Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, I know it won't fit because of the infamous flange that we have to deal with. Over the next few months, I'm going to try to fit an intercooler into the stock location, mount a VF39 and pipe it in. Other issues are mounting the stock BPV onto the intercooler or onto the pipe between the outlet of the intercooler and the throttle body and the outlet of the intercooler to the throttle body itself. I am basing the intercooler on a design at lgt.com, the intercooler is essentially the same but the piping, bov mount and mounting of the IC itself will be based on my car alone. I'll basically mount the turbo and IC, fab piping out of pvc, then take the IC, BOV mount, etc to my brother for fabrication. After its done (if it ever gets done) I'll make the pvc templates available to whomever wants them.
Here's a pic from lgt.com

Here is the ebay intercooler that I'm going to use

Yeah, they look the same to me too but at $80 per IC, this could be a fun upgrade for 2008 wrx and lgt owners. Definitely affordable compared to whats available to us, especially if an STI VF style turbo can be substituted for the expensive VF52.

I'm throwing this out there for anyone else that wants to give it a shot, its always better when more than one person takes up a project like this so that parts, configurations and ideas can be shared.

Thanks- theotherguy

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Good luck with the project + 1 for ingenuity and DIY attitude :)

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Just wondering whats going on with this? I want to upgarde to VF48 and wouldn't mind trying to configure something too. Where is the ebay link for the TMIC? I'll buy it right now and see what I can come up with lol.

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
INtersting,

Wish I had the time to dedicate to something like that...

Best of luck, I'll be keeping my eye on it

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey,
There are a couple of things that I'd do different. Piping into the rotated vf39 with pvc and silicone hose was pretty simple but getting around the stock bypass valve mounted to the ic was a pain and needs to be rethought. If I have to get another one, I'll get the 4" thick one. Way better flow. I have a mock up to work with now so I won't have to take the car apart again so as soon as the weather improves, I can get on it a bit more. This winter has kicked my butt, I work the power lines and haven't had much of a break. I'll post some pics as it gets closer.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Went back to the regular configuration of the vf39. The nipple on the outlet of the turbo for the line that goes to the tee for the wastegate actuator etc hits everything, not much advantage in it, 180 out would be ideal but it hits too much stuff. The bpv adapter was welded in the wrong place but it works, should have checked the placement better.
Pretty simple piping, getting some pipes welded would be ideal, will hit my brother up next weekend...

Pretty easy swap, buy 1 3" to 2" silicone 90 degree reducer, 1 3" to 2.5" silicone 90 degree reducer, 1 2.75" to 2.5" silicone straight coupling reducer (from throttlebody to 2.5" L pipe), 1 2.5" aluminum L or 90 degree bend, 1 2"aluminum L or 90 degree bend, 2 2" 90 degree silicone elbows, legacy bpv adapter from wbr to weld onto the intercooler and the cheap intercooler from ebay. Buy the silicone parts carefully from ebay or other vendores and this is a $220 intercooler.

I'll update this soon.

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I have a hankering for STi Turbo now!

·
Registered
206 Posts
what about a vf48? will it fit into a tsudo?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The tsudo should fit a vf48.

Just did a few pulls...
WOW
I think its faster than my 6spd sti swapped vf34 forester.
Need a cleaner pull for infamous tuning.

Some guy on legacygt.com saw it and wants to fabricate a kit for under $300. Sounds like a good deal for the 08 owners, he has a group buy up.
Can't screw it up but if you can't access aluminum welding sounds like a decent deal.
Hope this gives an alternative to the more expensive set ups.

·
Registered
206 Posts
pretty cool man...already have the ultimate racing FMIC tho....prolly be able to be more aggressive with the tune at the expense of a few hundred RPM later spool.......

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
The tsudo should fit a vf48.

Just did a few pulls...
WOW
I think its faster than my 6spd sti swapped vf34 forester.
Need a cleaner pull for infamous tuning.

Some guy on legacygt.com saw it and wants to fabricate a kit for under 0. Sounds like a good deal for the 08 owners, he has a group buy up.
Can't screw it up but if you can't access aluminum welding sounds like a decent deal.
Hope this gives an alternative to the more expensive set ups.

Do you have a link for everyone. I think a lot of people would be interested in picking up cheaper STi style turbos, and not spending loads converting the IM, IC and other parts usually needed!

·
Registered
988 Posts
The only thing I don't like about this setup is the 3 90 degree bends. But I like you approach on these mod. Can you take some pics of the bracket?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here's a link to the group buy...
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109618

I changed the bracket again. My issue is the left side of the ic (facing the car, passenger side). This time I tried two L brackets, one to a bolt on the trans and the other to the stud on the back of the ic and tried to support it with allthread. Not perfect either, there's not much there to bolt to. A stouter, larger bracket needs to be made and maybe a mounting point on that side of the ic. The previous brackets were supporting the intercooler via the body and engine, bad juju in the long run.
Going to have to revisit that portion again and come up with something solid. The TA intercooler supported it with the flanged turbo, like the stock one does. With all of the piping and just one silicone 90 off of the vf39, its not going to hold anything up. I'm at the point of just tie wrapping it up...haha

·
Registered
2,252 Posts
I might be missing it, but did you dyno your car with this new TMIC? I was curious what you came up with. I have a friend who would be willing to sell me his Vf39 for cheap.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I doubt if I'll dyno this, I'm still getting it tuned thru infamous tunings e tune. He's good and he turns the revisions around fast. I ran it in the past on a stage 1 tune and it seemed pretty safe but of course the boost was lower than I would have liked. I'll probably do an airboy spreadsheet on it, which gives a pretty good idea of HP and torque if that'll help.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Very conservative, not high reading like a dynojet or even a mustang. 5th revision of tune. Next set of logs on final I expect more.

·
Registered
206 Posts
nice man...how many lbs? this is a vf39 correct?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yes, vf39 with the set up that I've shown. 3rd gear pulls over 19 pounds boost, lower gear pulls approaching 21. Satisfied for 300hp (on most dynos) on a $520 mod including turbo and tune. Its been a long road but worth it, hope you guys got something out of it.

·
Registered
206 Posts
def. shows the potential of an Sti turbo in our cars..good work....makes me wonder what my VF48 (coming soon) and FMIC setup (in closet) with some injectors and a pump will net me...im hoping for right around the 300 mark on a mustang....would like to go mid 12's...what do ya think?

1 - 20 of 52 Posts