Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'd like to start a thread that will show your opinion and input on the VDC and when you prefer to drive with it on or off, or if you have an sti, which of the three options you select. under what circumstances would you leave it on? and under what circumstances will you turn it off? what have you noticed with it on, and off? what do you like about it with it on, and off? what's your preference?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Nice post start :)
Always
VDC off DCCD rear ;D
I like this setting because it lets me alter the turn-in angles and cornering speeds with throttle input and weight shifts. No electronics for me please. Also let's me do a four wheel drift with much less countersteer.
My personal style prefers to let footwork rather than steering work to alter vehicle reactions.

This is actually the reason I have always preferred the STi over the EVO because of lack of electronics.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
it sounds like I dont drive nearly as hard as you guys. As a normal daily driven car, I have had the system intervene 2 times. Once was on a hard 1-2 gear shift w/ a small puddle on the ground. 2nd time was when I took a turn hard to pass a yellow light. It was an odd feeling..... like the car paused for a 0.5 second. Since I'm inexperienced w/ car control above normal speeds, I leave it on. And I usually have the fiancee and/or parents w/ me so........... :p

·
Registered
128 Posts
:eek: I turn it off when I'm driving down a gravel road (since oversteer is safer and more fun on loose surfaces) and when I'm autocrossing. Otherwise, it's left on and it never intrudes on my daily driving. I did forget to turn it off before my 2nd autocross run on Saturday.. I didn't even notice it was on until I was entering the final slalom*. I had forgotten it once before when autocrossing on the stock suspension.. and it intervened right from the start. It sounds like some of you might need to calm it down on the streets just a little. ;)

* I should mention that I was outrunning one of the EVOs (also in STU) with the VDC on

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
It's very interesting to note also that when compared with EVO, I turn in better times in the STi with these settings. Most editorial mags leave it at DCCD Auto and VDC ON which makes the car run quite poorly in racing situations.
Autocross wise, when driving EVO, I notice that the electronics, although making the car easier to control, exhibits alot of stall reactions and roughness during abrupt/strong weight shifts or driving maneuvers. It tends to like larger stages than the tight setups auto crosss are set up for.

Guess personal style gives STi the win for me.
Maybe STi chooses the driver as opposed to EVO driving the driver ;D

*Edit* Not to say EVO not great car. It is for sure. I edged it out with the STi by only a hair (.1-.3sec) from my laps with the X MR but it was consistent.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
when you see the flashing light its the TCS that kick in... the VDC work without you noticing most of the time... its just quite sad that we cant turn them off separatly... the VDC really work great and help a lot.. but the TCS suck..

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hi guys,

Asking couple of basic noob qn here:

If VDC is a form of traction control, for normal driving, do we need the VDC to be on and what are the benefits of turning it off?

And if we are on the track, how would VDC help or not help the drive at the track?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Hi guys,

If VDC is a form of traction control, for normal driving, do we need the VDC to be on and what are the benefits of turning it off?

And if we are on the track, how would VDC help or not help the drive at the track?
some ppl will say the car feels smoother, pick is faster, etc. If the dash light shows when the VDC is coming on, then it has only come on 2 times for me. Under normal driving conditions, it just doesnt come on very often. The driver would have to driving pretty darn crazily to get the VDC to come on everyday during their commute.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,

This link should help clarify the VDC feature. Hope this helps you make your desired VDC decisions!

http://www.cars101.com/subaru_terms.html

Edit: Scroll down just a tad. This is pretty detailed on the AWD features we all have ;D

·
Registered
0 Posts
Thanks for the replies and the link (very useful!) ;D

I am tinkering with turning off the VDC at the moment (except when the roads are wet). Somehow, I 'feel' that the steering response is better w/out VDC. But it could just be a mind trick telling me the car feels differently.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I am tinkering with turning off the VDC at the moment (except when the roads are wet). Somehow, I 'feel' that the steering response is better w/out VDC. But it could just be a mind trick telling me the car feels differently.
Haha you know what, I was just driving home this evening with the VDC off and I could have sworn I noticed the same thing with the steering. Overall, I agree with you. VDC off for wet roads is definitely more safe; unless of course you're in a safe, open area to have some sideways fun :p. For the track, the VDC should help you take sharper turns and maintain control of the vehicle with less effort. But for some others, you can push better times with the VDC off if you've got the experience. Nifty little feature eh :)

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Haha you know what, I was just driving home this evening with the VDC off and I could have sworn I noticed the same thing with the steering. Overall, I agree with you. VDC off for wet roads is definitely more safe; unless of course you're in a safe, open area to have some sideways fun :p. For the track, the VDC should help you take sharper turns and maintain control of the vehicle with less effort. But for some others, you can push better times with the VDC off if you've got the experience. Nifty little feature eh :)
The VDC increased steering response comments make sense as the inner brakes are activating during understeer situations, giving the vehicle sharper turn-in through artificial braking. Note that its not really "response" per say but more turn-in. If you guys play GT4 with the "oversteer/understeer" adjustments, its pretty much the same thing. However, using the brakes inherently means you are decreasing overall cornering speeds by using VDC, however it allows inexperienced drivers more control over their designated cornering line. hence it being safer and a good feature for those learning car control through steering inputs. Eventually "gradualtion" would be to use other methods to maintain a cornering line and being on the accelerator as much as possible. :)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Hi guys,

VDC is a little more than traction control. it's traction control combined with active stability management so if it detects wheel slip it will correct that. and if it detects the car is not at the correct angle (i.e. sliding) it will correct that. subaru's "official" definition:
VDC electronic stability control utilizes sensors which constantly monitor wheel speed, steering angle, brake pressure, vehicle yaw rate and lateral g-forces. If VDC detects a difference between the driver's intended path and the one the vehicle is actually taking, VDC applies braking power and/or reduces engine torque to help correct vehicle path. VDC also incorporates an all-wheel, all-speed traction control system which, when sensing a loss of traction, applies braking force and reduces engine torque to the slipping wheel or wheels as necessary to maintain vehicle motion.

VDC only really helps in normal driving if there is something that goes wrong (like you get hit or hit a big patch of ice on one half of the car) and you end up in a slide or something, it can help correct it/prevent the slide. i leave it on for normal driving, just in case.

but anytime i want to do some performance driving, it's a big detriment, always turn it off. some wheel spin and some slip angle is good for racing which VDC prevents.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I leave it on till I get to a fun stretch of road. I usually don't turn it back on unless it's raining or something. I'm sure I'll be more inclined to turn it back on when I'm done playing once the snow starts falling. I don't find it intrusive at all unless I'm playing.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
THe light that come in when there's a lost of traction is the TCS
the VDC is pretty much working all the time without you noticeing
I only turn mine off when i want to do a straight line accell. or in a snowy parking lots with lots of empty space :D

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
THe light that come in when there's a lost of traction is the TCS
the VDC is pretty much working all the time without you noticeing
I only turn mine off when i want to do a straight line accell. or in a snowy parking lots with lots of empty space :D
From my understanding, and the way that most VDC systems work, VDC only comes in when there is a loss of traction as well, braking one wheel, or certain wheels to keep the vechicle traveling the direction it thinks you want it to be (that being the direction the steering wheel is facing). Because the 3rd gen uses open front and rear differentials, this braking allows it to redirect power left and right to perform that function as well. Traction control kicks in pretty much immediately and cuts throttle when there is a loss of traction, but vdc needs a little bit more before it actually kicks in and does anything (small changes in attitude and heading are probably a little harder for a computer to monitor accurately, though subaru will claim that it is intentional to provide room to play). Either way, it is always on in the same way that traction control is always on (till you turn it off anyway). I could always be wrong and it could be different than most VDC systems in some way. Though, every manufacturer tries to make theirs sound unique even f it's pretty much exactly the same, so my guess is that it's not much different than most other VDC systems out there.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
lets say you take a hard corner with the VDC on and with the VDC off after
the car have a different feel around that corner and the TCS light dont come on

when it does come on then you can feel it (gaz cutting etc)
my manual clearly say that both system work at the same time and that the flashing light is only for the TCS

·
Registered
954 Posts
iv honestly never noticed mine and drive my car pretty hard. ill have to give it a shot with it off next time im in the twisties and see what it feels like

1 - 20 of 56 Posts