Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided that I would hardwire in my valentine one and remote display.

I chose to tap in off the auto dimming mirror harness in the overhead. I used one of the vampire clips (little things that clip on over the wire and cut through the insulation) for power and then crimped another on for a ground.

Pulling off the spot map light is as easy as removing the plastic cover, which is held on by two screws and then disconnecting the wiring. Be sure to disconnect the ground battery terminal before trying any of this.

The Power wire is the yellow and blue wire. The ground is the black. This power supply is keyed with the ignition.

I put the Valentine connectors up in the overhead and ran a wire down the drivers side pillar to mount the remote display. I have confirmed that this should not affect the deployment of the curtain airbag.

For mounting the unit. I removed the plastic trim connecter in front of the light. I then used a self tapping drywall anchor to put into the hole.

I used the suction cup mounting plate put in backwards (it helped the detector stay at the correct angle.

Sorry that I did not take any pictures during the installation, but I would be happy to answer any questions.

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=0AZtmTRk5buWLkw

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd like to know that also. I mounted my Passport 9500 in a similar fashion (no remote) and since mounting it up there, I've had no laser alerts. I usually get a few each week from speed camera or stop light camera systems around town.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes, it will block the laser from hitting the sensor. Radar detection will be somewhat effected as well, but probably not to a noticable extent. Install looks good but unfortunately, the unit is best positioned in the usual spot, where radar and laser bounce off the hood.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Nice install job. Radar detectors are worthless though.
Not true, ive been saved on multiple occasions by them. I just bought my own last night.

·
Registered
596 Posts
They aren't that great for instant on/laser but really nice for the interstate/around town from the pigs with dash mounted radars that are always on, or speed traps with radar.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
All I know with my 8500x50 is that it has paid for it self. Just the other day going 70 in a 55 and I notice KA alert. half a mile ahead over a hill he was coming towards me. Worthless? far from it since 90% of LEO's aren't going to IO. I will never be saved from laser but it has def picked it up and because of picking it up, it saved my ass from getting a ticket since I pulled over almost instantly going 20 over. Since I was driving a ton when I was in Colorado, it was an amazing investment. I also have over 36,000 miles on my car now prolly getting close to 37 with another 2600 coming up in the next two weeks.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts