Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey i'm new to the whole turbo car and was wondering if somebody could take a picture of the boost control solenoid and the wastegate arm for me. Would be much appreciated! Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
you shouldnt need to adjust that.leave it alone.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Hey i'm new to the whole turbo car and was wondering if somebody could take a picture of the boost control solenoid and the wastegate arm for me. Would be much appreciated! Thanks!!
Not hitting target boost are we?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Overall diagram

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sometimes you don't hit target boost because the wastegate is to loose... tightening the arm holds the flap closed for higher boost that way reaching target boost BUT the otherside of it, if you tighten it too much you get overboost which is not good...

*correct me if i'm wrong anybody or to add more*

·
Registered
700 Posts
not trying to be an Ahole or anything but in your 1st post you said you're new to the turbo car thing so why mess with it in the 1st place?

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
not trying to be an Ahole or anything but in your 1st post you said you're new to the turbo car thing so why mess with it in the 1st place?
where in my post did I ever say I was messing with it? I'm new to the turbo world but i know pretty much how everything works by doing research. and had to find out where the boost solenoid was on the 08 cause its in a different spot then the 02-07's... its near the intake manifold on the 08s and near the airbox on the 02-07's... that way when I get my prodrive BCS I know where the stock one is.. which I found the other night while looking at the intake manifold

·
Registered
228 Posts
i've just shortened the actuator shaft 3 turns
i hope thats not over boosting it

i did feel a difference. the boost kicks in earlier.
before it kicks in after 3000 rpm now it kicks in at around 2700 rpm

it's pretty nice on the freeway when ur at 5th and u just want to pass up someone real quick

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i've just shortened the actuator shaft 3 turns
i hope thats not over boosting it

i did feel a difference. the boost kicks in earlier.
before it kicks in after 3000 rpm now it kicks in at around 2700 rpm

it's pretty nice on the freeway when ur at 5th and u just want to pass up someone real quick
whats your target boost? Mine over boost by .9psi in 5th but the ECU will learn it and fix it itself.... now if your over boosting a lot then you need to go back a half turn.

·
Registered
228 Posts
how many turns did u shorten urs by?

i don't really have a target boost lol
and i'm not sure how much more boost in getting cus i don't have a boost gauge to measure it
i just want to get good amount of boost with out hurting the car

·
Super Moderator
2,745 Posts
how many turns did u shorten urs by?

i don't really have a target boost lol
and i'm not sure how much more boost in getting cus i don't have a boost gauge to measure it
i just want to get good amount of boost with out hurting the car
Get a gauge ASAP, IMPO all cars should have 2 (or 3 if it's a turbo) gauges that they seem to exclude Volt, Oil PSI, and Boost if it's a turbo...

Those dummy lights on the dash are crap, if there's a serious problem and they come on it's too late...

It's good to know what's going on in your car, ESPECIALLY if you are messing with stuff under the hood...

~Mike

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Or log your car with Rom Raider and do a 3rd gear pull from 2000 rpm and the same in 4th, and 5th gear... And i'd find out what your target boost is supposed to be so you know if you are overboosting or not.

And def get AT LEAST a boost gauge to see what you are boosting at all times. And not some cheap one. I went with Defi cause when it comes to that, i don't want a $50 boost gauge thats going to be off. i'd rather spend the $200 to make sure its reading right.

Also I tightened mine I think like 1.5 turns ... Just turned it .5 then would do a test run to see how much I was boosting and did it till I saw I was reaching target boost and that was it.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
what does over boosting do?

depending on how much your over-boosting but it could cause alot of things. worst case engine failure. but from what i've seen it usually will kill a head gasket first.
i'm a bit concerted now
i think i want to loosen it up a turn now
Thought you were tuned with AP already? You should know what your target boost is if thats the case and the AP has a boost meter. If not, screwing with the WG is not exactly the best way to go regardless to alter boost levels. If anything, a manucal boost controller is economical.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
dont adjust the arm too much.keep track of the turns in the adjustment.you are gonna have check engine lights or worse problems possibly!boost is affected by tune,temperature,humidity,octane ,altitude etc.it wont always be the same boost level.just be careful.if you do something to the car a dealer is gonna know you messed with it and youll be paying for repairs.good luck.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts