Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well heres a video of how the 08 sedans sound with a straight single pipe exhaust coming out...no muffler no resonator its a cat back setup....please don't mind the chit chat between me and my girl lol but if you go to http://216.53.208.226/ the video should start streaming :) goin to put it on you tube too but this is hi-res ;) ***also the car beating me at one point was some random BWM m5** those bastards are quick in M mode***

Mods thus far
Custom CAI i made
Custom exhaust made by me
Coming soon AP, sway bars FMIC and money pending new turbo

Update heres a lower res version of it on youtube

·
Registered
344 Posts
Wow that is a nice rumble, sounds good when you get on it. Did you have the car tuned for it professionally?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wow that is a nice rumble, sounds good when you get on it. Did you have the car tuned for it professionally?
no tune as of yet...haven't really noticed a drop in low end torque either....had that happen in my mustang with straight pipes

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I laughed, I cried, I had a siezure.

But seriously, that sounds pretty sweet. Can't wait till my ride doesn't sound like an angry sewing machine anymore

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
sounds nice and MEAN!! Just what we like. 8) Gotta pic of the set up?

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
I dont mean to nitpick or be an @ hole.... but perhaps releasing your foot off the gas just a second earlier would yield less clutch wear and faster shifts. But great sound though!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I dont mean to nitpick or be an @ hole.... but perhaps releasing your foot off the gas just a second earlier would yield less clutch wear and faster shifts. But great sound though!
ehh its my first manual so :p but thanks...i love the sound....gogin tp post pics of the pipeing after i get a digi cam

·
Registered
467 Posts
ehh its my first manual so :p but thanks...i love the sound....gogin tp post pics of the pipeing after i get a digi cam
[/quote]

you said that this is your first manual did you know how to drive stick before this car and if not how long have you had the car. i am interested in getting the 08 but really have not had experence driving stick besides an hour lesson i got from my GF for a gift.? the car i drove was like an 88 sentra i think.

also you not having any boost creep issues with the straight pipe with out an EM flash or reprogram?

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
learn to drive stick in a honda or a jeep

the 08 wrx has a notchy shifter (especially first) and can be touchy in 3rd (I've had it pop out on me and I've been driving manuals my entire life)

its easy to drive but you should master shifting in a properly broken-in car first otherwise you'll kill a clutch in a brand new car

·
Registered
629 Posts
I was surprised, no backfiring. Nice!!! I don't have exhaust just yet but I did manage to gut my CATs ;D way better turbo response of course. Not to mention I can hear the turbo once again.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was surprised, no backfiring. Nice!!! I don't have exhaust just yet but I did manage to gut my CATs ;D way better turbo response of course. Not to mention I can hear the turbo once again.
No theres a little backfire from 1 - 2 and 2 -3 and as far as the manual goes i hadn't driven manual prior to the 08 wrx

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I learned to drive stick in a forklift LOL.

I wonder if your shifting issue (which I didn't notice in your vid BTW) has anything to do with what's being discussed in this thread

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=1112.msg11970#new

I've noticed the same thing. It seems like the car still has throttle for a split second even when my foot is off the pedal. Sometimes I feel like a newb because the engine is still reving and I'm half way into the next gear. I would think that taking my foot off the throttle to adjust for this would just make shifting slower not faster....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I learned to drive stick in a forklift LOL.
lol thats one way to do it.....only thing ive driven previous with stick is my 66 stang....but i never drove that enough to really learn it just in and out of the garage to work on it

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
the drive by wire is annoying like that

might also be that the turbo is still giving you boost until all of the pressure is released

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
I learned to drive stick on a beat to sh*t f-150 that you had to hold the stick in 1st and 2nd or it would pop out. It was my work truck, drove it for like 7 years. No one could drive that thing that had driven a "newer" manul, no power steering, flinstones breaks the works. I hear that thing still runs too haha.

Learning in an AWD car is also bad because if you dump the cluch on them you wont break traction with your wheels, instead youll stall and put tons of stress on the tranny and other pieces of the drive train. At least you seemed to have an idea of how a manul works.

Nice sounding car man!

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
I just removed my muffler to see how it sounds

this is me cruising down a street (I made 3 other videos but as of now they're STILL uploading)

it's great until you get on it in-gear, then it's LOUD and backfires a little.

I'm going to have a muffler shop fab up a pipe for me (so it sticks out the back and follows the same path as the factory muffler) and throw a cheap chrome tip on it.

here's another video (inside of my garage)

driving around in an empty parking lot...

backing into my garage from the alley:

next day, installed a stainless steel pipe in the same shape as the muffler, added a stainless steel SPT-look-alike tip (made by Aero for "NASCAR" of all things)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts