Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey does anyone know if u need a tune to put a vf40 on the 08's i know the lgt and the 08wrx are almost the same car, and i hear alot of people putting a vf40 on the 08's but never hear if they get a tune for it or what they do. so please if anyone can tell me please i would love to know!

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
yes, you will definitely need a tune. If you dont have a good local tuner, you can always get an e-tune from Clark Turner.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
You really should get a tune with most mods, exceptions being a catback...

With that being said there are certain mods you can go with for a short time w/o getting a tune but should really get it ASAP...

IE Downpipe, intercooler, intake, BOV, etc...

For example, I plan on getting an intake, some catted DP, and I already have a Perrin TMIC when I go to get a ProTune...

I'm going to do all the install myself to save money, but I'll be waiting as late as possible so I'm not running those without a good tune for long...

Turbo is even higher on that list, your car is designed to run on its stock turbo not the Legacy's...

You're asking for trouble by rocking an aftermarket turbo on a stock tune...

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Def get a tune! One reason being you won't feel the true gains of the VF40 until you do get a tune, and second you don't want to see your engine go bye bye lol.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok is what i thought, but i just wasnt for sure. so next question, since the car is almost the same as a LGT would the cabb ap in sgt 1 work for the tune or would it just be a waste and i need to go find a local tunner ?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
tuning is WRX specific. Cobb Stage 1 is NOT enough. Even if you have maps for a Legacy, it wont work b/c the Accessport knows your car is an 08 WRX. You must have a map that is specific for 08WRX ECU with a VF40. As I mentioned before, if there aren't any good tuners locally, the least you HAVE to do is get an e-tune, and Clark Turner knows his stuff.
There are only some items that can be used on both Legacy and 08/09 WRX.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Either way you look at it your going to have to pay to play.. If a bigger turbo is what you want then save up and get all supporting mods.. FMIC, CAI, AP, and a Pro tune.. I will stress pro tune Im not one to take a tune over the internet just dosent seem like a good Idea with that said I have multiple tuners that are well above average where I live, one of them being a friend of a friend so.. If power is what you want and there is not a good tuner in your area make a road trip I dont think that there is any substitution for a protune.. every car is going to react diffrently and taking an off the shelf tune when you want to put numbers down is not the way to go in my book..

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I completely agree w/ CO_WRX. Many reputable tuners may be willing to give you a "imp mode" map to safely get to their tuning shop, from there, protune will be the best for your car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ok well thanks guys u asnwered what i needed to know.

and i know that u got to pay to play, but before i played or paid i went and got the answers i needed to do both!

oh and right now im not looking to go with a FMIC injectors a big turbo fule pump and what ever else. im getting ready to deploy for a year to iraq and i was a vf40 at a good price and was just thinking.

anyways ty all for the advice!

Loser

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
depending on how long you want to keep the car, I would keep both TD04 and VF40. Unless the VF40 has only about 5K miles or less (not very likely), I cant imagine it costing more than $250-$300. When maintained well, the engine will most likely last long than the turbo.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i dont plain to trade my subie in for a long long time! tho i am looking into buying anther one. i think i might pick up a 02 or 03 bug eye for a play car.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
well that is the plan for now also going to add a tbe intake and was thinking bout a meth kit. anyone know how well meth kits work on the rex's? is it work it? any input at all ty.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts