Subaru WRX Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so what oils do u guys use for thos that actualy have done some testing on it

( diablo what oil do u use i forgot to wright it down )

·
Registered
382 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Castrol Syntec 5w-40

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use mobil 1 10w40 fully synthetic, alot less shearing than the 5w30 (which shears really bad)
Yes, yes it does:

edit: I just noticed that is the extended performance sku, not sure how different it is from the non-ex-per.

·
Registered
577 Posts
IM a castrol fan....

·
Registered
220 Posts
[quote author=therussiann]
i hurd lots of rly good thing about mob 1 5w-30
[/quote]

u hurd rong dood!!!

Mobile 1 *used* to be a pure synth with PAO/ester base but it made a switch after some nasty litigation involving a lawsuit with Castrol and the use of the term "fully synthetic"

Long story short, Mobile 1 is now and forever will be pretty shitty, shear happy refined mineral stock.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
OK, FOR THE RECORD:

DO NOT USE MOBIL 1 10w40 fully synthetic in an 08...our cars call for an SM-rated API oil.

10w40 does not have an SM rating (it is only SL), the 5w30 does have an SM rating...but it is crappy

I feel really dumb for not noticing this, I've used it in my past imprezas, but I forgot to look to see if they updated the standard...AND THEY DID!

I'm changing my oil to something else immediately!

I have not noticed any problems as a result, I've only had 10w40 in my car for 5k miles or so, but it's going to be changed asap.

Note: Don't count on your dealership to know this, mine didn't.

·
Registered
298 Posts
why are you using 10w-40? isn't mobil's 10w-40 for high mileage vehicles? all there regular oils (like 0w40, 5w30, and 10w30) are all API SM certified and have every standard certification they can get. i can't imagine they're bad if they've passed every commonly used national and international standard. not to mention it's standard/approved for use in several high performance cars (vettes, vipers, porches, bmws, etc). not saying it's the best oil you can buy, but it's not bad.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
why are you using 10w-40? isn't mobil's 10w-40 for high mileage vehicles? all there regular oils (like 0w40, 5w30, and 10w30) are all API SM certified and have every standard certification they can get. i can't imagine they're bad if they've passed every commonly used national and international standard. not to mention it's standard/approved for use in several high performance cars (vettes, vipers, porches, bmws, etc). not saying it's the best oil you can buy, but it's not bad.
Well, I was dumb, to put it simply.

I used 10w40 in all my old cars which only required an SL certification, and I figured a "High Mileage" oil wouldn't "hurt" if it had some extra protection. I usually prefer 40 hot viscosity so if it shears a bit, I'm not running an oil that is way too thin.

I was dumb and didn't bother to look at the actual specs of the oil...so now I'm changing to Castrol Syntec 5w30 fully syn...until maybe I go to a more expensive oil.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Well that sucks I just put Mobil-1 5-30 in today. Is it at least better then regular oil?
What should I use next time?

·
Registered
403 Posts
Well that sucks I just put Mobil-1 5-30 in today. Is it at least better then regular oil?
What should I use next time?
Mobile 1 5W30 is a great synthetic, there shouldn't be any issues running it.

I use AMSOil because of preference and I get a deal on it via a family member.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts