Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
whatever kind you want ;) the 2.5i doesn't require anything special, so you can run 87 if you like. the turbo models need 91 or higher. i've heard people swear by shell gas because it doesn't contain anything alcohols, it's just pure gasoline, but i'm impartial.

·
Registered
345 Posts
^^^^
im with him on this id run 87 those engines are actually made for that so wont hurt at all. plus save some cash

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
whatever kind you want ;) the 2.5i doesn't require anything special, so you can run 87 if you like. the turbo models need 91 or higher. i've heard people swear by shell gas because it doesn't contain anything alcohols, it's just pure gasoline, but i'm impartial.
All Shell gas here (CA nd NV) has ethanol as an octane booster. So much, in fact that they are now required to post the prescence of ethanol on each fuel pump. I never use Shell now.

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
Race gas FTW ;D
Seriously though, pump gas here varies so much that it is whichever pump you think works best. I have just seen that all Shell stations around have that sticker. I have the best luck with Chevron though.
I just thought you guys should know about the Shell thing.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I use shell myself and probably start using Chevron... but found couple comments on forums that maybe useful ???

Chevron advertises that they only use ethanol or alcohol in selected markets where required by law. They also only use Federal Reformulated Gasoline (RFG) in markets where required as well. RFG is currently required in California (Los Angeles, San Diego, and Sacramento), Texas (Houston and Dallas-Fort Worth), Kentucky (Louisville and Covington), Virginia (Richmond and Norfolk), and Washington, D.C. Here in Central Kentucky, the Chevron gas does not contain any ethanol or alcohol and is not RFG. Please see the following links for details on the facts of alcohol and RFG in Chevron gas:

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...a/oxygen.shtml

http://www.chevron.com/products/prod...a/reform.shtml

I believe its a new federal law that all gas must contain 10% ethanol and since our gov't didn't give enough time for refineries to slowly adjust the process gas initial spiked up around 20% because of this. this was before katrina.

Funny you should mention this,
In NY they follow Fed. regulation about the 10% ethanol...BUT that is only between certain months...if fact if you read the fine print next time while you are pumping the gas you will notice...starts in Nov....goes through to Mar/Apr....even funnier though is this E85...or as GM calls it Flexfuel.....The stuff as of today does not exist in NY ....at least not yet...so thoise who buy these Flexfuel SUVS can't benefit from them by gassing up in NYS....What I would like to know is where in NY can you buy 100 Octane fuel....I remember Texaco Stations(and not all of them) used to carry CanAm Racing fuel 104 Octane...but no more???...anyone know???

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
^^^^ Nice find :)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I too have the 2.5i hatch. So is there any benefit to filling with 89 or 91?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I too have the 2.5i hatch. So is there any benefit to filling with 89 or 91?
Age old debate.
Your car tuned to run on 87 or better so 87 runs fine?
91 chemically burns longer and therefore cleaner? Should get beter gas mileage, but since the car can run ignition cycles based on 87 oct does it matter?
I would do a search online and come to your own conclusions.

Then again 91 is the minimum for turbo WRXs so we have no choice in the matter. :p

Good luck

1 - 10 of 10 Posts