Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so my car was flipping out lately... but ever since I bought it, I've had trouble pumping gas: it would shut off the pump if I wasn't barely holding it (as if the tank was full)

I got a CEL for the Vent Control Valve... P0443... thought it was like the "gas cap is loose" code (P0440 or P0441) BUT tightening the cap didn't fix it.

I had no idea what this was so I took it to the dealer since ALL OF THE LIGHTS ON MY DASH WERE FLASHING... turns out it was a stupid spider web stuck in one of the elbows for the gas tank vent hose (so THAT'S what a vent control valve is)

took them 2 seconds to clean it out... $100 out of my wallet. :(

just FYI... if you get this code, check the hoses/elbows for spider webs. the dealer denies that the spider came from Japan but I don't see how a spider could get in there (a closed system) once the car was assembled. and now my gas pumping issue doesn't happen anymore... ! oh well at least they knew exactly what it was. it would've taken me a month to figure it out.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
That is one hell of an expensive spider... At least did you get the satisfaction of stepping on it!! ;)

I would think that was a Japanese spider too, or at least the dealership would have some mercy on you...

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I called SOA and they said it's a known problem for spiders to hide in hoses FROM THE FACTORY and not be found out until months later. he said my symptoms (not able to pump gas at full speed) since I bought the car show this to be true and issued me a check for the amount the dealer charged me.

subaru: 1
dealer: 0

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I am glad to hear the Subaru stepped up to the plate!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Wow, very cool so Subaru to cover it and give you the benefit of the doubt.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts