Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Depends on how much power you want. Both are good upgrades for our cars. Either one you go with you will be pleased with.

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
1st off, goals and budget.
I would think for most enthusiasts, the VF52 would be the better choice. I mean, 280WHP w/ a stage 2, doesnt get much better than that. The only "problem" with getting a VF52 is price.
So, VF40/46, well, it's a lot cheaper as it's more likely to be bought used. And it isnt anything too special. It has a bit more CFM than the TD04. It has pretty good midrange punch and power will drop off before redline. But it will never fall as quickly or horribly as the TD04. FWIW I saw a VF40 stage 2+ LGT go for 276WHP on a dynojet (semi high reading dyno).
edit: more info can be found here:
http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=4915.0

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
I might avoid the VF40 specifically. I think that is the turbo that was in the 2005 LGT's and was prone to premature failure even on cars that were stock.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I might avoid the VF40 specifically. I think that is the turbo that was in the 2005 LGT's and was prone to premature failure even on cars that were stock.
6 months with my VF40 and I've never had a problem with it. Hit 250HP/328TQ on a 100 degree day on high elevation

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
yes, I saw a thread on LGT about 05 VF40's going bad well before 100K miles.
http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83047&highlight=blown+turbo
I was close to picking up a VF40 from an 05 LGT locally. The seller did offer a great price. But it had around 40K miles..... that seems about 1/2 way through its life according to some of the posts on LGT.

·
Registered
4,657 Posts
6 months with my VF40 and I've never had a problem with it. Hit 250HP/328TQ on a 100 degree day on high elevation
I'm not saying that they WILL fail, just that there is apparently a disproportionately high number of failures with the VF40.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts