Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Didn't really see any threads on this subject, and well, I'm totally new to boosted car applications. My question is this: With the V2 AccessPort flashing to different octane fuel maps, will the reflash also control the wastegate settings? I.e., when running 87 obviously you can't run as much boost as 91, 93, 97, etc.

Or, will I need to either get a new mechanical or electronic wastegate and adjust it. Or, can the ECU control this as well?

I really am totally ignorant how this part of the process works.

·
Registered
549 Posts
um... even if your car is all stock on a wrx. you should be running at least 91.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
^^^

This I fully realize, but the question remains the same. I'm trying to understand how wastegates are controlled for the most part, and if using at AccessPort to reflash the ECU would change the wastegate to raise/lower boost.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
^^^

This I fully realize, but the question remains the same. I'm trying to understand how wastegates are controlled for the most part, and if using at AccessPort to reflash the ECU would change the wastegate to raise/lower boost.
With a little bit of research you can find anything!! ::) This complete document should cover just about any tuning/wastegate question you have... I hope it helps ;D

http://www.cobbforums.com/forums/images/AccessTUNERSoftwareCalibrationTuningGuidesSubarusv111.pdf

Starting on page 12... How Subaru’s Factory Boost Control System Works

Bottom of page 14

"A wastegate actuator's function is to control the wastegate valve. The wastegate valve manages the exhaust energy
being directed into or by-passing the turbine housing. If the wastegate valve is fully closed, more exhaust energy is directed into the turbine housing causing
the shaft speed of the turbo charger to increase and the relative pressure (boost) to increase, all within the efficiency range of the turbo. If the wastegate valve
is opened the exhaust energy by-passes the turbine wheel and goes into the downpipe so that the turbo shaft speed decreases or remains constant. Opening
the wastegate valve will generally lower relative pressure (boost) produced by the turbo.

The factory boost control system bleeds pressure away from the wastegate actuator to the intake or turbo inlet pipe. With this device set at 0% wastegate
duty cycle through the ECM calibration, all of the air pressure generated at the compressor housing will be applied to the wastegate actuator forcing the
wastegate valve to fully open. When the wastegate actuator is fully open, the vehicle will run mechanical boost pressure which can be anything from 7-11psi
on original equipment manufacturer (OEM) turbochargers. When this device is programmed to 100% wastegate duty cycle through the ECM calibration, all
of the air pressure generated at the compressor housing will be allowed to by-pass to the wastegate actuator allowing the wastegate valve to close. The flow
is limited by the size of the hole in the restrictor pill located in the first vacuum line attached to the turbo compressor housing. The wastegate valve will only
close as much as it can (taking into consideration that the exhaust gas pressure between the exhaust port and the turbocharger is generally greater than the
manifold pressure the turbo is generating) with the exhaust gas pressure pushing on the wastegate valve."

1 - 6 of 6 Posts