Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what does a catback effect.. like how far through your system could they (worst case scenario) "claim" that your exhaust effected it to try and dump the warranty... like, the turbo at most or right into the engine itself?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The Catback shouldn't do anything to affect the warranty as it doesn't do much to the car. SPT, the performance group for Subaru, is developing a catback exhaust for Subies, with warranty. The exhaust does really affect the engine or turbo, it just flows up that air.

·
Registered
717 Posts
sound. no powergains. should be fine with warranty.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I beg to differ.

Yes you'll see some gains from performance. as i already mentioned, a aftermarket catback exhaust will allow ur turbo to breath better. You'll see your turbo kicking in faster, and maybe earlier.

·
Registered
717 Posts
i have yet to see that proven on a dyno, the restriction is in the dp. but if you prove me wrong, ill order one for x-mas :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
Minimal power gains from a CBE. MOre for sound.

·
Registered
752 Posts
i have yet to see that proven on a dyno, the restriction is in the dp. but if you prove me wrong, ill order one for x-mas :)
so, you would rather leave the stock muffler and resonator on? and just run an aftermarket DP?
3" pipe is less restrictive than the stock pipe and i agree that there is deffinately more restriction in the stock DP than the cat back.
But you still need to change out the stock cat back to use the full potential of an aftermarket DP.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I concur with OGB. There is a resonator in the CBE plus a muffler and the there are a lot of bends in the stock piping. So, changing out the CBE will make a slight difference, but the largest difference will come from the DP. Changing out the DP first is not a bad idea, but save up a little more and go for the whole enchilada. Then you will see a much larger difference, and unless you plan on racing the car I would recommend a hi flow catted DP, cause you can burn out the O2 sensor in the rear without a cat. Just a thought.

·
Registered
717 Posts
no if i was getting a DP i would go for a full 3" exhaust. Im not trying to start an argument, i was just saying that JUST having a cat back will give you very minimal gains, if any, on stock dp. it increases more dB of the exhaust rather than hp.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well, I still think that you would be freeing up some flow and it would make a difference, not the same as if you did a turbo back, but there would be some difference. Not trying to argue either, just debate.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I had a Pro Drive Oval Tip CBE on my 2003. Prodrive themselves said that there would be no HP gains. They later introduced another version and claimed 3-5 hp gained. But the sound was perfect for the wagon! This will be an early purchase for me becasue the new car is just to damn quiet! Someone said something about ust replaceing the resonator with a pipe and getting some respectable sound. That might be an option since the open space in the rear of the hatch will just seem to amplifly and exhaust notes.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok im prolly just going to do a catback until the warranty runs out on this beast, but just for my knoledge, what does a Turboback do, whats the difference from a catback?

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
The turbo back can eliminate the two cats in the downpipe, it really frees up the air flow and makes nice horsepower gains. It is really the way to go, just got my catback installed and it sounds wonderful, highly recommend at least doing that along with Intake and the car sounds like it was meant to.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
who made that catback.... how did it fit, im looking for one thats designed to tuck in nicely where the old one did, and of course still maintain my duel exhaust

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
who made that catback.... how did it fit, im looking for one thats designed to tuck in nicely where the old one did, and of course still maintain my duel exhaust
Do you have the sedan? I got my exhaust from Ultimate-Racing. It fits great, looks like it is stock.

Attachments

1 - 18 of 18 Posts