximum steelies size is 17"... not AWD and TONS of torque steers.... and seem that they have engine problem
positif point of the speed3 was HID and i quite liked the seat and red stitch accent

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The guy at my shop said his buddy's MS3's turbo seized after 10k miles. The guy didn't even drive it hard, I was a little weary about the reliability of the Mazda, I have owned Suby before, so to me it was a no brainer. My mom had a Volvo before and mechanically the car was great, electronically the car was great, but a lot of the interior pieces just kept breaking.

My suggestion is to go with the Suby, I don't think that you will look back, plus you can mod the thing til Kingdom Come. ;)

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I almost went with a C30 myself after seeing it at SEMA...

I really like the weird styling and I actually like the 2 doors. but then I saw it had no features that I liked and no AWD yet costs as much as the 08 STi... boooorrrinnnggg.

·
Registered
421 Posts
i loved the C30 too! but after i looked at the specs and price, the wrx (or a sti) would have been a better buy. But if you're looking for a sporty lookin continental car with acceptable power, C30 should be on the list!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Same here.

Looked at a Golf, a Matrix, a c30 and a impreza 2.5

Couldn't find a matrix in Florida with side-impacts, plus to order one almost equalled 22K.

Then it came down to the c30 (power but only 2 doors).

Test drove the 2.5 then the WRX. Showed the wife the 2.5 and OBS. She did not like the cheap seat material for the 2.5, the OBS was a little better.

Once I test drove the WRX, I knew she would approve of the seat material. Though she did like the ideal of the volvo (she is half swedish).

2008 WRX best hatchback available for its value.

---------------

Oh, and welcome home.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts