Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for experience on what CAIs people have used on a 08 wrx sedan? Also this will be added the same time the dp and cbe is installed and a stage 2.

Open to suggestions

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How is install and performance over the K&N?

·
Registered
214 Posts
The difference in CAI's or short rams will not benefit or restrict you at your power level. It's really preference of looks and what you think is constructed well.

·
Registered
182 Posts
install is easy, takes 45 min to an hour tops. I like the aem bc it uses a dry filter. I also like it because its been shown to provide the most consistent flow and give the least amount of headaches. Cant vouch for the other intakes out there, but i was recommended the aem by like 3 tuners, so thats what i got

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The difference in CAI's or short rams will not benefit or restrict you at your power level. It's really preference of looks and what you think is constructed well.
Really? Its only a cosmetic upgrade and possibly sound?

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
install is easy, takes 45 min to an hour tops. I like the aem bc it uses a dry filter. I also like it because its been shown to provide the most consistent flow and give the least amount of headaches. Cant vouch for the other intakes out there, but i was recommended the aem by like 3 tuners, so thats what i got
Sounds like a legit reason to go with AEM, thanks!

·
Super Moderator
5,411 Posts
i think you mentioned in a previous thread you were going or are currently on a torquedperformance map. if so, talk to your tuner who is eric, and just go with what he recommends. some of the popular options are a laborious pain to "get right" because of their design.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i think you mentioned in a previous thread you were going or are currently on a torquedperformance map. if so, talk to your tuner who is eric, and just go with what he recommends. some of the popular options are a laborious pain to "get right" because of their design.
That is 100% correct! Going with Eric on his maps when those mods are purchased. Ill be sure to add that in the setup for the maps what he recommends. Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
Eric will tell you to go with k&n or AEM and hopefully stay away from the Cobbs.....
I run KS Tech and "normally" recommend that to everyone

·
Registered
191 Posts
Eric will tell you to go with k&n or AEM and hopefully stay away from the Cobbs.....
Yup! Eric told me to stay with my K&N because of consistency. The heatshield pissed me off recently when I had a blow passenger bulb though :angry:, so that's something to think about. I'm planning to run it without its heatshield

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Was staying away from Cobb on those from all the feedback I read for their cai's. Thats still on my exhaust mod "to do" list ;)

·
Registered
214 Posts
Yup! Eric told me to stay with my K&N because of consistency. The heatshield pissed me off recently when I had a blow passenger bulb though :angry:, so that's something to think about. I'm planning to run it without its heatshield
My K&N might take 2 minutes to remove with the heat shield. That's why my tuner recommended as well.

·
Registered
3,417 Posts
ive run a perrin for about 4 years, no issues.i even use the foam filter everyone seems to hate soo much.

·
Registered
393 Posts
eric suggested the k&n typhoon for me as well, and i love how it sounds..... i also have a prefilter on mine so it stays cleaner longer

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Good tips and suggestions from everyone thanks!!

·
Registered
191 Posts
So, turns out 2 of 4 of my KN intake studs (which i purchased used) have been pulled and leaking for the past few months. Except now, those studs are completely loose and spinning, leaving a decent gap. Since I've always wanted the AEM and I need to drive my car on the highway as a daily, I ordered one! And I'll just order the replacement parts for the KN later. After letting Eric know of the emergency change, he sent me a new map to start some logs with once I get it installed. :cheesy:

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Nice! Let me know how the new maps w the AEM work out.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Got my AEM running smoothly except one of the mount points interfered with my racerx fmic piping. It is A LOT quieter than the KN, and i kinda like it. However the PSSHHH sound from my bpv is also quieter which is kinda disappointing lol. I felt like the KN drew a lot of hot air from the engine bay so this is a nice change. Eric got the first revision right on par with my last KN log (on virtual dyno) so im not sure how performance changed.

·
Super Moderator
1,087 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you think its quieter because you have a fmic? Overall the install sounds good to go!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts