Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I'm not sure if what I'm hearing is waste gate flutter, but when I'm accelerating (2-3k RPM) i can hear this fluttering sound... The only way i know how to cure it is if i depress the throttle more, but i tend to be easy on it since I'm still in the break in period :( So is it waste gate flutter? and has anyone else experienced this? sorry if this is newb, this is my first subaru

·
Registered
700 Posts
i've noticed if im easy on the gas i might get a light flutter sound when i shift. is it happening when you shift? or while driving?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I didn't really notice the wastegate flutter when I was stock, but when I installed my DP it is very noticeable. Usually occurs on light throttle @ around 2-3k rpm.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I noticed the exact same noise. I had a thread about it here for a while. It was worst running COBB stage 1 91 ACN, and is much better with Perrin stage 1 93 FWIW

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
haha my name is hwaang because its my last name cept without the 2nd a. Im actually chinese not korean, but its a common mistake :p. and no the sound only occurs when accelerating under light loads, when i let off the throttle i only hear my bpv cause i have the avo high flow panel filter. hmm probably shouldn't be too worried about it? i tried searching on nasioc and found that its similar to what they were describing, but i just wanted some verification :)

·
Registered
88 Posts
haha my name is hwaang because its my last name cept without the 2nd a. Im actually chinese not korean, but its a common mistake :p. and no the sound only occurs when accelerating under light loads, when i let off the throttle i only hear my bpv cause i have the avo high flow panel filter. hmm probably shouldn't be too worried about it? i tried searching on nasioc and found that its similar to what they were describing, but i just wanted some verification :)
oh, sorry....hope I didn't offend...I teach Hwa Rang Do (www.hwarangdowi.com) so I was just curious....

huh..I have the avo high flow panel filter and I don't think I've ever heard my blowoff valve...is it loud...are you hearing it from inside your car???

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha no worries I'm not offended at all. and yeah its not LOUD but i can hear it esp with the windows down and under boost. i usually hear it in gears 2 3 and 4. let you turbo build up boost then let off the gas and you should hear it with the avo filter cause it lets in more air (less restrictive). but i should also mention i have the SPT catback installed. its normal that i hear the blowoff right? i always thought it was.. now I'm worried! haha

and to add to my previous post, i could hear this flutter even when the car was stock.

·
Registered
88 Posts
haha no worries I'm not offended at all. and yeah its not LOUD but i can hear it esp with the windows down and under boost. i usually hear it in gears 2 3 and 4. let you turbo build up boost then let off the gas and you should hear it with the avo filter cause it lets in more air (less restrictive). but i should also mention i have the SPT catback installed. its normal that i hear the blowoff right? i always thought it was.. now I'm worried! haha

and to add to my previous post, i could hear this flutter even when the car was stock.
I'm pretty sure it's normal to hear the BOV when you have a less restrictive exhaust...but someone with more experience may want to chime in here

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so can anyone confirm that this is normal? i think i might take it into the dealership to have it checked out...

·
Registered
706 Posts
I just noticed it this weekend I went out of town and I thought something was wrong.

·
Registered
519 Posts
I have a catted highflow DP and K&N filter. I can't hear the flutter but I can feel it, and have since the car was new. I have talked to other owners of older WRX and they all say that is normal of the older WRX the feeling that it is fluttering. I can hear my BOV even with the windows closed with the K&N so that is definitely normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts