Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- can anyone tell me what the real use of the TACHOMETER?
- what is the real benefit to high-performance driving?
- why is it in the middle of the console (compared to average/normal cars)?
- anything else that i (a newbie) should know about?

thanks in advanced!!!
:)

·
Registered
549 Posts
just curious......but do you already own a wrx?

·
Registered
549 Posts
just figured.. if you buy a car like that, you would already know the answers to your questions. :) ???

·
Registered
549 Posts
^^^^ :mad: Dude you have a WRX and dont know what the tach is for? do you have an automatic i hope you do!
seriously! he says its an STI !!

·
Registered
327 Posts
- can anyone tell me what the real use of the TACHOMETER?
- what is the real benefit to high-performance driving?
- why is it in the middle of the console (compared to average/normal cars)?
- anything else that i (a newbie) should know about?

thanks in advanced!!!
:)
1. Wiki says - "A tachometer is an instrument that measures the rotation speed of a shaft or disk, as in a motor or other machine." In the car world, the tach reads the RPMS(revolutions per minute) of the engine.
2. The benefit would be to allow you to see where to shift to get the most power. Once you reach a certain rpm you start to lose power.(I believe, not really lose power, but you aren't making any more). Another benefit would be seeing where to shift to get the most MPG.(Usually between 2200-2500RPMS)
3. I am not sure. I often wonder the same. However, I usually can "feel" the speed I am going before looking at the speedometer.
4. Anything else-not really...you don't need a 5" one in your WRX? :p

·
Registered
145 Posts
??? ??? ???

Can someone tell me what's the pedal between the clutch and accelerator? If I have my left foot on the clutch and the right one on the accelerator, do I press the middle one with my ****? ;D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i guess pretty much everyone got surprised when i asked those questions, inspite of me having a WRX STI (check out the link below):

http://www.3gwrx.com/forum/index.php?topic=1840.msg20532#msg20532

anyways, the reason i was asking is that i was hoping to hear another kind of answer - something that i may not know, etc. etc....

for one, i rarely look at the TACH, and, quite confidently, can usually feel what revs im currently in... though im still not proficient with heel-and-toe, i do a lot of rev-matching at high-revs/high-speeds, and i feel that looking at the tach makes you too conscious of what needs to be done that you usually blotch things up...

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just figured.. if you buy a car like that, you would already know the answers to your questions. :) ???
well, there are some people (probably me) who would want to learn more about high-performance driving, become better, etc. etc. that buys this kinds of cars...

;)

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
obviously you know you have a very quick car. i used to have a 2006 sti myself but it was not my first car, i have owned over 20 cars before. these cars IMO are not good first cars. i really hope you don't put yourself in a dangerous position, which can happen in the blink of an eye! start slow and don't show off. driving is an art that takes alot of experience to become good at. it is so much better to learn on slower cars, high performance cars can compensate easily to poor driving skills. you hear a lot of tragic stories about people w/ high performance first cars. take care and shiny side up ;)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
obviously you know you have a very quick car. i used to have a 2006 sti myself but it was not my first car, i have owned over 20 cars before. these cars IMO are not good first cars. i really hope you don't put yourself in a dangerous position, which can happen in the blink of an eye! start slow and don't show off. driving is an art that takes alot of experience to become good at. it is so much better to learn on slower cars, high performance cars can compensate easily to poor driving skills. you hear a lot of tragic stories about people w/ high performance first cars. take care and shiny side up ;)
hi Rex... thanks for the reminder...

yes - i always mention to myself never to go over my limits. really start slow!
definitely one cannot become a good driver overnight...

·
Registered
0 Posts
I'm glad you know that Alfred. Take it easy on your Sti and learn at your own pace. IMO, you're still to early to play with heel-toe. Learn to feel your car first. Many young people think they are natural born F1 drivers the moment they get their license. I know, coz I was that age once. I took my dad's car out and drove my friends around town like a bat out of hell the day I got mine.

Had another friend whose rich dad bought him a sports car (think its was a BMW Z3), the day he got his license. A few months later, he got himself and his girlfriend killed while speeding on the highway trying to race some ppl. That was about 14 years back. I'm not trying to judge you or anything, just sharing my thoughts. :)

·
Registered
498 Posts
Old guy chiming in...Go to a performance driving school!

·
Registered
421 Posts
okok.. heres my take on a tachometer. It isn't designed for you to stare at while driving. Also, its not designed for you to heel toe. I heel-toe on the track and on the street by feel.

it justs give you an idea if you over-rev the car on downshifts, and when to shift when drag racing.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts